Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Trick-Question Thread

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

Actually, it's not expanding in both directions, but all directions...like an expanding sphere. And can it be really expanding at the speed of light? If so, would that not imply that we ourselves were moving at light speed away from the center of the universe? Has any slowing occurred?

Ugh...I smell a bunch of partial derivatives coming on...

I just heard on 'Discovery Science' we are moving at 1,000,000.00 (one million) miles per hour. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by shniggens:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

CO2 can exist in a liquid form, but not at room temperature. You have to pressurize it to get it into a liquid form.

Well, you sure are no fun.
Botch is correct, and he caught the error in my post: You CAN get CO2 into a liquid form at room temp, IF you pressurize it enough. What I should have said is "CO2 can exist in a liquid form, but not at room temperature and at standard atmospheric pressure (1 bar). You have to pressurize it to about 870 lb / sq. in. (PSI) to get it into a liquid form - 1 bar (atmospheric pressure at sea level at 70 F - about 14.7 lb / sq. inch.

Why am I no fun? I can be a fun guy - really, I can. And don't listen to Bunny or Nursers if they say otherwise. ;)

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Why am I no fun? I can be a fun guy - really, I can. And don't listen to Bunny or Nursers if they say otherwise. ;)
Really, Phil IS a fun guy, but if he offers to show you his compressed gas collection run as fast as you can the other way! :P:D:wave:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Tedster:

Actually, it's not expanding in both directions, but all directions...like an expanding sphere. And can it be really expanding at the speed of light? If so, would that not imply that we ourselves were moving at light speed away from the center of the universe? Has any slowing occurred?

Ugh...I smell a bunch of partial derivatives coming on...

I suppose this thread is dead by now, but since I've had the required number of beers to post on a thread like this, here's my unlearned thought- the universe couldn't be "slowed down" unless there was something already there to create friction.

Also, we couldn't possibly "see" the furthest reaches of the universe, because light travelling directly away from the "center" of the universe (which has not been established) at the big bang would not be visible by those sitting on a rock which presumably moves slower than light. The furthest light we can "see" is that which is either being emitted by a sun or reflected off something which couldn't possibly be further away from the center than the light that started travelling at the big bang.

Actually, I saw a program on Discovery Channel some time ago that was about a few scientists who seem to have proof that the Big Bang theory can not be correct. I don't remember the details, but it was pretty fascinating...

And I beleive there's really only been one of you who've gotten the question right. The true answer is: "I don't know".

We can speculate and speculate, but we'll never know all the variables and we'll never have exactly correct numbers for all the variables we do know about. It's all just too darn complicated. The only way we could find out is by studying it from the outside. But that, of course, assumes it's finite, which we can't be 100% certain it is.

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

Archived