Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Activity Tracking

ElmerJFudd

Got a cheap Fitbit to participate in a step challenge at work.  Honestly, due to scheduling, I’m doing a lot more piano practicing than walking.  I’ve just learned that piano practice cranks up the steps on the watch in short time.  I’m sure I’m burning some calories… but comparable to walking or jogging?  I’m guessing not so much. 😂

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

4 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Got a cheap Fitbit to participate in a step challenge at work.  Honestly, due to scheduling, I’m doing a lot more piano practicing than walking.  I’ve just learned that piano practice cranks up the steps on the watch in short time.  I’m sure I’m burning some calories… but comparable to walking or jogging?  I’m guessing not so much. 😂

I got an Apple Watch about a year ago when when there was a sale.   I have some health issues and thought it would be helpful and it has been.   I've been more active, but it is odd to see the calories burned from sitting and practicing.   Some nights I haven't closed the activity ring so I'll just go and start practicing and burn enough calories close the activity ring.    I guess body is working hard trying to get blood up to the brain to play better lines for the ear to listen too. <grin>

I never saw the value in one of these smart watches, but after having one I really like it.  Especially being like Dick Tracy and talking to my wrist to take a phone call.  

11 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

I'm three days from being 4 months out on my knee replacement last Halloween. I now have 248 miles on the new bionic knee since the surgery, almost all walking. I've done a couple bike rides but with our weather being a record cold, I haven't been out much on either my road or mountain bike. There's also more concern about speeding and reckless cars and my hands, fingers, shoulders and basically my life, that gives me pause to hop on the horse again as a daily form of serious exercise.

I was cleared by my Dr. to resume running on 1/31 only on soft surfaces, no pavement or asphalt.  We've done a couple of very short run/walk days, but I don't think I've gone over 3 miles total yet though. The couple times I've tried running, I haven't been able to get past 3 minutes/.20 of a mile without stopping because I was out of breath. I know it will come back but Very humbling to say the least.

I track my mileage with the Garmin 255 that I upgraded from the 235 with. The 255 is more accurate and consistent with regard to tracking the mileage, plus it has the elevation gain. Which was really important for me. It has a calorie burned count but I don't know how realistically accurate that is.

We've (my dog and I) average 5 miles a day walking (although got up to 7 miles on 1/29 in just under 2 hours, two days before my last Dr.'s appointment) , quite often under a 17 minute mile pace, with 500 ft. elevation gain on one of our regular routes. I recently added a weighted vest to burn more calories, which I'm missing from the running. I started out with 6 lbs. and up to 8 now. Still being cautious with the knee at this stage and continuing on with PT and gym work.

I joined Strava Jan. 2 of last year. While I've kept a hand written log of my running since 1985, Strava makes it easier to look at weeks at a glance, total your mileage, elevation and hours per week on your activities. Being basically semi-retired, I do have the time, so there's that.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/97039033

Dave, have you ever worn the Garmin while practicing?  How does your left-hand mileage translate into steps?  Or it's not counting steps, it's measuring distance? 

1 hour ago, Dave Ferris said:

Yes it's primarily for distance but it has many differing mode settings you can use. I do wear it at the gym and PT and it counts calories burned there, along with overall effort. Again I don't know how accurate that is. I could probably set it to the same gym/weights mode while sitting at the piano and see.

Some photos show getting home the day of the surgery on 10/31/22 and being on the walker for 3 days. And the removal of the surgical bandage, seven days post surgery....yikes !

A recent photo after a quick 5 mile walk and then a comparative photo from around Halloween 2021 after a 13 mile run.  With regard to the latter, you don't know what you got till it's gone. ;)

While it might be some time before I can go a half- marathon distance again, I do expect to be running better and more frequently by the Summer.

FB898FB6-7246-47F4-B308-773461ECE4CF_1_201_a.jpeg

6A210F74-7253-462A-A030-392E5FD64052_1_201_a.jpeg

BF74C1A9-6A49-42E6-9514-F13B84922219_1_201_a.jpeg

29E30F46-2FB7-47C6-AD87-7F0EDE469DF4.jpeg

Looking good, Dave! An inspiration for those debating about having the replacement surgery.