Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Started the new job today

So I'm in Roanoke...being the "I.T guy" for these here radio stations. :) So far so good...but just wait till the shine wears off of me & they start lining up at my door for a piece of me...

So - I know some of you guys out there are IT manager-types. Any advice? :D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My advice is to enjoy the money and thank heaven you're not paid like an audio engineer. I did that for too long, for too little money.

As an IT director, the best advice I can give you is LISTEN to Gartner. Period.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Boy, you got that right Hendmik!

I was just thinking the other day (after a 17 hour gig) that live audio engineers (ones that work for a living, not briefcase engineers) are truly the hardest working men in show business! What an amazing amount of mental & physical strain to go through for a nominal fee & the chance to mix for a couple hours...

Right on Chris! :thu: Hey I got your voice mail, was at a client at the time but call me back when you get a chance, k? :)

Best of luck with the new job even though it means you won't be around here much. :( My only advice is: don't kill the users. You WILL want to, but doing prison time IS worse than dealing with them. :D

Originally posted by Christopher Kemp:

I was just thinking the other day (after a 17 hour gig) that live audio engineers (ones that work for a living, not briefcase engineers) are truly the hardest working men in show business! What an amazing amount of mental & physical strain to go through for a nominal fee & the chance to mix for a couple hours...

Congrats CK. As an IT guy, and an audio guy, I've walked in your shoes.

I've had to give up on live event mixing - unless the client can pay, because there is no way I'm gonna work 16 hrs for $300, under rugged conditions, while the artiste (excluding band) gets $2000 for an hour, plus a fully stocked dressing room, etc etc.

I base my live engineering work off real world rates.

18 hr max workday.

$$$ / per hour.

Nothing over 70lbs to lift.

Imagine if OSHA was all over our business, like they are on some of the union halls.

Best of luck with the job!

NYC Drew

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

Originally posted by Christopher Kemp:

Congrats CK. As an IT guy, and an audio guy, I've walked in your shoes.

I've had to give up on live event mixing - unless the client can pay, because there is no way I'm gonna work 16 hrs for $300, under rugged conditions, while the artiste (excluding band) gets $2000 for an hour, plus a fully stocked dressing room, etc etc.

I base my live engineering work off real world rates.

18 hr max workday.

$$$ / per hour.

Nothing over 70lbs to lift.

Imagine if OSHA was all over our business, like they are on some of the union halls.

Best of luck with the job!

NYC Drew

You know, it comes as a mixed blessing for me. I certainly liked my audio job more than IT. But now, I'm able to operate my studio on an invitation only basis, taking only the clients I want. If I end up producing a crappy musician, I can only blame myself. Also, no more working 9am to midnight doing audio for a PBS pledge drive for $30k a year. Anymore, all my audio work is of a creative nature, which wasn't the case with PBS.

Would I like to audio engineer full time? Sure. But only with the flexibility and pay of my job now. In other words, it'll never happen.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Archived