Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

With Super Bowl LVII in the books, it's time to start a new NFL football thread.

Here are some recent top stories relating to the coming season:

Indianapolis Colts officially hire Shane Steichen as head coach

Todd Monken leaves Georgia to become Ravens' new OC

Ex-Colts, Lions HC Jim Caldwell joins Panthers staff

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Shane Steichen and Todd Monken land head coach and offensive coordinator positions respectively. 

Yet, Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy has interviewed for head coach and offensive coordinator every coaching cycle over the past 4-5 years.

Several less qualified guys have crashed and burned over the same period of time. 

This is not an NFL problem.  Teams owners can hire whoever they choose. It is their money.

Yet, I blame AfroAmerican players, coaches and fans for standing by and allowing it to happen. 

If 70% of the NFL boycotted, that would  Inspire Change.😁

If nothing else, the NFL game would look a lot different and be less profitable. 😎

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

19 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

We're not through with the Brady's yet. Tom's niece Maya who plays softball at UCLA, was national player of the week. 13 for 16, 4 hr and 13 rbi. in 6 games.

I'm lobbying youtube TV to cover College Women's Softball.   I would actually pay for this.   It's well known that MLB pros can't hit Women's fast pitch.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

4 hours ago, ProfD said:

Shane Steichen and Todd Monken land head coach and offensive coordinator positions respectively. 

Yet, Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy has interviewed for head coach and offensive coordinator every coaching cycle over the past 4-5 years.

Several less qualified guys have crashed and burned over the same period of time. 

This is not an NFL problem.  Teams owners can hire whoever they choose. It is their money.

Yet, I blame AfroAmerican players, coaches and fans for standing by and allowing it to happen. 

"Allowed" it? What are they supposed to do, riot? Hard pass. Had enough of that thanks. PS Mike Zimmer was a successful asst coach and DC for many more years than Bienemy has been around and didn't get a HC gig. So based on that logic, the owners were dissing him because he's white. Which makes as much sense as Bienemy is being dissed because he's black. Just maybe it has something to do with the fact that as an OC he doesn't even call the plays, so how great an OC he really is is debatable? Or could his lengthy rap sheet play a part? Or just maybe it could be that just maybe Bienemy isn't HC material (there is talk that he interviews poorly, although of course none of us can say either way), as many OCs and DCs aren't, and it's not some grand race conspiracy?

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

"Allowed" it? What are they supposed to do, riot?

No need to riot. Just fall back and stop participating and supporting the game. 

I could run down a list of lesser qualified head coaches and coordinators but there's no need to go back and forth or debate the issue. It's obvious.

Back to the regularly scheduled program...

The Raiders didn't even try to trade QB Derek Carr. Not that they really could with a no trade clause in his contract.

However, it will be interesting if QB Carr ends up with the New Orleans Saints. That's a team he would have been willing to be traded.

Now that QB Carr is a free agent, if he ends up with the Saints anyway, the Raiders got nothing.

That would be a middle finger to the organization and owner Mark Davis' barber.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

21 hours ago, ProfD said:

However, it will be interesting if QB Carr ends up with the New Orleans Saints. That's a team he would have been willing to be traded.

Now that QB Carr is a free agent, if he ends up with the Saints anyway, the Raiders got nothing.

I don't think Carr gave them a choice...and I hear the Saints are the leading candidate for his services. 

It will be interesting to see if the Raiders trade up to get a QB and/or if the Colts do the same, though IMO a trade up by either is foolish. No QB in the draft is worth what it would cost. It'll also be interesting to see how QBs go in the first. I suspect it will be similar to last year, when people were expecting as many as five or six and there was one. There will be more this year, but I'll be surprised if it's more than three and less would not shock me. 

The Bears losing so many games screwed over the Colts and anyone else who badly wants to draft a franchise QB.

I've no doubt they will threaten to draft a QB if nobody offers them a trade for that #1 spot.    Somebody will blink in this game of brinksmanship, and make that trade.  

I'm guessing the Colts will do it.  Because Irsay.

Disagree...the Bears aren't drafting a QB and I don't think teams are worried that they will as they have Fields; it'd be a hollow threat. That said, I can see a trade happening as someone trades up to beat someone else (like the Raiders leap-frogging the Colts) to get "their guy" at QB.

As it turns out, bill5 is not alone.   These guys also think the Bears will stay at #1 and draft somebody.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2023/02/2023-nfl-draft-first-round-mock-draft-post-super-bowl-1-31/3

I think though a smart GM will find a sucker, I mean trade partner.   You're the Bears GM.  The Colts or whoever offer you 2 1st round picks from next year, plus at least 2 more picks in the 2-3 round range.  You will really say no out of the goodness of your heart and genuine concern for the well being of the other team?  😄

That said I don't know how smart the Bears GM is.

Irsay, you will remember, is the owner who thought he could replace Frank Reich with Jeff Saturday.  That's why I think he might actually do this trade.  If you say he won't do it, you're assuming he suddenly became a savvy owner overnight - not buying it, LOL

I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders try to reunite QB Jimmy G with HC McDaniels.

I can see the Colts going after younger veteran like QB Baker Mayfield if new HC Shane Steichen is willing to work with him.😎

PD

31 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

As it turns out, bill5 is not alone.   These guys also think the Bears will stay at #1 and draft somebody.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2023/02/2023-nfl-draft-first-round-mock-draft-post-super-bowl-1-31/3

I think though a smart GM will find a sucker, I mean trade partner.   You're the Bears GM.  The Colts or whoever offer you 2 1st round picks from next year, plus at least 2 more picks in the 2-3 round range.  You will really say no out of the goodness of your heart and genuine concern for the well being of the other team?  😄

That said I don't know how smart the Bears GM is.

Irsay, you will remember, is the owner who thought he could replace Frank Reich with Jeff Saturday.  That's why I think he might actually do this trade.  If you say he won't do it, you're assuming he suddenly became a savvy owner overnight - not buying it, LOL

Oh yeah, you're right that trading down is a no-brainer move for the Bears and IMO they should do it even if their best offer isn't quite up to whatever that hyped "draft trade value calculator" says and I think they would love to do so. I just wonder if any team really thinks any QB available is worth the enormous cost. IMO they are not. But some team may disagree... 

And Irsay actually is IMO quite a savvy owner and has proven that over the years. He brought in Bill Polian who drafted Manning and they have mostly been successful ever since (granted, hard not to be with Manning). He was also smart enough to end the Wentz experiment probably sooner than Reich would have wanted. As for Saturday, I think that was likely a PR move (Saturday is very popular in Indy) in what he knew was a lost season. Some argue he even did it to purposely tank, but that is debatable of course. Reich IMO was wise to be let go, I saw some Colt games this past year and his play-calling was atrocious, but I was surprised it happened before the season was over. 

3 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders try to reunite QB Jimmy G with HC McDaniels.

I would tbh, as that would be a step down from Carr or at best a lateral move. I think McDaniels wants to get a rook and groom "his" guy. But who knows...

I can see the Colts going after younger veteran like QB Baker Mayfield if new HC Shane Steichen is willing to work with him.😎

I would be shocked to see the Colts chase after another veteran QB after failed experiments with Wentz and Ryan if for no other reason than Irsay and Ballard would have to be afraid of a lynch mob :)   

Upon further reflection, I think the Bears don't have to say/do anything dramatic to get those trade offers.   All they have to do is sit pretty and entertain offers coming their way.

Talk of the Colts thinking of trading up, did not come out of thin air.  It's based on comments by Irsay and the GM.

The Colts are unlikely to be the only team that might be thinking of trading up.  If a Bears trade happens, it will be because of competition for that #1 draft spot.    Some talk out there of the Panthers possibly trading up, for example.

Personally, I don't think the Texans will trade up from #2 to #1.  Bears fans are dreaming with that kind of talk.   I think the Texans will be content to take whoever is left between Young and Stroud.

Jalen Carter looks like a DT worthy of a top 10 pick, but #1 overall... nah...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Personally, I don't think the Texans will trade up from #2 to #1. 

I think the Texans will be content to take whoever is left between Young and Stroud.

Whichever QB they choose in addition to having QB Davis Mills on the roster means head coach DeMeco Ryans will need at least 2 years to build some semblance of a winning team.😎

PD

4 hours ago, ProfD said:

Whichever QB they choose in addition to having QB Davis Mills on the roster means head coach DeMeco Ryans will need at least 2 years to build some semblance of a winning team.😎

Chargers D made Mills look like vintage Tom Brady in 2021, but he hasn't returned to that level of performance since.

Best of luck to DeMeco Ryans.  He'll get Coach of the Year if he orchestrates a dramatic turnaround for that franchise within 2 years.

6 hours ago, bill5 said:

Beiniemy apparently about to be named OC of the Commanders. A curious move for him. Going from Mahomes to.....Heinieke? 

It would be a pay raise and OC Bieniemy would have total control of running the offense.

QB Taylor Heinicke is a free agent. But, if he sticks around, I believe he and QB Sam Howell will compete for the job. 😎

• Like 1

PD

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

It would be a pay raise and OC Bieniemy would have total control of running the offense.

In addition, he has been named Assistant Head Coach. This would make him the line leader to replace Ron Rivera should that need to happen. 

:nopity:

So what is Aaron Rogers and the Packers going to do. From what a number of Sports commentators are saying, the Pack doesn't want to be stuck with his Cap money payout. That's what happens when a team signs what is a bad deal for them, but they didn't know it at the time, OR ignored it. Rogers can't put a team on his back like Tom Brady could and has not been able to get the Pack back to the SB. It is a team sport, but Rogers is declining in his ability to get anywhere beyond a losing division record.

Time for him to retire to the Golf Course, but GREED may force Green Bay to pay him again.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

"This is not an NFL problem.  Teams owners can hire whoever they choose. It is their money."

Owners typically choose people that are either in with their circle of Friends. other friends have recommended, or heard was available. Coaches that have FAILED with one team are often hired by another team and fail there too. It doesn't make sense.

The Steelers had open interviews when Bill Cowher retired and they interviewed Mike Tomlin. From what some Steeler fans I know told me back then that the Steelers Front Office were so impressed with what Mike Tomlin had to say, they hired him. Obviously, I follow the Steelers on a regular basis. I listen to Mike's Press conferences, he's a straight shooter, doesn't make excuses when they lose, and gives other teams credit when they do. Mike is highly intelligent and lives for football. He can stay as long as he's willing to coach as far as I'm concerned, and a large number of Steelers fans feel the same way.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

10 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

Rogers can't put a team on his back like Tom Brady

? Brady never put a team on his back. He always had a great team/system around him. 

It is a team sport, but Rogers is declining in his ability to get anywhere beyond a losing division record.

Time for him to retire to the Golf Course, but GREED may force Green Bay to pay him again.

Absolutely agree, Rodgers is clearly done and if his ego doesn't get in the way, he'll retire. Which probably means he won't. :) GB would be foolish to hog tie the team due to an outrageous salary for Rodgers. GB dumped Favre when they had to; if they're smart, they'll do it again. 

10 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

ESPN agrees Eric Bienemy's move from KC to DC is not as lateral as it looks.   Also, Sam Howell is the starting QB

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35675202/why-offensive-coordinator-eric-bieniemy-left-chiefs-commanders

I like Howell's potential and was surprised he fell as far as he did in the draft. 

"Brady never put a team on his back. He always had a great team/system around him."

That's not true. The first team he played for at New England was a great team. They won 3 SB's with that team.

Brady most certainly put the team on his back in the 2nd half of the SB against Atlanta. He Consistentlydrove the team down the field and won the game.

Brady complained about his low salary as years went on and said the he gave New England a home town discount so the could pay other players. They Pocketed the $$$.

The last year he played in New England he complained he didn't have quality Receivers and the LOST in the 1st round of the playoff. Hoody didn't what to resign Brady so he left for Tampa Bay and put his own team together and won a SB.

Rogers can't do that and he never could.

1 hour ago, MikeT156 said:

Hoody didn't what to resign Brady so he left for Tampa Bay and put his own team together and won a SB.

The Tampa Bay Bucs team was already together when Brady arrived. But, that's why he chose to go there. Brady believed that team could win a Super Bowl. He was right.😎

• Like 1

PD