Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Compression using spaced pair technique - channel insert or not

If I am recording using a spaced pair micing setup and I want light compression on both mics, would the serious studio engineer use two seperate compressors as inserts on two seperate channels on the mixing desk or are there compressors out there capable of dealing with two inputs and which have two outputs?

Or would you somehow send the post fade stereo signal into one compressor before sending it to whatever recording medium you are using (in my case the hard drive)?

I'm confused about how to apply compression the best.

mac dual 1GHz MDD, 1,25GB RAM OS10.3.5

Logic Audio Platinum 6

Opcode Studio 4

Audiowerk 2

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since your recording a stereo pair you will need a stereo compressor. You go from your microphones to microphone preamp to compressors to recording medium. If your preamps are built into a board then you can use the channel inserts (if you have them) or take the out from the board into the compressors then the recording medium.

The difference between stereo compressors and two separate compressors are with the stereo unit there will be a link switch, when engaged the two units will essentially act as one unit preserving the stereo image. With two compressors acting independently, one of the compressors may react to the material more (or less) on any given moment causing the stereo field to shift.

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

Originally posted by karambos:

I'm confused about how to apply compression the best.

I would say...NOT during recording...

...unless you record the two compressed signals to two separate tracks...and still have the non-compressed signals on their own two tracks.

That way...you can decide later on if you even want them...and you have the added benefit of being able to blend the four tracks to taste (2 with and 2 without compression) ...rather than immediately committing to a compressed-only pair of mic tracks.

Other than that...you can record them clean...and compress them later on when you mix.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

There are a lot of situations where you may want to compress before tracking...especially when it's a vital component to the sound.

A stereo compressor is a great idea in the situation you mentioned because it gives you the option of linking the controls to create the identical settings for both mics, but you still can treat each side as a completely separate compressor.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived