Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

6 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

I think the trick is to remember the difference between aging and getting old.

Aging is what happens as time goes on.

Getting old is what happens when you get stuck in a certain time along the way.

I'm 22, my half sister who 13 just moved here to go to school. We get along great, but we are so different.

I compete in amature surfing competitions, and now I'm getting beat by 15 year olds who are doing tricks I couldn't imagine doing at 15.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
Jenny S.

I think I can beat the current record...I am 20 now, turning 21 in March.

• Like 4

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

@Montunoman 2, I share that sentiment that there is no reason for apology mayne.  You're good.

Also, I wish the other thread hadn't gotten to the point of detonating the nuclear option. 

Constructively, it could have been a moment to teach/learn.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, MathOfInsects said:

Getting old is what happens when you get stuck in a certain time along the way.

If you're old enough to see history repeating, you may indeed prefer to get "stuck" in better times. I'm old enough to have been born and raised in an oppressive communist state and I remember grotesque stuff. But let me tell you straight away. It all started with good intent of social justice and equality. Rings a bell? And they were so sure they were the only keepers of the "only" truth, they didn't argue with people who disagreed with them. They canceled them, threw them in jail or just beat them up to death in unknown dark places. All because they thought they were fighting for a better world, so those that disagree were enemies. Neighbors spied on neighbors and reported them to to authorities. People were so scared, they walked on eggshells out of fear for being reported. I hope you're not so young that you haven't studied history. I hope you can spend some time on the history of communism and the totalitarian states in the Eastern European bloc. Because I swear, it looks very suspiciously like where the world is going now.

Like everyone on this board hasn't had a crush on some famous sexy talented unobtainable woman.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

In general, and aside from this particularly controversy, I think there's been far too few women on this forum through the years.  We should be striving for inclusivity and making everyone feel welcome.  The dudes on this forum have many opportunities to satisfy our "boys club" needs.  A forum about playing keyboards shouldn't have to fill that niche.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

22 minutes ago, ProfD said:

@Montunoman 2, I share that sentiment that there is no reason for apology mayne.  You're good.

Also, I wish the other thread hadn't gotten to the point of detonating the nuclear option. 

Thanks bro, I was trying to ask a question that I hoped could make us honestly reflect on ourselves as people. I’m sorry how it all went down, and I think I could have framed the question differently. I was trying to be humorous in how I presented the question , that’s all. Too bad, I thought it could been a nice introspective examination of our  ( fragile) egos. 
I personally have some experience of being in relations with both way more talented and less talented /skilled/successful musicians than me, and it did have both positive and negative impacts on the relationship. I’m sure others have had similar experiences, observations or interesting thoughts on the topic. Maybe I’ll revisit the topic later. 

• Like 1

How about this Yuja Wang quote and you guys can get over your guilt:

“If a beautiful male pianist wears tight pants, I’m not going to think, ‘What’s in those pants’?” Really not, Yuja? Hoots of laughter. “OK, maybe. But if the music is beautiful and sensual, why not dress to fit? It’s about power and persuasion. Perhaps it’s a little sadomasochistic of me. But if I’m going to get naked with my music, I may as well be comfortable while I’m at it.”

Some people want the world to be a completely non-sexual. I do not.  Vive la difference.

Sex and sexual attraction is not just normal, it's unavoidable. Deal with it.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

29 minutes ago, Adan said:

In general, and aside from this particularly controversy, I think there's been far too few women on this forum through the years.  We should be striving for inclusivity and making everyone feel welcome.  The dudes on this forum have many opportunities to satisfy our "boys club" needs.  A forum about playing keyboards shouldn't have to fill that niche.

Indeed, this is not the first time the locker room talk and boys club vibe is discussed and debated here. Not the second, or third, fourth, either…

And I don’t think anyone was saying that sex is bad or unnatural in any way… just that there is a time and place to discuss it. This forum probably not being the best place. Tact and context can weave a whole lot of stuff into our discussions here, but I believe our moderators prefer we exercise some judgment and respect in all our interactions. We don’t all see eye to eye, but when it’s clear that we aren’t going to agree, it’s probably best not belabour certain inflammatory points.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

I think I can beat the current record...I am 20 now, turning 21 in March.

The first time you posted your age, I thought you had to be joking, which I mean as a compliment. You add a ton of value here, in ways I feel sure I wouldn't have been able to do at 20.

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Adan's post above says it best.  I'd like to see more types of folks here than "salty old dudes" personally, even though I might fall into that category myself :)    And anyone saying "suck it up buttercup, deal with it", well, they will...by not sticking around.   Which of course only increases the SOD ratio.  But no attempt to armchair moderate by me, everybody can do them and I can just avoid the SOD-heavy threads--as long as they, or those stupid parody things that seem to be the calling card of this forum unfortunately, aren't the only discussions in town.

• Like 1

There are simple reasons why there are not many women here. This is a forum mostly about equipment talk and women tend to not be so obsessed with equipment and gadgets as men. And then, forums are dying, young people are on social networks, so you should not expect many new people to register here, regardless of their sex.

24 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

There are simple reasons why there are not many women here. This is a forum mostly about equipment talk and women tend to not be so obsessed with equipment and gadgets as men. And then, forums are dying, young people are on social networks, so you should not expect many new people to register here, regardless of their sex.

These are your assumptions and likely based more on your own anecdotal experience, not any kind of fact. The tone of discussion goes a long way to deciding whether or not any prospective members decide to register, post, or stick around for any particular length of time. I'd rather we be open and inviting to different perspectives instead of claiming that they simply aren't interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

First of all, we are all at a disadvantage dealing with a text-only medium. If the initial post had been in a conversation, the other person might have reacted with a disapproving look, and the OP would have immediately clarified what he meant. But ultimately, these are the kinds of discussions that need to happen if we're going to move forward as a society, and jettison outmoded ways of thinking that don't benefit society.

Second, I see no reason why women and men can't want to look as good as possible, but ultimately, looks are irrelevant. I think Taylor Swift got the priorities right in an in interview from 2014 with CBS This Morning:

"My life doesn't gravitate towards being edgy, sexy, or cool," Swift explained in the interview. "I am just naturally not any of those things," she added. 

"What are you? In your head, what are you?" the interviewer asked from off-screen.

"I'm imaginative. I'm smart. And I'm hardworking," she answered. "Those things are not necessarily prioritized in pop culture," she added. 

• Like 5

I doubt that women will ever be judged the same way as men when they "strut their stuff" on stage. Seems to be a part of human nature that will never change. Bottom line is: It's all entertainment meant to put butts in seats and sell music. Male rock singers strut about the stage bare chested. Nobody cares. It's all part of the show. Some female performers present themselves in a similar manner but get judged and labelled. Stage persona should not be confused with who that person really is underneath the wardrobe & makeup. Alice Cooper is a prime example. Humans are a strange lot.

Fashions and fashionable behaviors change/fluctuate but … Man has not changed in 5,000 years. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

8 minutes ago, Anderton said:

First of all, we are all at a disadvantage dealing with a text-only medium. If the initial post had been in a conversation, the other person might have reacted with a disapproving look, and the OP would have immediately clarified what he meant. But ultimately, these are the kinds of discussions that need to happen if we're going to move forward as a society, and jettison outmoded ways of thinking that don't benefit society.

Second, I see no reason why women and men can't want to look as good as possible, but ultimately, looks are irrelevant. I think Taylor Swift got the priorities right in an in interview from 2014 with CBS This Morning:

"My life doesn't gravitate towards being edgy, sexy, or cool," Swift explained in the interview. "I am just naturally not any of those things," she added. 

"What are you? In your head, what are you?" the interviewer asked from off-screen.

"I'm imaginative. I'm smart. And I'm hardworking," she answered. "Those things are not necessarily prioritized in pop culture," she added. 

I actually think Taylor Swift has been (ironically) penalized by how hot she is, and her babydoll voice. She's a force to be reckoned with. She's writing some of our age's best lyrics, and continuing to write and play her own songs in a time of mediocrity-by-committee. And she continues to dive deeper and deeper sonically as an artist. Those two pandemic albums with The National are really gorgeous.

In a way she's everything people claim they want to see in pop music, but a lot of folks have a hard time getting past the very obvious superficial assets she also possesses.

Your board is more comfortable going OT than this one. Both approaches have their benefits. I think dB's ability to keep this forum focused only on keyboards and innocuous OTs is a strength of this community. We're a disparate group united in this single common interest. Whenever we stray, chaos ensues. 

I am rabidly anti-"cancel culture" in everyday life (and my social media feed). But I am a true proselyte for the particular bit of secret sauce that makes this particular board work, which is that we talk about keyboards and do the rest elsewhere. I say this even as I lob bombs of my own here from time to time. But as dB would attest, at the same time I'm doing that, I'm usually writing him saying "I probably ruined that thread and maybe you should zap my posts and any responses to them." 

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

Sorry, but I do not agree. There are not many women here not because forums are dying, but because music is dying. Older forumites remember when music was an important and unifying force in society. Now streaming services don't even say people "listen" to music, they say people "consume" music.

Apple is spending billions of dollars a year on video content, but not a dime to develop new music to show off the "immersive" music that is supposedly so important to them. Ditto Spotify, TIDAL, Napster, etc. With Amazon Prime, you still have to pay for some movies - but the music is free. Music has been devalued. Period.

If you want to see women in tech fields, go behind the scenes at Disney and to software companies. One of my best friends is a woman who works on Disney's sci-fi productions. Her division is predominantly women. I also deal with a lot of software companies where women are programmers. It seems that women are more attracted to those fields than music, and why not? The average woman (or man) is not going to get the 5,000,000 streams needed to make a living wage of around $22,000.

Guitar companies have been shocked to find out a lot of their new customers are women. If they'd been aware that Taylor Swift was a whole lot more important than someone like Slash to younger generations, maybe they would have seen the handwriting on the wall. And maybe that generation of women will end up coming to forums that provide useful information.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I had to address what I feel are incorrect assumptions about whether or not women are interested in technology. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Your board is more comfortable going OT than this one. Both approaches have their benefits. I think dB's ability to keep this forum focused only on keyboards and innocuous OTs is a strength of this community. We're a disparate group united in this single common interest. Whenever we stray, chaos ensues. 

100% agreed. Bear in mind, though, that I do moderate OT topics on SSS the way I see fit, and make no excuses for it.

I'd be happy to move this thread there if that's what people want. If fact I would highly recommend that people from KCS start OT topics there.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I said it but you keep on exaggerating it and twisting what I actually said. When you first misquoted me you actually used the word "rape" which couldn't have been farther from what I said and meant. What I said is that she has been consistently choosing outfits that are undeniably provocative (in a sexually explicit way). And since it's not an isolated case but is consistent and is a conscious choice she made, she then must certainly be aware of the effect this attire may cause to men since we're all driven by biology after all and some men can get aroused looking at women who are dressed this way and one should not expect from these men not to get aroused. Hence, she must be aware she's provoking this type of thoughts. And I stand behind these words and wonder what is wrong with them? And BTW, if you keep on quoting me (although you didn't mention my name), I have the right to respond and defend myself. And we go back to square one.

Reminds me of the story of the Businessman, in an Armani suit with a Rolex on his arm, and solid gold jewelry around his neck, headed for his Tesla in a parking garage. He gets robbed by a poor man who takes his wallet, keys, watch, jewelry and car, but is later caught by the police.  His defense attorney argued that the victim was "asking for it" dressed like that.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Nathan said:

Reminds me of the story of the Businessman, in an Armani suit with a Rolex on his arm, and solid gold jewelry around his neck, headed for his Tesla in a parking garage. He gets robbed by a poor man who takes his wallet, keys, watch, jewelry and car, but is later caught by the police.  His defense attorney argued that the victim was "asking for it" dressed like that.  😉

So, you compare a robbery to a thread where men discuss their dreams of having a famous and glamorous pianist as their girlfriend. No wonder the world is what it is now if people can’t make this simple distinction 🤦🏻‍♂️

33 minutes ago, Anderton said:

There are not many women here not because forums are dying, but because music is dying.

I get your point, but when I look at all the amazing youngsters on youtube, my impression is that music is better than ever, and talent has more avenues available to find its audience.

I understand people lament about the million dollar record budgets of yore, but maybe that was an anomaly, not the norm?

Miles Davis says as much in his autobiography. Jazz records were cut in one or maybe a few days and sold 50-60K copies. Then the rock thing happened and a whole industry evolved around it. Maybe now we are just back to the way things used to be.

• Like 7

I've never met any board member here in person. I can't fill in, in my head, the quirks and nuances that people use when they're speaking, using that as a guide as to how to "hear" the words that I read off my screen. Typing, as a mode of communication, has limitations. It's easy to misinterpret things people say because you can't hear the little things that add layers of meaning to the words.

I never use emojis. Ever. I've not found that they actually do much to clarify meaning. At best, they're redundant, kind of like a Greek chorus repeating what the poster just said. At worst, they lead the conversation even further astray. I'll take my chances with the written word and hope that my eloquence (or lack thereof) is sufficient unto the moment. If something I say gets taken the wrong way, I try to elaborate. It's a way to keep my writing skills moving along--as an author I need to be able to express myself in print, even in cases where there are no emojis.

That said, I see from posts in this thread where people have taken things I said in directions I did not mean or anticipate. The same posters seem to take things that others say in ways that I don't think match their intentions. That leads me to the conclusion that there are people who, wittingly or otherwise, 'put words into other peoples' mouths.' Now, I'll freely admit that I could be wrong. Maybe person A, posting a thought, was correctly interpreted by person B...and my understanding of A is incorrect. Could be. Yep, could be. But...the posters who (it seems to me) are the ones misinterpreting posts and putting words in other peoples' mouths seem to give off a consistently hostile vibe, and that makes me wonder...

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.