Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

small capsule for vocals?

What do you guys think about using a small capsule mic for vocals. It won't be particularly flattering to the vocalist, but more honest. It's a female with a thin voice. I think she could benefit from a large diaphragm and some low frequency boost.
Think Different.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing odd about that...they can work fine.

You just need to put some mics up and let her sing.

Then you can see which mic works for her.

Getting her close to the mic can boost the low end on some models...proximity effect...and help add some meat to her thin voice...

...you just have to be careful of P's/T's...and not to overload the mic.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I tell you, if you can find any MXL-1000 md condensers I think you'll be pleased. With the vocalist having a thin voice those MXL 1000s will work pretty well without becoming strident.

Other than that, Miroslav's suggestions have good merit. Be sure to use a pop filter to help cotrol the 'plosives, and it will help in not overpowering the mic by controlling distance though thin voices will seldom, IMO, overpower a mic. You may also, if you're moving the singer that close to the mic, need to go a bit off axis to help curtail sibilance.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Are you saying small diaphram = small capsule?

I've had good results with the AKG C2000 and it's a small (1/2") diaphram. I've got too much lows and low mids in my voice so I use it with the roll off switch, but without that engaged, the mic has a ton of lows.

The best mics I've used for female thin voices to thicken em up is the AKG 414B/ULS and the Blue Kiwi. I'm speaking of belters that have a thin quality to their voice which is a bit piercing at the 2K range.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Any more are certainly welcome. Oh yeah, maybe I should start a new topic for this, but does anyone know where I can get some really cheap mic stands and/or pop filters? It's amazing the cheapest ones I've found were at least $25. The kind I'm looking for is the tri-stand boom.
Think Different.

Originally posted by jmitch:

does anyone know where I can get some really cheap mic stands and/or pop filters? It's amazing the cheapest ones I've found were at least $25. The kind I'm looking for is the tri-stand boom.

Check with Carvin. Their stands used to be made by On Stage. I don't know if they still are but they're a decent stand for the price. Not the website, get on their catalog and specials mailing list.

Also, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, (essentially the same company now) Sam Ash & etc.

I think I payed around fifteen bucks for a one of the stands I've bought within the last couple of years & got a couple included with the mic during a Carvin special.

I alos paid around the same price for the cheap nylon pop screen I have. That was at a GC & I already had a goosneck so the one I boutght was on a flat stand clamp and I just changed it over.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Any more are certainly welcome. Oh yeah, maybe I should start a new topic for this, but does anyone know where I can get some really cheap mic stands and/or pop filters? It's amazing the cheapest ones I've found were at least $25. The kind I'm looking for is the tri-stand boom.

You can make your own pop filters for about $6. Go to the crafts section at Walmart and get 6" embroidery hoops. Use women's tights material accross the hoop (they come in different shades). Get a spring loaded mic holder from radio shack and an old wire clothes hanger. Here's a picture of the finished product.

Pop Filter

GY

Making your own pop filter can be a cost effective way to go... I'd be more apt to do that than buy a commercially built "nylon style" pop filter. BUT, IMO, I'd say the extra money spent on a Stedman pop filter (they're made out of louvered metal instead of nylon) is well worth it. Under $50, but they are far more effective and moer tonally transparent than any nylon pop stopper I've ever tried.

Small or large diaphrams can work fine on vocals... I normally prefer a good LD condenser, but be willing to try anything and everything until you find what works best. Dynamics, ribbons, condensers - whatever works and gives you the tone you're after with that particular source.

Daklander and GY, thanks for your tips. Phil, yeah I would like to go with a LD if I had access to one. Unfortunately, right now the only thing available to me is a small diaphragm. It is a condensor though, and it does sound pretty sweet and neutral if I were to put some words to it. I'll try to get the best out of it. A pop filter is a must I feel, for the obvious reasons. One huge reason being the fact that I want to protect the mic from any breath moisture and such.
Think Different.

You just stretch the nylon over the inner ring of the hoop, and the outer ring holds it in place. It's hard to see from his picture, but there's actually two rings on an embroidery hoop.

I have one that I put together years ago - very similar to what GY posted, except mine has a mic stand mount attached directly to it instead of the hanger attachment / clip.

Wow. I just saw the finished product from your image GY. That looks very nice! What did you use to secure the nylon to the hoop? Or better yet how did you secure it?

Embroidery hoops come in two pieces. Mesh over the smaller piece and fit it into the larger diameter piece and tighten as you go. Takes just minutes. Don't use "nylons". Use "tights" material. Dot know the brand. Just a little heavier than regular nylons. Does not effect response.

GY

Archived