Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stumbled on some computer parts

I was complaining to a friend about my "old" P3 computer with an old motherboard that won't allow for much in upgrades anymore, and low and behold he knew someone with some newer parts. So I met with this young dude and he has this P4 800mhz compatible motherboard with all the options I need, and a Radeon 9600 128mg video card. He sold it all to me for 79 bucks and threw in a full size ATX case. That's an incredible deal. I can transfer my removable and fixed drives over from my old unit and also my sound card, eithernet card etc. However, I won't be doing that for a while because I still have to obtain a Pentium 4 cpu and a couple 184 pin memory chips, but when I get those, it'll be a screamin machine when compared to my old goat. I figure the cpu at about $100-150, the memory chips about $150 for a total of $379 into the unit. Not too bad and I'll have a couple gigs of memory vs the 512mg limit on my old motherboard. Cool.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stumbled on some computer parts
Well, pick 'em up off th' floor! :rolleyes::P

Cool deal on the 800 MHz system. I've got a 2.5 GHz, but my parent's old 475MHz IBM Aptiva still works just fine, and it's pretty quick. Could be that 256MB of SDRAM I added. (it already had 128MB) :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Well the CPU that I'll put in will most probably be a 3.2ghz, 478 800mhz CPU. I think it will hold it's own for now anyway. By this time next year it will be severely outdated no doubt.

You see, the 3.2ghz is the (max)speed of the cpu. The 800mhz is the speed at which the cpu and the chipset can communicate. I don't have a clue what the 478 represents.

bbach

Originally posted by daklander:

Never mind, I didn't read the thread right.

That's a nice deal.

Check with me on the RAM. Fry's always has it at a great price.

will do, as soon as I get some money put together.

bbach

Archived