Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Boss Calls 2023 nominees exciting and fun

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame CEO Greg Harris said the nomination list for the class of 2023 was “exciting” and “fun,” and looked forward to the chance of putting an Iron Maiden inflatable on display in the museum.

Sheryl Crow, Missy Elliott, Joy Division/New Order, Cyndi Lauper, George Michael, Willie Nelson, the White Stripes and Warren Zevon were named as nominees for the first time this year, while Maiden, Kate Bush, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, the Spinners and A Tribe Called Quest had previously been shortlisted but not inducted.

"We have a Pink Floyd wall with the inflatable, so heck yeah – we can put one of those babies in here,” Harris said on a new episode of Audacy when asked about a Maiden display. “It would be exciting. It’s fun to think that … you know, we talked about Warren Zevon, [a] piano playing, songwriting guy, and then the triple guitar assault of Iron Maiden in the same class. It’s really exciting and really fun now. ... Maiden was nominated once before, but we’re hopeful that after the success that Judas Priest had last year that Maiden is inducted as well. … We’re thrilled that they're on the ballot.”

He said 2023 was “a fantastic year. ... This class of 14 … is huge. Eight of them, it’s their first time ever nominated and a few of them are back for a second, third or fourth, maybe even a fifth, nomination. … It’s just a great group. It underscores the diversity of what we think of as rock ’n’ roll -- and really it’s not just one sound, it’s many sounds – it’s an attitude and a spirit.”

Harris singled out Zevon for comment, saying, “He left us an amazing body of work, and was admired by all of his peers. So many folks wanted to play on his records, be part of his songs, and record his songs ... there’s sometimes a surprise that he's not already in.” He also pointed out that Bush had previously been nominated in 2018, before her Stranger Things resurgence. “So the nominating committee recognized her artistry and her impact, and now the whole world is hearing about it. ... Hopefully this puts her over the top.”

He noted the number of artists on the list who produced their material, noting that Crow “knows what sound she wants to get and then she finds a way to get it. George Michael, I believe, was his own producer for [much] of his stuff. Of course, Jack White always controls his voice and does it well. I could go down the list ... Kate Bush is the same way.”

I already voted online to have Cyndi Lauper, Kate Bush, Sheryl Crow, Iron Maiden and Rage Against The Machine inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If you would like to vote for who you want in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, good news: they are now accepting induction choices through online voting.

You can vote for your Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominations here:

https://vote.rockhall.com/en/

You can select up to 5 Nominees daily and submit your vote. Share your ballot, spread the word and rock the vote now until April 28th!

I would vote for Cyndi Lauper, Willie Nelson (saw them both live, different shows, both fantastic), Kate Bush and Warren Zevon. 

Warren Z is one of rock's best songwriters in my opinion, besides Werewolves of London there is Excitable Boy which made it onto the radio somehow (the lyrics are insane and completely inappropriate). Plus, Linda Ronstadt had hits with Poor Poor Pitiful Me and Carmelita, both written by Mr. Zevon and great songs as well. 

This is to say nothing of Lawyers, Guns and Money or Play It All Night Long - both masterworks of a brilliantly depraved sense of humor. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

If they just called it "The Musicians Hall of Fame" instead of "Rock & Roll," people would harumph less. Calling Willie Nelson "rock & roll' is like naming your cat 'Dog'.

• Like 2

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Would calling it the "Popular Music Hall of Fame" be too redundant? :D 

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I can't take the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame seriously when they still snub Link Wray.

Among many other reasons.

• Like 3

On 2/5/2023 at 1:24 PM, KenElevenShadows said:

I can't take the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame seriously when they still snub Link Wray.

Among many other reasons.

Well, at least he was nominated in 2013 and 2017. That's a start. I met him in the 70s when I was doing studio work. He wasn't exactly approachable, but wasn't unfriendly, either. He sure had a tough time growing up. Yeah, he should be in the HOF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

Well, at least he was nominated in 2013 and 2017. That's a start. I met him in the 70s when I was doing studio work. He wasn't exactly approachable, but wasn't unfriendly, either. He sure had a tough time growing up. Yeah, he should be in the HOF.

They can't put Richard Thompson in until they put Link Wray in so this this isn't over.