Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Google MusicLM - generate music from text description

ElmerJFudd

Message to all composers writing library music, and background music - coffin, meet nail! I can easily see some of the more commercial examples getting streams. And that "new age" track? Fuggetabout it, new-age music composers - your services are no longer needed. This is one time I'm glad I'm old!

[edit - just listened a little more - there might be some hope for jazzers, this AI engine doesn't do that so well, imo!]

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Message to all composers writing library music, and background music - coffin, meet nail! I can easily see some of the more commercial examples getting streams. And that "new age" track? Fuggetabout it, new-age music composers - your services are no longer needed. This is one time I'm glad I'm old!

[edit - just listened a little more - there might be some hope for jazzers, this AI engine doesn't do that so well, imo!]

The story that is told in the lyrics is often the reason a song gets noticed. 

Google's contraption may learn to cobble up stories from the infinite morass on the inter webs but teaching it to be "clever" may be a ways off yet. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

10 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Meditation music, and video arcade music - spot on.  Yes, the little jazz clip is weak.  It needs more input and reference to do something like this somewhat convincingly.  They should make an offer for Band in a Box’s IP. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

This is cool. Some of the music it's emulating is written to lazy formula anyway. Might as well feed it to the robot sharks as chum. This won't end our careers any more than paint-by-numbers ended art; there have already been AI pop stars in Japan for years now. But I would love to hear some of what it comes up with when the database grows. I'm a huge fan of aleatory music, and in some cases the "weirder and worse," the better.

My biggest worry, in fact, is that we make it too good and it doesn't "mess it up" in ways that result in cool ideas we might not have come up with on our own.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Two things to keep in mind, I think - first, AI composing is really in its infancy. What we're listening to is v1.0 stuff, maybe even pre-1.0 beta stuff. It's going to get more complex and more able to approximate polished compositions. Second, keep in mind the saying often attributed to H.L. Mencken about nobody going broke underestimating intelligence, etc. In the areas of commercial music, I believe the general public will have no issues buying and consuming AI-generated music. Does the company Muzak still exist? I would be selling its stock right now.

What might be cool is if this software could generate midi along with audio, so composers could use it as a starting point or an "idea generator" for their work. Sadly, most of these tools wind up being a substitute for talent & creativity, not an aid to them.

Can't let this go without referencing one of the craziest AI-generated music examples I've ever heard, one that's actually a few years old. This is most definitely not for everyone but if you're at all familiar with the very late Coltrane of "Interstellar Space", you might find this interesting (if not exactly "enjoyable", lol):

https://www.openculture.com/2019/07/what-happens-when-artificial-intelligence-listens-to-john-coltranes-interstellar-space.html

• Like 1

It's actually been around for decades and I would characterize this as coming into its maturity. David Cope at USSC developed a program called "Emmy" in the 90s that could compose in the manner of anyone whose works were fed into it. There are concerts even today of Emmy generated Mozart, Emmy generated Beethoven, and so on.

George Lewis created an improvising AI that would function as an equal player in an ensemble, or even a solo or duo. 

Lots of composers use AI for parts of compositions or even the entire structure and much of the content. There have already been AI-created pop songs. 

The "new" thing here is the ability to interpret prose ideas through music. That's a crazy wrinkle, and is the crux of this tech. The underlying process of selectively compiling elements to make songs or compositions that sound a certain way has been in the mix for decades.

That's why I say, we don't have to "worry" about this, existentially. There's room at the table for all of us, live and otherwise. 

And yeah, that Coltrane one....interesting. :)

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Going to go listen to the Coltrane one here in a minute, but wanted to give my personal opinions on the long generated ones first (the short ones were okay some not to my particular liking but would be usable as quick backing pieces on a video).

Melodic Techno . . . I rather enjoyed that one!  I have to admit in my later years I have gotten lazy.  I purchased "Magix Music Maker" in late 2020 and have written a few pieces entirely out of loops.  This track reminded me of some of that.

Swing . . . um, maybe it is just me since that is not my personal preference for genre except that I did write a swing piece in 1996 just for fun and you can actually dance to it.  This particular track was like . . . lets say . . . a group of ten year olds got instruments for Christmas and are up in one of their rooms trying to play them together.  'Nuff said.

Relaxing Jazz . . . could I see myself in a nice restaurant with a band playing this particular piece?  Maybe if I was sitting far enough away and the volume was low enough.  It has potential but reminds me of the music you hear when you call customer service and are put on hold forever.

Okay.  "OUTERHELIOS" . . . maybe I am not up on "free jazz" but to me this sounds more like a "free fall".  I envision the drummer and sax player rolling down a hill with ledges with their instruments pausing only for a moment and then continuing on.  I could only handle two minutes of this.

This is fascinating.

I'm curious though, why is the produced audio limited to 24 kHz?

Is this to prevent the music from being used commercially, sparing the music industry from potential financial ruin?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

20 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Okay.  "OUTERHELIOS" . . . maybe I am not up on "free jazz" but to me this sounds more like a "free fall".  I envision the drummer and sax player rolling down a hill with ledges with their instruments pausing only for a moment and then continuing on.  I could only handle two minutes of this.

Yes this is not your dentist-office jazz! As I mentioned, "not for everyone"... which is probably an understatement! However, the particular recording this AI-generated music is trained on is well-known in free jazz circles and regarded very highly by those into this kind of jazz. Coltrane was quite an enigmatic figure whose style of music changed drasticaly during his relatively short career. He is regarded as one of the towering fiigures of music in the 20th century. His late period, after his famous quartet, is most definitely his least commercial and the recordings quite obviously weren't platinum sellers!

What the Outerhelios folks did in capturing the overall sound of Trane's sax and Rashied Ali's drums – and reducing them to code! – is what I found impressive. The actual music of course doesn't stand up to the real thing. The Outerhelios track has Trane sounding at his most "random" with mostly very high register shrieks, while the real deal has much more melodic sax work. If you could only take 2 minutes of Outerhelios, you could make it to three minutes of actual Interstellar Space 🙂 :

(Go to around 22:20 for the "ballad") 🙂 

PS - the Outerhelios folks also have a "Death Metal" AI- generated stream. Unlike the Coltrane, which is a 10-hour long archived recording, this death metal stream is live and ongoing: https://youtu.be/MwtVkPKx3RA. Good luck making it to one minute! 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

PS - the Outerhelios folks also have a "Death Metal" AI- generated stream. Unlike the Coltrane, which is a 10-hour long archived recording, this death metal stream is live and ongoing: https://youtu.be/MwtVkPKx3RA. Good luck making it to one minute! 🙂 

Yes . . . that Doppelganger is relentless.  I am sure if I were to have termites, they would have packed their little bags and left for parts unknown by now.

“Using ChatGPT as a Creative Writing Partner — Part 2: Music

How the latest language model from OpenAI can help you compose chords for new songs, with music by Band-in-a-Box”

https://towardsdatascience.com/using-chatgpt-as-a-creative-writing-partner-part-2-music-d2fd7501c268

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I couldn't find the OuterHelios clip?

About 1/2 way down the page I found the Painting Caption Conditioning, and excitedly clicked on the "The Scream" clip.  Man, that sounded like a bunch of mistakes that fell out a window and were cobbled back together, badly.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

22 minutes ago, TommyRude said:

Now, after listening, I'd like to summon a fighter jet and shoot them both down over the Atlantic.

As I mentioned, I was impressed by the tech, not so much by the resulting music. It did get close to the sound of Coltrane's sax and Rashied Ali's drums. If not for the kinda disorganised sax I might mistake it for outtakes of Interstellar Space. Again, even the real thing is to very few peoples' taste, I get that. That death metal stream would be great for evicting a tenant or clearing out a club once your set is over!

• Haha 2