Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Genuine appreciation and joy: Jimmy Page watching Heart …

Hey all,

Craig’s post about Jimmy Page’s recording technique reminded me of this performance on YouTube from The Kennedy Center:

Heart performs Stairway to Heaven

It’s a great performance but my favorite part is watching Jimmy Page’s genuine joy and appreciation. John Paul Jones is enjoying it as well (like a proper English gentleman, just nodding along). I’m sure Robert Plant appreciated it, but his body language is harder to read.

Seeing Jimmy Page’s reaction is just great … He’s clearly enjoying every minute of it.

Todd

• Like 2

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

And the Wilsons did a nice job, too. I also liked the over-the-top arrangement. Too bad the mix wasn't stellar, but it was live.

I especially liked Jimmy's delight when the guitarist played the solo.

I am always happy when great artists truly enjoy other great artists.

Years ago I read an interview with Brian May and in that interview, he talked about other guitar players. He not only praised his competition, so to speak, but illustrated specific things he liked about their playing.

I've played with excellent players who tried to elevate their own playing by dissing others, and others who elevate not only their playing but their personality by applauding others.

Thanks for posting.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Just watched it. 

Whatcha gonna do? Heart nailed it big time. 

Ann Wilson has always been one of rock's best singers, the arraignment was tight and the chorus made the song sound HUGE. 

I saw Heart many years ago, never got to see Led Zeppelin. 

A the time, Roger Fisher had left the band and they hadn't re-grouped - maybe they were hoping Howard Leese could step up to the plate on guitar. He couldn't.

That said, Ann sang amazingly and Nancy's harmonies were flawless as well. It was a good show. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I think it's fair to say that Heart bringing Jimmy Page to tears during their reading of Stairway To Heaven is one of the most memorable performances ever.

Heart began their careers as a Led Zeppelin tribute band, in case you didn't know...

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:38 PM, Sundown said:

Hey all,

Craig’s post about Jimmy Page’s recording technique reminded me of this performance on YouTube from The Kennedy Center:

Heart performs Stairway to Heaven

It’s a great performance but my favorite part is watching Jimmy Page’s genuine joy and appreciation. John Paul Jones is enjoying it as well (like a proper English gentleman, just nodding along). I’m sure Robert Plant appreciated it, but his body language is harder to read.

Seeing Jimmy Page’s reaction is just great … He’s clearly enjoying every minute of it.

Todd

Have a look at that again. It's like you describe. But have a look at Plant. He appears to be misty-eyed the whole time, starts drying his left eye near the end, and looks emotional by the end of the song. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 10:00 PM, IMMusicRulz said:

Heart began their careers as a Led Zeppelin tribute band, in case you didn't know...

I did not know that … Interesting. It makes their pick as a tribute all the more appropriate.

Todd

• Like 1

Sundown

I think Ann Wilson will be looked back at decades from now as one of the most powerful front women (or front persons) in our time. I love when a band is hungry and ambitious, and this live clip of “Barracuda” is just incredible. Her voice could cut through a lead wall or an ocean of water. 

YouTube - Heart - Barracuda Live

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Sundown

47 minutes ago, Sundown said:

I think Ann Wilson will be looked back at decades from now as one of the most powerful front women (or front persons) in our time. I love when a band is hungry and ambitious, and this live clip of “Barracuda” is just incredible. Her voice could cut through a lead wall or an ocean of water. 

YouTube - Heart - Barracuda Live

I have max respect for the entire band, especially the two Wilson sisters for persevering in a climate that wasn't always supportive towards women. Not to mention their immense talent. I mean, that woman has some serious pipes.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Good music has no gender, race, or ethnicity.

Notes ♫

I only wish that were true.

6 hours ago, Anderton said:

I hardly ever do covers, but when I do, it's out of a profound respect for whoever did the original. I'm sure that's what LZ felt coming from Heart.

I do a lot of covers.

I'd estimate that 3/4 of our tunes that I've sequenced, the backing tracks as close to the original in spirit as I am able. The arrangements are often lengthened or customized to our desires. Sometimes I play something close to an iconic solo, most other times I just improvise the solo.

The other 1/4 are rearrangements. Done in an entirely different style, perhaps turning a rock song into reggae, or swing, or whatever. These are definitely not close to the original, and have our own stamp on them. One or two original parody songs.

I learned long ago, when playing for the general public, if you want to stay working, you need to play memories. That's why when a group or star does a new album tour, 3/4 of the tunes are their old catalog and later in the concert they will play a couple of tunes from the new.

Even Billy Joel knows, "Son can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes, it's sand and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes." (or something like that).

In the late 1970s or early 1980s, I was in a jazz band. The leader taught jazz at the University of Miami. Big jazz stars like Ira Sullivan, Red Rodney and Duffy Jackson would come and sit in. It was 'art' music, challenging and fun to play.

The problem was it was one day a week, and I needed a day job to pay the mortgage. I thought, what is the bigger sell out? Playing Mustang Sally or working as a wage slave to some faceless corporation? I decided the day job was the bigger sell out. I have more fun playing cover tunes than I did as a cable TV field engineer.

And you know what? I enjoy playing cover tunes. When I'm playing, I'm in that place where there is no space or time or myself, just the music flowing through me and the energy returning from the audience.

Of course, there is more than one right way to do anything. My brother-in-law is a fine trumpet player. He plays jazz, but works as a substitute teacher in the daytime. He's quite happy doing that. I wouldn't be.

Today we played 3 hours in the afternoon, on the public beach, and right next to the city's biggest beach public park. We drew passers-by, filled the patio, had applause every 4 to 5 minutes, was told by management that we are awesome, packed up, went home and had a nice dinner. And we made some money too.

We played some boomer rock, reggae, country, 80-90s pop, Latin American, folk rock, calypso, punk, a couple of jazz standards, and whatever the audience was reacting to. We play music, but we play the audience too. That in itself is a lot of  gun.

Life is good today.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Love 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<