Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone hear of Atermiter motherboards

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty old setup. - from 2014.  Here's the Intel page on the processor.  As is typical for the Xeon chips, its clocked very slow.   Max speed 3.1Ghz, standard 2.3Ghz.   My 2008 Mac Pro tower ran that slow.  Xeons can't be overclocked.    The desktop performance chips were easily over-clockable over 4Ghz at that time - a very significant difference for audio.  They now go over 5Ghz.  This is great for lowering latency and keeping plugin performance high. 

Given your slow video render times, you want a current generation chip, or last generation that has built in H.264 encoding and decoding.  This will help your video.  These older processors and setups are priced this low for a reason.  They are not particularly useful in a modern context.  Someone else ran them out of their useful life and is selling them for "pennies".  But it doesn't mean its worth much.

If you want a solid used setup, look for an Intel i9-9900k setup with a motherboard and 32GB of RAM.  I'm sure someone is selling that every day on Ebay.  I've got an i9-9900K with 64GB of RAM that with an nVidia 3070 chows through 4k video.  This system has been overclocked for years at 4.8Ghz.  It started as main DAW rig, and now is the video edit box, running Win11.  Of course, any of the successors: 10900, 11900 etc are also good choices for media work.  The nVidia 3000 series GPUs will all drop in price as the 4000 series becomes more adopted.  A 3060 and a newer processor would radically accelerate your video work.

For the last several years, Intel has been targeting their High-End DeskTop (HEDT) family of chips for media creators, and they excel in the role.  High single core performance and excellent multi-core performance.