Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FP-E50

Looks like a cross between the RD88 and some of the FP series pianos.  I like the big screen and chassis looks similar to the RD88. Looks pretty good for what you get, access to the zen sounds, pitch bend/ mod wheel, speakers, vocal effects, 88 weighted action. Not a fan of that PHA-4 Standard keybed tho. Good bit heavier as well at 17.1kgs. 

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/fp-e50/

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

6 hours ago, Dockeys said:

Looks like a cross between the RD88 and some of the FP series pianos.  I like the big screen and chassis looks similar to the RD88. Looks pretty good for what you get, access to the zen sounds, pitch bend/ mod wheel, speakers, vocal effects, 88 weighted action. Not a fan of that PHA-4 Standard keybed tho. Good bit heavier as well at 17.1kgs. 

Is it just me or are others unable to get audio out of the link? I checked other sources (YouTube) and got sound from them. Not seriously looking to purchase but curious to see how it sounds.

GAS Attack!!!

7 hours ago, Dockeys said:

Thanks for the update and link.  I just watched Roland's video on this new board... Ooh, I think I can see one in my future.

I'd say it's the cross you mentioned -- plus many features from an arranger keyboard.  The vocal or "microphone effects" are interesting for sure... (That was not on my radar, but who knows...)  But I do like the option for chord progressions, from the library or sequenced by the user.  I will have to check out some more videos.

It's $999 at Sweetwater too -- plus an extra year's warranty and candy too.

Old No7

Edit to add:

No issues with the audio when I clicked Roland's link...

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

41 minutes ago, Old No7 said:

GAS Attack!!!

Thanks for the update and link.  I just watched Roland's video on this new board... Ooh, I think I can see one in my future.

I'd say it's the cross you mentioned -- plus many features from an arranger keyboard.  The vocal or "microphone effects" are interesting for sure... (That was not on my radar, but who knows...)  But I do like the option for chord progressions, from the library or sequenced by the user.  I will have to check out some more videos.

It's $999 at Sweetwater too -- plus an extra year's warranty and candy too.

Old No7

Edit to add:

No issues with the audio when I clicked Roland's link...

That's odd - I just tried it on a different computer and still no audio. Could it be an omen? :)

A missed opportunity to put a better action and 5-pin midi i/o. Even something like an RD88 with a better keybed and better pianos would make a great controller/piano board. But yeah, that PHA4-Standard action is not great - just played a few models with that keybed last week. Such a downgrade over the PHA4-Concert that was in the RD800, which I actually really liked. Why don't they put that keybed and the RD800 pianos in a package like this, if it's going to be almost 40 lbs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Strange. 

The RD-88 is more expensive, so what's the difference apart from 5-pin MIDI out?

Edith: found some other peculiarities. RD-88 has over 3000 tones, while this new one almost 1000. 

RD-88 has tweeters, the newborn hasn't.

• Like 3

Surprising features:

- USB audio interface built-in!  

- 37 pounds compared to 48 for the DGX 670

- Harmonizer on vocals

- PB/MW assignable: can be standard or assigned

- Decent arranger functionality that ‘follows’ your playing

- Big bang for buck at the $1,000 US price point

Really like:

- MW/PB above keybed /// volume slider for accompaniment and microphone /// 11w x 2 amp power for 4.7” speakers /// Good sized display, looks user friendly /// has 1/4” outs, not just a shared headphone out like the DGX 670 /// 

If only….

-  MIDI din /// better quality keybed /// 4 sliders were assignable /// Can play only 2 Upper and 1 Lower voice?, want at least 4 freely assignable voices /// more stage piano front panel controls like the RD2000

I wonder…

- how good the sounds are

- if Roland is now in the business of selling ‘free’ razors so you buy their Zen core Cloud sounds 

- how decent the keybed is- they slap the PHA-4 keybed on a lot of boards, apparently some are much better than others?  At this price point…

- if this is a new line, hopefully they’ll eventually have another model that has more of the wish list on it.

• Like 3

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Finally have had the chance to study this one, a bit.  And I suspect it will stir up a lot of interest among one-person-act keyboardist-vocalist types. Lots of very thoughful features here, and I especially like the Interactive Accompaniment mode. Slick. It clearly raises the bar with regard to the Yamaha DGX keyboards, among others. 

Agreed, it does have some of the features of the RD-88; and my gosh, an FP instrument finally exists with pitch/mod controls :laugh:.  But there are clear differences, as others have pointed out. Its MIDI controller capabilities are highly limited, think along the lines of a Casio PX-S3100, or Yamaha DGX keyboard. But it really is designed to be a self-contained unit, and at that appears to excel. The new trio I've been working with does need some basic rhythm backing (on roughly half of its cover material), but this one would be overkill for that project. Meanwhile my RD-88 will fit that need just fine. And its additional layer and greater source of tones, plus controller options are things I would miss by horse trading the RD for this FP. So hopefully Roland keeps the RD-88 in their line-up. Bet they'll sell a bunch of FP-E50s though.

• Like 3

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I find real favor with this and the RD, despite a few subjective variables. I could dismiss most of the issues I might have because of the engaging engine, but holy bleep, does that keybed suck. I always sigh to see that same honker on new instruments. Those keys have never had any bounce-back, crucial for repetitive gestures. They're so sluggish, they don't seem good for much beyond backing up ballads or gauzy ambient, at least to me.

I've generally found Steinways to be powerful but all too stiff overall. I liked Yamahas for rock purposes, as the keys snap right back nicely. However, oddly, my old Baldwin baby grand sat right between those two, at least as I recall. I could play lightly for the nice Debussy stuff and it would ring out well, but if I wanted to sweat more, the damned thing would roar like a champ. Beautiful instrument.

My hands got creaky and left the piano realm a while back, so I now utilize 3 XKeys. Therefore, take my piano opinions with a grain of salt the size of a Kia. :cheers:   

• Like 2

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I'm considering one - pretty much ONLY for the adaptive drums/style function....will make live solo keys playing so much more interesting!

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

2 hours ago, miden said:

I'm considering one - pretty much ONLY for the adaptive drums/style function....will make live solo keys playing so much more interesting!

Agreed, that's why I'm considering one.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Not that I’m in the market for the FP-350 but doesn’t it have the same PHA-4 keyboard as the RD88?. Going to the PHA-50 would increase the weight by 10lbs.

While not perfect, the weight reduction might be worth it based on your use case. I purchased and returned a Fantom 08 with the PHA-4. If I was playing gigs, it would have been perfect. I bought a Hydrasynth Deluxe instead and digging the poly aftertouch.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just received mine yesterday.   I felt like I was taking a chance because I hadn't actually played it but visited several retailers to play the RD88, 60x and 90x (and other brands) to get a sense of the keybed.  For reference, I am replacing my Juno DS88 which i used >90% of the time for the piano sounds.   

Initial impressions:

• Love the PHA-4 keybed.  If you've played the RD88, this will seem very similar.   
  • The piano sounds are fantastic, and the Zencore stuff is really good.
  • The built-in speakers are inadequate to show off the quality of sounds.  I've been accustomed to using some large-ish powered speakers, so maybe I'm spoiled.  I recommend adding that into your purchase.
  • Navigating menus and sounds seems very last century, or at least last decade.  It's not a huge deal because my needs are simple, but it's head scratching because UI/UX design has come so far in the last decade.  I keep thinking someone will figure out how to integrate and iPad into a workflow smoothly.  Pet peeve, sorry. 
  • I have not experimented with the accompaniment stuff.  I'm new to this forum so will circle back if more to report.  

Bottom line, love it.  Incredible value at this price point.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

IS THE ROLAND FP-E50 INCAPABLE OF THIS BASIC MIDI FUNCTION? REALLY?

Although the pre-sales personnel at Roland assured me that the Roland FP-E50 would be able to be played as an external MIDI instrument via the provided USB port, I have not been able to make this happen. I checked with them specifically since I understood that this keyboard cannot play SMF files.  Being able to play the keyboard from a modified MIDI file on my Logic DAW is an essential function for my music production. My Roland FP7 does this without any fuss at all: lays down a MIDI track from the instrument keyboard and then plays it back through the keyboard via MIDI. I have been unable to make the FP-E50 do this at all regardless of setting I choose. It will lay down the MIDI track as expected, but will not play the resulting track through the instrument keyboard via MIDI. I have been in touch with Roland to try and see if there is a solution here.  If the piano simply can't accept MIDI IN through the USB port, one would expect Roland support to know this. They have not said the keyboard lacks this capability, but I'm becoming less optimistic and my attempts repeatedly fail.  Does anyone have an idea if there is a fix for this?

Reading the Logic Handbook, it says that Logic is able to play any instrument that is detected as having successful MIDI in-and-out connections in the MIDI test section of Apple's Audio Studio utility. Since both the FP7 and FP-E50 do this without issue, perhaps this is not the case. 

I will post more information when definitive answers become available.

Here is a file showing a comparison of the two keyboards as they appear in Logic as I attempt to carry out this operation. https://navraton.online/roland_midi_fail/Roland_Fail.html

On 1/26/2023 at 3:10 PM, allan_evett said:

I suspect it will stir up a lot of interest among one-person-act keyboardist-vocalist types...

I'll admit that I "was a bit interested" in the FP-E50 at first to get the auto-accompaniment features, but I've decided to stay with my RD-88.

FYI, I found these comments on another forum and will share them here, wIth a few key comments underlined.

Old No7

Roland FPe50 Vs Rd88

After playing the Roland fpe50 against the Rd 88 at the comfort of my home, I can happily say I will be returning it.

In a nut shell, this keyboard is not a substitute for the RD 88 nor a competitor to Yamaha Ck88.

Although the Roland Fpe50 showcases the supernatural engine, internal Zen Core sounds and wave expandability (paid). The user is stuck with the factory presets, only the reverb and supernatural piano parameters are adjustable. That’s it, absolutely zero editability. If you are like me, I love customising the attack, release, decay, portamento, cutoff, effects, apply chorus, customise the phaser depths, auto pan, add some delay and save into user memory. But on this keyboard, Nada. All these parameters are present but hidden, there is no app, computer program or anything that will give the user any form of access to sound editing like in the old days of sound canvas, JV2080 or like RD 88 or Yamaha CK.

Furthermore, only two sounds can be used either by layering or split.

In my opinion this keyboard is not catered to the professional musician. The arranger feature is in fact quite mediocre, I can’t imagine a half decent musician gigging with it. Perhaps, some might want to just use the drums, but here is the thing, let’s suppose you really dig the R&B drum pattern but want to swap the drum kit…no can do folks. Also shall I mention the auto fill on every 8 or 16 measures? The facing down speaker is quite a disappointment (dull sounding) when there is plenty of space above, also no tweeters. The RD 88 has tweeters and sounds like in your face.

On a good note, this is a great keyboard for the amateur home enthusiastic. It stands on its own league. Great action, pretty much a family keeper with the option to plug a mic in and sing away. Also a great upgrade from a Yamaha p125, Roland Fp30 etc the FPe50 is really fun for home leisure. Another cool thing is that you use the mod wheel as a fader to control the balance for the layers.

Conclusion, it is exactly what Roland says it is, a Digital entertainment piano.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 1:17 AM, anthony1328 said:

I have been unable to make the FP-E50 do this at all regardless of setting I choose. It will lay down the MIDI track as expected, but will not play the resulting track through the instrument keyboard via MIDI.

Just took a very quick look at the manual. On page 10 it says:

USB Computer port

Connect to your computer
via USB cable.
This lets you transmit/
receive MIDI data and
record the audio that’s playing on your computer.

On page 66 it says:

LOCAL CONTROL

When a MIDI sequencer is connected, set this parameter to Local Off.
Since most sequencers have their “thru” function turned on, notes you play on the keyboard may be sounded in duplicate, or get dropped. To prevent this, you can enable the “Local Off ” setting to disconnect the keyboard from the internal sound generator.

Telling you to turn local off when recording to a sequencer to prevent duplicate notes indicates that the keyboard can play notes received over midi.

Could Roland engineers have simply forgotten to implement midi receive, yet this text shows up in the manual? It's possible! On my A800 controller there's a "panic" function mentioned in the manual (shuts off stuck notes) that doesn't exist!

What is up these days with no 5 pin midi? I don't get it...all the cheap CASIOS had MIDI 10 to 15 years ago....

I have an FP10.... I think a lot of people missed the boat on that one. I think the piano sounds very good if you adjust touch sensitivity.

The FP 10 has PHA4 so I know it....yes it is a little tough but no more so than a Yamaha P140 I still have... I prefer PHA4 to that. I practice mainly chord arrangements on the FP 10... not chops excercise or any of that. I am assuming this new Roland has a Supernatural variation.

I am a big Roland fan...still using a RD300GX by the way.... a classic. When you compare the 300GX to just about anything else from around 2010 or so you can see why sometimes Roland might be ahead of the curve. They are for me in the lightweight department with the FP 10.

Does it not have USB Midi then?

There is an opinion in some companies that USB Midi is sufficient and therefore costs can be saved via not including the 5 pin din connectors. Clearly those who don't own any gear themselves. 

It's like Apple and their decision to remove the iPad audio connector. Whoever would want sound and charging option at the same time?

The bean counters are holding engineers hostage in too many places. 

1 minute ago, Ibarch said:

There is an opinion in some companies that USB Midi is sufficient and therefore costs can be saved via not including the 5 pin din connectors. Clearly those who don't own any gear themselves. 

It's like Apple and their decision to remove the iPad audio connector. Whoever would want sound and charging option at the same time?

Exactly: "They can use USB for MIDI" (not if they want to connect two devices) "They can use bluetooth" (not for low-latency monitoring). Key use cases are being excluded to save money. 

Cheers, Mike.

Almost invariably--and almost by definition--the boards without 5-pin connectors are not aimed at pro/semi-pro/gigging musicians. The target market for these boards don't care.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

6 hours ago, Ibarch said:

The Roland RD-88 is an enigma. Why have 1 din for midi out but skip the midi in? It makes even less sense than removing both dins. 

Nah, would never use that din midi in. Midi out makes sense of course, given the number of classic outboard modules that only have din. 
For midi in, usb suffices.