Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha StagePas 200, coaxial design mini PA

ElmerJFudd

spacer.png

Two models with and without Battery, Blue Tooth, Pole Mount or built in Stand.  

180 W (HF: 30 W + LF: 150 W) Class-D amplifier

1.4” HF + 8” LF high-quality coaxial compression driver

5-channel digital mixer (3 monaural mic/line + 1 stereo line)

Main output multi-band compressor “MODE”

1-knob EQ/preset for each channel

High-grade SPX digital reverb (4 program, parameter control), delay, chorus

Hi-Z input

Equipped with link-out/monitor out

Supplied rubber stand allows inclining at 30 or 60 degrees

Compatible with audio streaming via Bluetooth

Can be controlled remotely via an iOS or Android device using the dedicated STAGEPAS Controller app

Optional BTR-STP200 battery included

Optional CASE-STP200 carry case for convenient carrying

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Interesting; thinking small gigs and practices.  180 Watts from a Class D amp isn't particularly loud but for practices and strictly monitoring it might work well.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

21 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Interesting; thinking small gigs and practices.  180 Watts from a Class D amp isn't particularly loud but for practices and strictly monitoring it might work well.

Yeah that's probably all it's going to be good for. Yamaha could have made this more versatile with a larger co-axial driver and more power, and the cab could have still been very light and compact. I have a pair of B&C co-axial 12" cabs that are still very small and light - and quite powerful. 

I don't take much stock in the 1000+W claims of several powered speaker manufacturers. I have a "1000W" QSC CP8 that is nowhere near as loud as a 25W Mesa Boogie guitar amp or my late 200W Behringer 208D. Power figures do not equal loudness, creative math for marketing is what it is.

I like this design, good fit for my monitoring needs. Loud enough? Will need to test drive.

edit:

No XLR line out, bummer.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

For the battery unit, I'm thinking the target is busking and outdoor locations where you can't run power to.  Better than internal speakers on a keyboard because you can point it where it needs to be heard.  For self monitoring in a band situation with a FOH if poled and directed at yourself (if you don't like in ears and space is tight).  

Kinda similar to my Mackie DLM8s. They're rated at 2000W ( right...... ) but they cut nicely on stage with more than enough bottom end when playing with a bass player. They tilt back in a similar way but the best feature to me is that I can accept a monitor feed from FOH and set it up so it's only present in the DLMs and doesn't send back out to FOH. This   feature is invaluable and the sound engineers love that I can monitor  within my rig. The 8" coaxials sound really good.

13 minutes ago, kenheeter said:

Kinda similar to my Mackie DLM8s. They're rated at 2000W ( right...... ) but they cut nicely on stage with more than enough bottom end when playing with a bass player. They tilt back in a similar way but the best feature to me is that I can accept a monitor feed from FOH and set it up so it's only present in the DLMs and doesn't send back out to FOH. This   feature is invaluable and the sound engineers love that I can monitor  within my rig. The 8" coaxials sound really good.

DLM8 has a pole socket?

1 hour ago, zephonic said:

I don't take much stock in the 1000+W claims of several powered speaker manufacturers. I have a "1000W" QSC CP8 that is nowhere near as loud as a 25W Mesa Boogie guitar amp or my late 200W Behringer 208D. Power figures do not equal loudness, creative math for marketing is what it is.

Example: 

powered speaker:

image.png.441d32328e18977e24d97be0e34892f0.png

same cabinet and speakers, unpowered:

image.png.b89aecb5bf99db34d811eff7f04b90f4.png

So how loud would a 180 watt class D amp really be?  I have seen any SPL measurements published, so who really knows.  

" .. The base version of the STAGEPAS 200 begins at around €699 ($750 USD) with the price rising to over €800 ($860 USD) depending upon which battery option you choose..". 

For that kind of money there are better options.  My two cents.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The ZLX-12 is rated "250 W continuous and 1000 W peak power handling" -- the ZLX-12P amp is rated 1000 W with no further description, so I'd guess it's probably 1000 W peak, and so the specs for the two speakers would be consistent. 

But yes, watts don't tell you how loud something will be, not without knowing the efficiency (sensitivity) of the speaker, that's why the SPL figures are more useful, on these powered speakers where you can't separate the amp from the speaker.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

The ZLX-12 is rated "250 W continuous and 1000 W peak power handling" -- the ZLX-12P amp is rated 1000 W with no further description, so I'd guess it's probably 1000 W peak, and so the specs for the two speakers would be consistent. 

But yes, watts don't tell you how loud something will be, not without knowing the efficiency (sensitivity) of the speaker, that's why the SPL figures are more useful, on these powered speakers where you can't separate the amp from the speaker.

Typically peak is double continuous and then there is instantaneous.  So in the above example 250 would be 500 watts peak and 1000 watts instantaneous.  Instantaneous is typically under a couple of seconds of time, so my feeling is that they are not the same.  But as someone has said earlier it is creative marketing BS.  One thing for certain, my EV is LOUD.  So we're back to what the 180 represents, continuous? peak? instantaneous?  Unknown until we see SPL values.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

5 hours ago, zephonic said:

Agree...  I start with the stated specs, which are often incomplete or even misleading, and then it's trial and error.   

The Yamaha Stagepass 200 looks interesting but, like its JBL, Bose, and Roland equivalents, it's pricey. For me, if I really wanted to busk, unless I got a sweet deal on one of those things, I'd save $$ and just buy a portable generator for a couple of hundred bucks and use it with stuff I already have.  But then again, I'm notoriously cheap.

OT:   WRG to B208d's. .. I still have a couple of 'em and I agree they are friggin LOUD little beasts, IMO as loud or louder than other much more expensive. purportedly louder equivalent 8 inch powered speakers based on stated max SPL's.  IMO they also sound pretty good for their price point.  I paid just $175 for two of 'em factory refurbished a few years ago. MusicTribe here in Vegas even promptly replaced one of 'em because it had a problem after it was delivered. 

For the record, I'm not a Behringer endorser. IMO Behringer gear is fit-for-purpose given its price point.  

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

31 minutes ago, HSS said:

Agree...  I start with the stated specs, which are often incomplete or even misleading, and then it's trial and error.   

The Yamaha Stagepass 200 looks interesting but, like its JBL, Bose, and Roland equivalents, it's pricey. For me, if I really wanted to busk, unless I got a sweet deal on one of those things, I'd save $$ and just buy a portable generator for a couple of hundred bucks and use it with stuff I already have.  But then again, I'm notoriously cheap.

OT:   WRG to B208d's. .. I still have a couple of 'em and I agree they are friggin LOUD little beasts, IMO as loud or louder than other much more expensive. purportedly louder equivalent 8 inch powered speakers based on stated max SPL's.  IMO they also sound pretty good for their price point.  I paid just $175 for two of 'em factory refurbished a few years ago. MusicTribe here in Vegas even promptly replaced one of 'em because it had a problem after it was delivered. 

For the record, I'm not a Behringer endorser. IMO Behringer gear is fit-for-purpose given its price point.  

You’re not off base with price assessment - assuming street price in the US is about $650 (I haven’t narrowed that down yet from the most popular online dealers).   It may very well be over priced as a battery powered speaker - clearly they feel the included mixer and compact design add to its value.  How well it sounds, functions and sells will dictate what they can actually sell it for. 

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

Fudd, i just noticed your signature now includes a mojo.  What persuaded you to buy it?

I was going to pickup an old Yamaha Electone just to dabble in dual manuals and foot pedals.  But brother Dave Doerfler had a working mojo with midi pedals that needed a new home.  Sometimes things just work out. :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

180 Watts from a Class D amp isn't particularly loud but for practices and strictly monitoring it might work well.

I´d put ´em on my stand, facing me,- and use a sub in addition.

Should be great WHEN there´s a PA always.

For sure, these are not for the audience, except very small rooms.

150W class-D power for a woofer isn´t much.

I own an Ashly 4x 150W into 4 ohms class-D power amp to use in my home w/ passive speakers,-

thats nice on a short distance.

:)

A.C.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Good catch...  For a cheapskate like me, that looks interesting.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

12 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Interesting.

B&C are very good speakers.

Which brand/model are these and where to buy ?

:)

A.C.

Sorry... I just assembled them myself. I bought the B&C drivers and B&C crossovers from Parts Express, and after running the numbers put them in 14" cubes I got off Amazon.  The coaxial drivers are the same as in the Danley SM80 - minus the horn of course, but I'm not trying to throw the sound across a stadium like Danley systems. Powered with an iNuke they're extremely balanced and powerful. For mains they're always with subs, but for monitors they work stand-alone just fine. 

That said - I don't use them all that much because they don't look like much. Most of the time I'm setting up my JBL SRXs - which look more imposing and have that JBL badge on the front. 

19 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Same debate - what does that 120 watts mean with regard to SPL and needed volume, and does the unit sound any good on pianos?  Is it just for monitoring or that’s the whole PA right there.  

1 hour ago, Bill H. said:

Sorry... I just assembled them myself. I bought the B&C drivers and B&C crossovers from Parts Express, and after running the numbers put them in 14" cubes I got off Amazon.  The coaxial drivers are the same as in the Danley SM80 - minus the horn of course, but I'm not trying to throw the sound across a stadium like Danley systems. Powered with an iNuke they're extremely balanced and powerful. For mains they're always with subs, but for monitors they work stand-alone just fine. 

That said - I don't use them all that much because they don't look like much. Most of the time I'm setting up my JBL SRXs - which look more imposing and have that JBL badge on the front. 

“14" cubes I got off Amazon” 

can you share what type of cube speaker enclosure this is? 
what amplifier is in the box? or they’re passive? 

14 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Same debate - what does that 120 watts mean with regard to SPL and needed volume, and does the unit sound any good on pianos?  Is it just for monitoring or that’s the whole PA right there.  

whole pa. i have no idea what kind of volume it does....  and i've never tried one (am considering buying).  however... i've come across many youtube videos of buskers (solo & whole bands) in other countries using them (or a diff model same brand) and that is also my intended purpose.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

“14" cubes I got off Amazon” 

can you share what type of cube speaker enclosure this is? 
what amplifier is in the box? or they’re passive? 

Sorry I didn't post details. I was basically just trying to show how small cabs can get with coaxial speakers - even with larger than 8" drivers. The enclosures were unloaded 12" subwoofer cubes 14 inches on each side, and after checking the T/S numbers went ahead and loaded them up - including handles and pole mount sockets. They are passive. I've been powering them with an INuke - one of Behringer's lightweight Class D power amps. They say it's 6000 watts :laugh: it's over 1000 watts per channel though, and has been reliable for years. 

I put this project together several years ago to address specific issues of a room I was in a lot back then - but also because I thought it would be cool to have cabs with the same drivers as an upscale speaker costing several thousand dollars each. I think I put pics up when I did it, but that old photobucket account is gone now. I still use them at times, including recently at an old Wendy's that didn't survive lockdown and was converted into a bar. As you can imagine, things are pretty tight in there. 

I wouldn't recommend anyone doing this now. I just looked it up and those coaxial drivers are now over $700 each! When I did this project they were half that. 

Back to topic: I wish Yamaha had made this system with 10" or 12" coaxials, but I'm not the market for them. If 8" work for you guys, it's OK. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Bill H. said:

Sorry I didn't post details. I was basically just trying to show how small cabs can get with coaxial speakers - even with larger than 8" drivers. The enclosures were unloaded 12" subwoofer cubes 14 inches on each side, and after checking the T/S numbers went ahead and loaded them up - including handles and pole mount sockets. They are passive. I've been powering them with an INuke - one of Behringer's lightweight Class D power amps. They say it's 6000 watts :laugh: it's over 1000 watts per channel though, and has been reliable for years. 

I put this project together several years ago to address specific issues of a room I was in a lot back then - but also because I thought it would be cool to have cabs with the same drivers as an upscale speaker costing several thousand dollars each. I think I put pics up when I did it, but that old photobucket account is gone now. I still use them at times, including recently at an old Wendy's that didn't survive lockdown and was converted into a bar. As you can imagine, things are pretty tight in there. 

I wouldn't recommend anyone doing this now. I just looked it up and those coaxial drivers are now over $700 each! When I did this project they were half that. 

Back to topic: I wish Yamaha had made this system with 10" or 12" coaxials, but I'm not the market for them. If 8" work for you guys, it's OK. 

Brilliant.  And the result of your efforts?  Pleased with the sound, if not the looks so much?

They look and sound great. They just don't look very imposing - which is kinda important when you are doing DJ and karaoke gigs. These little dinky cubes throw out an amazing amount of sound, with a lot of vocal clarity - something coaxials are known for. 

I put rotating pole mount sockets on them so I could raise them up high, and aim them downwards at dance floors - keeping the energy focused and away from bar areas. That was my main purpose in building them at the time. And then that club (which I worked for years) closed when an outside developer suddenly "bought the block" and closed it's businesses. A shame... that club was a steady money maker that regularly employed over 20. 

But I've used them in that capacity since - like last summer when I was DJ'ing an outside venue one block away from a Fairfield Marriott. They can be tilted at a far greater angle than the usual 5-10 degrees, and because they're a cube they're very stable at steep angles. 

At the old Wendy's I've just got them aimed straight out though like a regular cabinet. I'm so impressed with these kids... a couple of guys in their mid 20s started looking into that mothballed Wendy's, signed a lease at a huge discount, and then transformed it into a bar. It's on a busy street, there's several large apartment complexes within a block or two and a Motel 6 across the parking lot, and it's packed. Of course it's just the size of a Wendy's :laugh: but they incorporated the outside seating into the bar which doubles it's capacity. The lease also covers some of the parking lot of the strip mall behind them, and they've started renting spaces to food trucks - turning the whole thing into a food truck court with a bar. They've got three in there so far, with more coming. 

Anyway it's been a lesson in how to make it in this business post pandemic. 

Sorry for the OT... just rambling waiting for the Jaguars/ Chiefs to start. :) 

Wow, really surprised all the folks that have posted don’t know about the JBL Eon One Compact (JBL EOC), which is the closest to being a direct competitor: close in price, lithium battery.  I’ve had mine for several years now and what a great setup, it’s the dream speaker I always wanted when jamming outdoors with no AC available:

Back panel controls with infinity knobs means that for all 4 channels, 1 channel at a time, you’ve got easy access to:

- low and high EQ (none of that 1 knob nonsense)

- reverb

With the use of the app, the onboard EQ is to die for:

- 4 bands of fully parametric EQ per channel as well as a high pass/low pass bass and treble EQ

- 8 bands of fully parametric EQ for the EQ-out

Effects: 

- Reverb / chorus / delay:

- you’ve got all 3 of these on one page with lots of options

- unfortunately you only get a send to control how much of all these effects go to each individual channel

- I find these effects to be good quality with a decent amount of options

Other:

- Ducking

- Phantom power

- 2 microphone inputs

- can easily add/control more EOC speakers via a centrally controlled app

- 8 snapshots

- 2 USB charging ports

It’s such a pleasure to be able to sit in my playing position and adjust everything!  No more going to the back of the speaker, then back to sitting, ad nauseum.

————————

EOC Sound quality: not on a par with my K8.2 for piano, but otherwise very enjoyable.

SPL: this is where the Yamaha and others have a big advantage, the EOC is listed as having 112 db SPL, considerably lower volume capabilities than the 125db SPL of the StagePas 2.

Size: nod to the SP2, the EOC presents as a typical 8” 2-way; love the small form factor of co-axial!

Weight: SP2 at 27 pounds, EOC at 17

Price: close to the same. 

PJD wrote up a summary from the Winter Namm show

• Like 1

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB