Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Google digging deeper, ugh...

I've been DDG for years, I guess. It's been rare that I've turned to another search engine for a broad web search. I have it set as the default on all my devices.

I also dislike when people use "Google" as a verb and act like it's the only option, but I tend to be funny that way. :freak:  :D 

The worst part for me is, one of Google's founders is a fellow Terp and I think he gives back to the university quite a bit. Normally I would support his company for doing that but I just can't. :( 

• Like 2

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

1 hour ago, Joe Muscara said:

I've been DDG for years, I guess. It's been rare that I've turned to another search engine for a broad web search. I have it set as the default on all my devices.

I also dislike when people use "Google" as a verb and act like it's the only option, but I tend to be funny that way. :freak:  :D 

The worst part for me is, one of Google's founders is a fellow Terp and I think he gives back to the university quite a bit. Normally I would support his company for doing that but I just can't. :( 

I had DDG on but not fully "ON". Now its ON but there is still the elaborate and annoying step of switching from gmail. Moving a contact list is one thing, notifying all relevant parties of the change (and expecting consistent responses and results) is entirely another. Ugh... 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

20 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

there is still the elaborate and annoying step of switching from gmail. Moving a contact list is one thing, notifying all relevant parties of the change (and expecting consistent responses and results) is entirely another. Ugh... 

In my life, I have many email accounts (domains) which I try to separate for business, personal, and others. I'm not sure what annoys me more, when people send to the wrong account, or when they send to multiple ones at the same time.

That being said, after nearly two years of living in this house, we're still getting real mail for the previous owner. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've had a few accounts myself, currently down to 2, both gmail. One of them is the "trash" account, where I sign up for free plugins and other craps like that. 

The other is for communicating with friends, enemies and neutral parties. There's a good bit of deadwood in that one, people who never contact me and people I never contact. 

Obvious step one is to start a new account, this thread has given me some great ideas. I'll do more research and transition away from the google monster.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'm big on using disposable email addresses for places ranging from ones I buy stuff from to ones I don't trust. I had been primarily using one source that was pretty good and very powerful but they've had some issues lately, not the least of which is that some places are actually rejecting domains that are on a list of disposable accounts. Lately I've been using the "Hide My Email" feature Apple is providing. There's no way places are going to reject an iCloud.com address, even if the user looks like sparse01-sprockets@icloud.com or something like that. There are other places that provide disposable email addresses as well, but I keep forgetting the one other I have used!

On 1/21/2023 at 9:02 AM, Joe Muscara said:

I'm not a fan of Proton, the company. If I were to look for such a service, I'd look elsewhere. JMO.

? Because?

Anyway yeah I have an email account I use for plugins or other stuff I don't care if it gets hacked. Good to have. Signed, Fred Smith. :)   

10 hours ago, bill5 said:

Because

Frankly, I think they're playing games with Apple like some other companies. I'm not saying Apple is perfect, here specifically on privacy and such, but I've seen them say things about Apple that I found to be hyperbolic. I wish I could find the article but I'm not seeing it now.

If it works for you, then :cool: