Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Hammer of Reality

skipclone 1

Hi All

Well it didn't take 2023 long, did it. I truly wish everyone an amazing year.
That said, last week I got news that the bass player from my former band in New York, the Lost Gurus, is no longer with us. Dana was a consummate musician. He played the bass like a real bass player, rather than 'I should have been a guitar player'. He was also a multicultural instrumentalist, having studied and performing on Indian tablas and sarod. His teacher was a student of legend Ustad Ali Akbar Khan. I was just getting around to posting about it.
Then we lost Jeff Beck.
I didn't make any specific new year resolutions. But judging from the last few years, I have an Idea for a T-shirt.
'Time doesn't brake for high hopes'.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

And of course, sometimes the Hammer of Reality meets the Anvil of Absurdity and everything crumbles before your very eyes. 

One year and three days ago, after having water come out of my ceiling and onto the kitchen floor, getting under the floor and also (since it was only one stream of the disaster from above) ruining the sheet rock on both sides of the wall between my condo and the next one over, I moved into a friend's vacant home.

We thought it would be repaired within a reasonable time frame. They did the tear out, dry out immediately - to prevent black mold from destroying everything. I am grateful for that. 

Today I was told that the sink and garbage disposal were left on site. The refrigerator, stove and microwave have been stuffed into the bathroom. The water is off. 

The kitchen cabinets they had to tear out are finally installed and almost complete. It won't be too much longer before I can live at the condo I've been buying since 2006.

This isn't too bad here, it certainly could have been much worse. I also could have done without this entire disaster, which was started by a pipe in the edge of the ceiling on the 3rd floor and one door over bursting last December when the temperature went down to 9 degrees. The contractor who came to replace the sheet rock ceiling in that unit accidentally broke a fire suppression system sprinkler and down came the water, damaging 5 units. 

Another contractor is doing all the repair work (thankfully) but after the floods in Sumas and Everson a year ago December ruined many homes, they were already over-booked, all local contractors were. So I've had to wait. 

It's not my favorite circumstance by any means. Ugh... 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.