Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pickup for 3/4 size acoustic guitar.

surfergirl

Need to get a pickup for my half sisters Yamaha 3/4 size acoustic guitar. I don't think most of sound hole pickups will fit, I could be wrong. I'm looking at the DiMarzio DP130, at $60. The price fits her budget. I know DiMarzio makes good pickups. Any other suggestions in that price range.

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

What size is the hole?  Also I assume this isn’t for real loud stages.   Bill Lawerence make a sound hole pickup for small guitars. It might work well. I love Bill Lawerence Pedal Steel pickups.  They also made some classic electric guitar humbuckers  but I don’t know anything about their acoustic pickups.  

K&K pure mini would be great but that is a $100 plus depending on what control options you want to add. Then you may want a preamp.   They have a good output for a passive but Your mileage may vary. A preamp is another $60+.  

I would ask at the forum below. I’m a longtime member but haven’t been active in the last couple years. It has always been a vary active forum.   All the stuff I personally know that works well is expensive LR Baggs, Fishman and K&K gear and I don’t think you need to spend that much money for a lower volume setting. 

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

58 minutes ago, CEB said:

What size is the hole?  Also I assume this isn’t for real loud stages.   Bill Lawerence make a sound hole pickup for small guitars. It might work well. I love Bill Lawerence Pedal Steel pickups.  They also made some classic electric guitar humbuckers  but I don’t know anything about their acoustic pickups.  

K&K pure mini would be great but that is a $100 plus depending on what control options you want to add. Then you may want a preamp.   They have a good output for a passive but Your mileage may vary. A preamp is another $60+.  

I would ask at the forum below. I’m a longtime member but haven’t been active in the last couple years. It has always been a vary active forum.   All the stuff I personally know that works well is expensive LR Baggs, Fishman and K&K gear and I don’t think you need to spend that much money for a lower volume setting. 

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php

The sound hole is about 3". It will be used in 2 guitar duo with me. Not on loud stages. Busking and holefully coffee shops. I looked at the K&K and others. I'll check out the acousticguitarforum.

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

We have some other options. We're using a microphone for practice, that's working pretty good and I have more than enough mics. She's also taking a liking to my G&L, I thinks it's those colored strings that I don't like. So we have time to decide.

Jennifer S.

SurferGirl, I think the G&L electric straight-in would be a better choice for busking outdoors, than a mic'ed acoustic. It may not look as cool, but I'll bet it will get a very decent guitar sound along with putting the amps effects to good use.  A mic'ed acoustic indoors would be fine.  Outdoors you may have wind and volume problems even using a windsock...Best wishes for a successful duo! 😎 

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz