Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2022-2023 Thread

It appears that I never started a current NBA thread after the last season ended. I’ve searched, but I can’t find it; my apologies for the oversight. So now, let me present a belated Official NBA 2022-2023 thread!

Here are some headlines to get us started:

Damian Lillard becomes Trail Blazers' all-time leading scorer

Nikola Jokic records rare 13-13-13 line as Nuggets beat Grizz

Mat Ishbia agrees to Suns purchase for record $4 billion

I’m really glad Robert Sarver’s ownership is finally coming to an end.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• 1 month later...

Apparently, I didn’t create this thread shortly after the 2021-2022 season ended. My apologies.

It’s just before the trade deadline, and we have some news:

Sources: Suns acquiring Kevin Durant in blockbuster deal with Nets

The Suns had to mortgage their future to do it, but at least they kept most of their team together. :thu:

Sources: Lakers land D'Angelo Russell in three-team trade

Kyrie Irving debuts for Mavs, scores 24 in win over Clippers

Best,

Geoff

Reads like the Brooklyn Nets just blew up the team. 🤣

Guess it was generous of Brooklyn giving two their best players an opportunity to win a championship elsewhere.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Wow.

Hope that was a fun way for Mr. Tsai to spend a little pocket change last couple years.

Good on Dallas and Phoenix making moves to take a good run at it.

My Dubs sadly on the decline, looking like faded champions in search of an identity. 

I hope Kevin gets himself another ring, and perhaps finds a little personal happiness in his new private Idaho.

3 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Nothing like the NBA trade deadline, man...

Feeling optimistic about your Suns chances, Geoff?

I would say I’m cautiously optimistic, Eric. It’s hard to get too carried away over a franchise that has still yet to win it all, and I remember a Shaq trade that didn’t work out well the last time the Suns were this close.

Of course, KD is closer to his prime now than Shaq was then. Whatever the outcome, it’ll be fun to watch. 

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35620592/phoenix-suns-acquiring-kevin-durant-blockbuster-deal-brooklyn-nets

Durant, Kyrie Irving and James Harden all arrived to conquer the NBA together, and they all left on the muscle of trade requests. They played a total of 16 games together.

SMDH.

Meanwhile, the Rockets have traded for John Wall? I don't get that, after having him sit out all of last year, and him badmouthing how they treated him.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 months later...

@Dave Bryce is it possible to merge this thread with the other one?

I'm not sure how I missed the earlier thread when I created this one. If the two threads can't be merged, then perhaps the older one should be deleted as it just has posts from me so far.

Sorry for the mess, and thanks for any help!

Best,

Geoff

As of right this second...I like Milwaukee and Golden State to get to finals...but I have as little confidence in those picks as I can remember having in recent memory.  I could easily see Boston getting out of the east...and the west is even tighter and more unpredictable.  Lakers?  Nuggets?  Suns? Who the heck knows...

Yeah, I have more faith in the Bucks reaching the Finals than I do in any Western Conference team. The Suns seem to be the favorite with KD, but they haven't had much time to gel as a team. That said, they're undefeated with Durant, so that's a confidence builder; but I doubt that will last long in playoff basketball.

Best,

Geoff

As we all know, the Suns sacrificed a lot of their depth to get Kevin Durant. As a result, their bench was outscored 34-10 by the Clippers bench in yesterday’s 115-110 loss. In other words, the Suns starters outscored the Clippers starters 100-86, which should have provided a comfortable margin of victory.

It’s going to be challenging for the Suns to advance unless they figure out how to be more productive while their stars rest.

Best,

Geoff

Both my picks above could be in trouble...

Looks likes all the scans have come back clean for Giannis.  That said, he's such a physically dominant, high-motor player that I'd say, even if he doesn't actually miss games, a balky back might be enough to doom Milwaukee...then again, Miami lost Tyler Herro, who is key for them off the bench...

Congratulations to The Suns for advancing. The Clippers really do not have the greatest luck, do they, with George and Leonard out. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Ken!

Devin Booker goes off for 47 points as Suns eliminate Clippers

Yeah, with Kawhi Leonard out after Game 2 and Paul George out for the whole series, it’s not surprising to see the Suns advance, despite having the weaker bench. The upcoming series against the Nuggets will provide a bigger challenge. Here’s hoping Phoenix can advance to the Western Conference Finals.

GO SUNS!!!  :thu:  :cool: 

(And Go Lakers!)

Best,

Geoff

That weaker bench is going to become more of a liability the further they go into the playoffs, unfortunately. It's challenging to win when your starters regularly supply 90% of your points.

That's true. It's too bad the Suns couldn't have had their cake and eaten it too by keeping their depth while getting Kevin Durant.

That said, the starting group is a sight to see. How are you going to guard Devin Booker, KD, and Chris Paul? You don't want to ignore Deandre Ayton either. I wouldn't put it past them to win it all; but the stars will have to align in their favor, considering their remaining bench.

Best,

Geoff

I missed that game unfortunately, but heard that Butler just about singlehandedly defeated them.

Anthony Davis was inspiring today. He was all over the place, blocking or altering shots, grabbing rebounds, scoring, disrupting, hustling. Great win for the Lakers.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:21 PM, Geoff Grace said:

That said, the starting group is a sight to see. How are you going to guard Devin Booker, KD, and Chris Paul? You don't want to ignore Deandre Ayton either. I wouldn't put it past them to win it all; but the stars will have to align in their favor, considering their remaining bench.

I don't know. That's a tall order. There's gonna be some great games ahead of us.

Yeah, I don't know either, Ken. Tonight's telling statistic: Devin Booker and Kevin Durant combined for 56 points, while the rest of the Suns' team combined for just 51 in the loss to Denver.

The Nuggets have a great home court advantage. They're undefeated at home so far this postseason. It also helps that Denver has the thin, mile-high air. Phoenix was competitive during the first half, but they were worn out—and blown out—in the second half.

Best,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Nuggets blow past Suns 125-100, advance to Western Conference finals

Congrats to any Nuggets fans who might be here. They’ll be a tough opponent for the Lakers or Warriors.

Just as the Suns benefitted from the Clippers injuries—first to Paul George and then to Kawhi Leonard—in the opening series, they were harmed by their own injuries—first to Chris Paul and then to Deandre Ayton—in their series against the Nuggets. I think there’s a good chance that Denver would have won anyway—they are the top seed after all—but it would have been great to see all hands on deck in both series.

One ray of hope for the Suns was Landry Shamet’s performance in the Suns’ Game 4 win without Chris Paul. For one game, at least, Devin Booker and Kevin Durant didn’t have to do all of the heavy lifting. I wonder whether Shamet will be part of next year’s squad.

Best,

Geoff

Good strong win for the Lakers, with some tough defense and good transition scoring.

We shall see what happens against the Nuggets, who are the #1 seed.

• Like 1