Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DAW Controllers

I'm planning to get one, but there's so many out there...what do ya'll think. Mackie HUI's, CM Motormix, Tascam US-428, etc, etc, or how bout that Sac-2K controller by Radikal Technologies. Any one owns any of these or have experience with these??...let me know your opinions and your recommendations. I'm trying to figure out which is the best for the price.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You might get better luck with this question in Roger's Digital Recording Forum: http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi I'm interested in anything else out there too, and just realized that you can perhaps purchase a cheap, but high quality digital mixer to use as an interface to some DAW programs. IE: a Tascam Dm-1000, using the MIDI In/Out, you can control the volume/pans in Cubase VST I'm sure if you can do this in Cubase, there is a way to do it in other programs, or there soon will be. http://www.cubase.net is where I found that out at, and emailed a guy, and he let me know that it is VERY cool. So, as soon as more people find out this is possible, the price of SOME DAW controllers will probably drop a little bit. Here are some more: [list] Steinberg Houston Encore Slidemate SUPPOSEDLY Logic Control for Logic audio???? Lmk if you find a link for the Logic Control [/list] Also, lmk if you come across any cheap digital mixers that might work like this. Also, hehehehhe lmk if you're going to move this question to the DAW forum, that way, I'll copy/paste this over there before you delete it here. KIT, because I'm looking for ideas as well

Logic controll is still in development and will be released with Logic 5v - it's quite expensive though .... And NoKompetition , If you are looking for a controller for a DAW, buy the one your DAW manufacturer makes. That will be the best combo IMO. Danny ----- A happy Logic user

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Usicma,...yea, i actually thought about the digital mixer too, also, maybe a standalone recorder like, say a Korg D1600 as a DAW controller and i can use it to record gigs outside also...??? Ok, probably not. Mr Darling...i use Digital performer, they recommended the HUI's or that CM Motormix. The one for logic 5 looks real good, too bad i don't use logic. Hui looks like the one's to get, but at over $3,500 ?!?!? Ouch !!!!!! [ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: NoKompetition ]

[quote] maybe a standalone recorder like, say a Korg D1600 as a DAW controller and i can use it to record gigs outside also...??? Ok, probably not. [/quote] YES! With Cubase, after reading, I'm confident control over the parameters can be obtained with MIDI/in/out I don't know about with DP though. Still researching, please definitely lmk if you find anything where DP allows external control via MIDI or something else. That korg also has SCSI, but I think an actual program/plug would need to be developed for the mixer to work if not using MIDI. Cubase has something called "mixmaps or mix maps" hehe. DP is looking nice though, and I think I might be choosing that as my DAW when I build it, so definitely lmk if you find any info on external control or DP user group forums. A couple minutes of irrestible searching later....... [b]MUahahahahhahaha ahahahhah a YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b] Downloaded the Manual for the MotorMix.......guess what it uses to communicate...MIDI/in/out I think 99% sure, if something with faders has MIDI/in/out, it can controll the functions within a DAW...I'm going to make another post here about it. I need a GREAT midi book, will jump to local store see if they have the one they told me was the best before...it was out of stock. My post will be asking how to basically program a Midi Device to controller aspects of a DAW....this post won't be up for awhile until I buy that book... I'll test my theory out with my QS6.... It has a CONTROLLER A, usually used to EDIT value on the qs6....but I'll see if I can figure out how to make it controller something inside of a DAW program instead.... Feeling good about this...anyone with any specifics, would appreciate some pointers..

I have a US428 and it is great as a controller. It has a jog wheel(which i love) It is USB.(handy for laptops) It has 4 A/D converters. It is very stable with the latest drivers.(on the PC anyway) I use it in sound forge and it just makes editing so much quicker. Just put my left hand on the 428 and right on the mouse and bang bang bang. Sweeeet! You can assign a ton of shit where ever you want for soft synths too. I also use Sonar with the 428 template and that speeds things up considerably.(although a better template is on the way we are told from Cakewalk)

• 2 weeks later...
The Radikal SAC-2K works great. WE have one for sale in better than excellent condition if anyone wants one cheap. https://www.digibid.com/item/showItem.cfm?aid=95223 Thanks! EC [url=http://www.masterscoremusic.com]www.masterscoremusic.com[/url]

[quote]Originally posted by ericope: [b]The Radikal SAC-2K works great. WE have one for sale in better than excellent condition if anyone wants one cheap. https://www.digibid.com/item/showItem.cfm?aid=95223 Thanks! EC [url=http://www.masterscoremusic.com]www.masterscoremusic.com[/url] [/b][/quote] Hmmmmm......I wonder what Khan would make of this? :D later, Mike [ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: coolhouse ]

Archived