Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2023 Thread

Geoff Grace

August = offense!

Braves 12-5 over Angels

Padres 11-1 over Rockies

Marlins 9-8 over Phillies

Rangers 11-1 over White Sox

Dodgers 10-1 over A's

Cubs 16-6 over Reds

Last night: Cubs 20-9 over Reds. The 36 runs over the last 2 games are their most in a 2-game span within a season since 1897.

Now watch this:  spacer.png

• Haha 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 4 weeks later...

In the meantime…

The Dodgers are now 23-4 in August, and Clayton Kershaw tied Don Drysdale (209) tonight for second on the franchise wins list behind Don Sutton, who won 233 with the Dodgers and 324 total. More here:

Betts hits career-high 36th homer and Dodgers pound out 16 hits in a 9-1 rout of Diamondbacks

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

On 8/30/2023 at 12:01 AM, Geoff Grace said:

The Dodgers are now 23-4 in August

Make that 24-4.

It's going to be up to the Braves to decide whether the Dodgers finish the month 25-4 or 24-5. The contest will be the start of an exciting 4-game series in Los Angeles between the two NL leaders for the pennant race. LA has been closing the gap, but they're still four games behind Atlanta.

Best,

Geoff

17 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Make that 24-4.

It's going to be up to the Braves to decide whether the Dodgers finish the month 25-4 or 24-5. The contest will be the start of an exciting 4-game series in Los Angeles between the two NL leaders for the pennant race. LA has been closing the gap, but they're still four games behind Atlanta.

Best,

Geoff

It's going to be an interesting series with Acuna and Betts, each fighting for MVP, along with Olson and Freeman. The top four candidates are playing in this series.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

4 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

It's going to be an interesting series with Acuna and Betts, each fighting for MVP, along with Olson and Freeman. The top four candidates are playing in this series.

Wow, what a game! Braves hang on to an 8-7 win. Mookie hits two homers, but Acuna hit a grand slam to give him 30 homers, 60 stolen bases - first ever to do that in MLB history. Plus, he got married this morning.

• Like 1

The Braves have never swept a 4-game series at Dodger Stadium, and it didn't happen today, either. But they took 3 of 4, and now face the Cardinals and Pirates at home while the Dodgers head to Miami.

Acuna has arguably had one of the best statistical seasons in the history of the game.  No one has ever hit 30 homers and stolen 60 bases.  it's unlikely he'll reach 40 homers, but he'll certainly end up surpassing 35/70 (only decade numbers count in baseball lore). No doubt he's had some help on the stolen base side by the new rules that favor base thieves, but the fact remains he's shattered previous benchmarks for combining power and speed.

i don't know much about Acuna's defensive skills.  That might be one area where Mookie Betts catches up with him a bit in the MVP calculations.  But Acuna has two young children.  When my children were that age, I could barely brush my teeth due to brain fog.  Acuna gets my MVP vote on that alone.

• Like 2

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

12 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Yeah, today was a 3-1 win in favor of the Dodgers, and the series was 3-1 in favor of the Braves. Atlanta is a better team, and Acuña should be the MVP. Congrats on the series win, Synthaholic.

Best,

Geoff

I was shocked to not see Joe Kelly pitch in any of the 4 games. Unless I got distracted and missed it. Also it seems like we never face Clayton Kershaw.

2 hours ago, Adan said:

i don't know much about Acuna's defensive skills. 

High catch rate, one of the best outfield arms in baseball, but very bad range. Basically, if he can get to it - and that's a big if - he'll catch it. 

Acuna.JPG.7a826acc8c125497420c5821dd0a6fc5.JPG

3 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

I was shocked to not see Joe Kelly pitch in any of the 4 games. Unless I got distracted and missed it. Also it seems like we never face Clayton Kershaw.

Good observation, Synthaholic. Kelly has right elbow inflammation and is expected to return later this month. I don’t know why the Dodgers didn’t use Kershaw. 

I’m glad Walker Buehler is expected back from Tommy John surgery soon. I hope he’ll be fully recovered and be helpful during the playoffs.

Best,

Geoff

4 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Good observation, Synthaholic. Kelly has right elbow inflammation and is expected to return later this month. I don’t know why the Dodgers didn’t use Kershaw. 

I’m glad Walker Buehler is expected back from Tommy John surgery soon. I hope he’ll be fully recovered and be helpful during the playoffs.

Best,

Geoff

I assumed Bueller was going to pitch on Sunday, but they used Miller, who was lights out.

I wanted Kelly to pitch just to see if he would stick his tongue out at anyone.  spacer.png

Yes, it's disturbing news.

Dodgers P Julio Urías arrested on domestic violence charges

The Dodgers posted, “We are aware of an incident involving Julio Urías. While we attempt to learn all the facts, he will not be traveling with the team. The organization has no further comment at this time.” It seems likely he will be placed on administrative leave by Major League Baseball, while it investigates the case. Urías was also suspended in 2019, when he was arrested on suspicion of domestic battery.

Obviously, domestic violence is reprehensible. I don’t know whether Urías is guilty or innocent, but it doesn’t look good at this point. Depending on what is revealed during the investigation, it’s possible that Urías’s MLB career is over.

Best,

Geoff

On 9/4/2023 at 12:13 PM, Geoff Grace said:

Well, so much for that!

Dodgers P Walker Buehler won't return to rotation this season

Walker Buehler, Tony Gonsolin, and Dustin May are all out for the year. Julio Urías is probably gone for good, after his felony domestic violence arrest. Fortunately, Clayton Kershaw is healthy enough to play; but even he has diminished capacity due to shoulder issues.

As a result, the Dodgers are having to mostly rely on young starters like Emmet Sheehan and Ryan Pepiot. They show promise but are unproven in the playoffs.

Best,

Geoff

Wasn't Dustin May out all last season, too?

That's terrible news for the Dodgers, but probably in their best interests long-term for Bueller not to rush it and end up with a major set-back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Wasn't Dustin May out all last season, too?

That's terrible news for the Dodgers, but probably in their best interests long-term for Bueller not to rush it and end up with a major set-back.

I agree. Walker Buehler could be a Dodger for years to come. It’s a good idea to not push things.

As for Dustin May, he had Tommy John surgery in 2021 and therefore missed much of 2021 and 2022. This year, he’s also been out since May with a flexor-pronator strain that’s healing more slowly than hoped.

Best,

Geoff

Maybe the Dodgers need to reevaluate their pitching coaches/philosophy. They seem to have an inordinate amount of pitching injuries. Those usually are due to bad mechanics. Dustin May has so much potential, or did. Three years of being out of the rotation due to injuries is a red flag, along with Bueller, Gonsolin, Kershaw (although his are most likely due to the many miles on his arm), and some others I can't remember right now.

Speaking just as a baseball fan with no insider information, I would think that every MLB team must devote a huge amount of time and resources to ensuring the health andn longevity of their starting pitchers.  Given the amount of money paid to even average starting pitchers, and the damage to a team's chances of success when they go down, it would only make sense to hire the best trainers and physicians.  And even with all that, it's still an enormous guessing game based on how much stress a particular tendon in the arm can withstand.  The fate of major sports team (and verily, I say unto you, the fate of humanity itself) rides on the resilience of a tiny strip of connective tissue attaching two bones together.

The dodgers have had more than their share of problems with their starting staff (not all of which is medically-related).  But consider their southern rivals, the Padres.  Just at the moment when the Pads could have made a push for the wild card, Joe Musgrove goes on the IL with a sore shoulder, suddenly the Pads are relying on the 43 year old Rich Hill who, unless he can bring his ERA below 9.00, seems unlikely to achieve his career goal of playing for every major league team.

Anyway, it just doesn't seem very plausible to me that the Dodgers pitching problems have come about because they didn't hire the smartest caretakers they could find. More plausible is that it's just very bad luck.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I think you’re right, Adan, that even an expert staff can only take their best guess as to how much stress any given arm can withstand. It’s also likely that techniques that lead to the best ERA would sometimes be at odds with those that lead to the best arm health. It must be tough to strike that perfect balance between great pitching and great longevity, even for experts.

Best,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 9:50 AM, Adan said:

43 year old Rich Hill who

I love his nickname: Dick Mountain  😂

23 hours ago, harmonizer said:

Kodai Senga of the Mets is currently 2nd in ERA in the NL, and also in the top 10 in wins and strikeouts.

Imagine if someone told us back in April that by September the Mets would have one pitcher in the top 10 of major stats categories, but that it would not be Verlander or Scherzer.

Or deGrom!