Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Andor's Weird Vibrato - Clever

I got hooked on Andor - the Star Wars series for people who are burned out on Star Wars. And of course, I paid attention to the sound.

In many of the scenes where they wanted to convey anger/anxiety/fear/etc., there was a very slow amount of vibrato, almost like a warped record playing at 4 RPM. It was extremely disturbing, and a clever way to create a contrast with the sections where this wasn't used. 

I also noticed a lot of almost subliminal background sounds, more than most movies. It really made scenes in villages, buildings, etc. a lot more realistic. It made me realize just how many sounds we constantly hear in our day-to-day life, but tune out because they aren't relevant.

And for something completely different. I think Master Chef Canada should get some kind of award for best use of background music to manipulate the viewer's emotions :) I say that with respect. I mean, it's just an effing cooking show - if it weren't for the music, it would be like watching paint dry. Instead, virtually ALL the excitement comes from the music, even more so than quick camera cuts. Whoever is cutting in the music should get a raise.

Does anyone else think more attention is being paid to music than ever before in TV and movies?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

I watched all 12 episodes of Andor, will have to re visit for slow vibrato. 

It seemed more prevalent in the last few episodes. Or maybe it just took me that long to notice it.

• 1 month later...

One thing that's been bugging me is that some shows seem like they think they have to have music going on everywhere. When I tried to start the second season of Discovery, I struggled because they were playing music all the time, like the music was necessary to set the scene instead of letting the actors and scene do it. At some point, I mostly got over it I guess because I did finally watch it. But compared to TOS, it was a huge difference.

The Orville has been like that too, and it's even worse IMNSHO because sometimes the music takes a dramatic turn but then nothing really happens. Huh?

Interesting observation about Andor. I will have to listen for that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI