Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Esquivel is dead :-(

I can't find a web link for this, so I'm assuming it's not a hoax... [quote]Space-Age Melody Maker Esquivel Dies Space-Age Melody Maker Esquivel Dies By Jon Wiederhorn 01/09/2002 Juan Garcia Esquivel, the '60s lounge music composer who became a belated hero for a community of '90s post-angst alternative irony buffs, died at his home in Jiutepac, Morelos, Mexico on January 3. He was 83. The musician had been bedridden with a back injury for nearly 10 years. Three months ago he suffered a stroke that left him unable to speak and caused paralysis in one-half of his body. He had a second stroke on December 30 that led to his death. Esquivel was born on January 20, 1918 in Tampico, Tamaulipas, Mexico. In his youth he was a popular pianist and bandleader in his homeland, and was a regular attraction on Mexican radio and television. He studied briefly at the Juilliard School in New York and scored and starred in two Mexican movies, "Cabaret Tragico" and "Las Locuras del Rock 'n' Roll," and at age 29 was lured back to the U.S. by RCA Victor Records, which signed him to a recording career. At the time, record labels were only beginning to release stereo albums, and Esquivel fully explored the medium, integrating panning and sonic separation into his winsome melodies. Between 1957 and 1967 Esquivel wrote and released 11 studio albums of effervescent, easy-listening pop flecked with strange galactic sound effects, quirky noises and instrumentation that was exotic for the time (theremin, early Fender-Rhodes keyboards, Chinese bells and bass accordion). His most played composition, however, is "Universal Emblem," a three-second-long flurry of sound that has for decades accompanied the Universal Studios logo at the end of hundreds of television shows. In the '80s Esquivel returned to Mexico, where he worked on music for a children's TV show. In 1994, in response to a renewed underground interest in kitschy martini-pop, Bar/None Records issued the Esquivel compilation Space Age Bachelor Pad Music. Other collections followed, including Music From a Sparkling Planet (1995) and Merry Xmas From the Space-Age Bachelor Pad (1996). Esquivel's whimsical melodies were also featured in numerous films, including "The Big Lebowski," "Four Rooms" and "Beavis and Butt-Head Do America." "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening has called Esquivel "the great unsung genius of space age pop." Although Esquivel enjoyed a career revival in the '90s, a broken hip and aggravated spinal injury left him bedridden and unable to walk. But while he was musically incapacitated, he retained his Austin Powers-like taste for indulgence. In May 2001, at the age of 82, he married his 25-year-old home health care worker, Carina Osario, his sixth wife. After his death he was cremated and his ashes were sent home to his wife. He is survived by his son Mario Eddi Garcia Servin. [/quote]

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am saddened. :( :( :( He was a true mad genius. I brought "Sparkling Planet" to Utah this Christmas, was blasting it in the rental car on the way to Park City. "Boink boink." "Whatchmacallit, Esquivel?" "Wow, too much of a girl!" "Boink boink." :( -David R.
-David R.

Hello Yes, the Great Esquivel passed on last Jan 8th. For a late pic and some news in Spanish visit: http://www.esmas.com/espectaculos/musica/alternativaelectronica/210804.html Viva Juan ! We'll miss him, but he had a VERY Plenty life...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Director de Ventas, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus Audio Electronics

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

here's another Esquivel! site: http://www.poindexter.com/esq.html quotes: [i]In addition to his orchestral recordings for RCA, Esquivel composed and recorded short mood pieces for Universal Studios in the 60’s. These themes have been used in hundreds of TV soundtracks ever since. (Here’s a tiny taste; Adam 12, Bionic Woman, Emergency, [b]Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan’s Island[/b], Incredible Hulk, Magnum, P.I.). Latinesque (l962) -- in the opinion of many, his wildest and most ambitious effort -- was released as part of RCA's Stereo Action series... To ensure the purest stereo separation the album was recorded with half the orchestra ensconced in RCA's Hollywood Studio 1 under the baton of Esquivel, with the other half at Studio 2 -- a block away -- under the direction of Stanley Wilson. Esquivel counted the bands in via the telephone.[/i] he was great. !

Popmusic, I appreciate the report ...I'm totally sorry to hear the news...Huge Esquivel fan! Also, thank you guys for the great links...I feel a "New Orthophonic" High Fidelity recording trip coming on...La La La Laaaaa..La La La La La La...La. La! What can you do when your love isn't true isn't true...what can you do when your love's not true? :rolleyes: Genius!

Viva Juan Garcia Esquivel!!! RIP mio hermano. Ohhh...how I loved this blessed artist! God broke the mold when he made Esquivel. One of my few heroes when it comes to original composers. Esquivel was notorious for his sense of discipline. He composed pieces for 72-piece orchestras, which can be difficult to execute. So, he had these rules, mostly pertaining to abstainance from liquor. Some thought this somewhat dictatorial, but his explaination was: "We would have a live radio show, and 72 musicians can be a lot to manage. In the early days, we would do a soundcheck, and some of the guys would go to the local bar afterwords and have a few. Well, they would come back to the studio, and they'd all be a little out of sync, and with that large of an ensemble, it would become a train wreck. So I had to make some rules." LOL!!! E :)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

I was sorry to hear about this too. My aunt Diane used to work with him in Vegas years ago. My dad forwared this email to me today that is relevent to this topic and might be of some general interest to Esquivel fans: From : DHitmanXXXX.com To : LenoXXXX.com, NaeNaeXXXX.com, pokeefe777@msn.com, TonyXXXX.com Subject : Fwd: Esquivel Date : Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:53:17 EST Reply Reply All Forward Delete Put in Folder...InboxSent MessagesDraftsTrash Can Printer Friendly Version I don't know if you saw in the paper the other day, but Esquivel died in Mexico. He was a Latin Bandleader popular in the 60's and your Aunt Diane worked with him for a while. I sent her an e-mail the other day about him and I have forwarded her answer. I found it interesting. Dad From : "DIANE" To : Subject : Re: Esquivel Date : Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:45:07 -0800 Close to a year. I had to look for other work. His kind of large ensemble was played out in Vegas and he had too much time between jobs. Finally, he gave up and moved back to Mexico City. He had a very young wife. Yvonne, 30 years his junior. She was a dancer. It sounds right, he was about 55. He had perfect pitch, you know. I asked him about that once, how he knew and he said he would see a color spectrum in his head. Weird...He was a protégée of Lalo Shifrin, who wrote many scores for movies over the years,especially the "Dirty Harry:" series. Sinatra gave Esquivel his start in Vegas at the Stardust. He was there almost eleven years. I had received a call out of the blue asking me to join. Apparently one of his troupe saw me in Chicago and they needed a girl. Funnily enough, later they needed a pianist/organist and I recommended a guy I knew, George Dalto. He achieved some notoriety in the Jazz community. If he hadn't gotten that job he would have been sent back on his green card and never would have gotten anywhere. You can still pick up some of his CD's. I loved listening to this guy, however, I think he missed his niche. He stuck too closely to Latin crossover, but he was an excellent straight Jazz pianist and could have really gone somewhere in that genre. Thanks for the info. We will be able to attend the Wedding. Jenny and I can also come to dinner...but Greg may have to go to bed depending on when it is. Love Sis [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

I was sorry to hear about this too. My aunt Diane used to work with him in Vegas years ago. My dad forwared this email to me today that is relevent to this topic and might be of some general interest to Esquivel fans: From : DHitmanXXXX.com To : LenoXXXX.com, NaeNaeXXXX.com, pokeefe777@msn.com, TonyXXXX.com Subject : Fwd: Esquivel Date : Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:53:17 EST Reply Reply All Forward Delete Put in Folder...InboxSent MessagesDraftsTrash Can Printer Friendly Version I don't know if you saw in the paper the other day, but Esquivel died in Mexico. He was a Latin Bandleader popular in the 60's and your Aunt Diane worked with him for a while. I sent her an e-mail the other day about him and I have forwarded her answer. I found it interesting. Dad From : "DIANE" To : Subject : Re: Esquivel Date : Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:45:07 -0800 Close to a year. I had to look for other work. His kind of large ensemble was played out in Vegas and he had too much time between jobs. Finally, he gave up and moved back to Mexico City. He had a very young wife. Yvonne, 30 years his junior. She was a dancer. It sounds right, he was about 55. He had perfect pitch, you know. I asked him about that once, how he knew and he said he would see a color spectrum in his head. Weird...He was a protégée of Lalo Shifrin, who wrote many scores for movies over the years,especially the "Dirty Harry:" series. Sinatra gave Esquivel his start in Vegas at the Stardust. He was there almost eleven years. I had received a call out of the blue asking me to join. Apparently one of his troupe saw me in Chicago and they needed a girl. Funnily enough, later they needed a pianist/organist and I recommended a guy I knew, George Dalto. He achieved some notoriety in the Jazz community. If he hadn't gotten that job he would have been sent back on his green card and never would have gotten anywhere. You can still pick up some of his CD's. I loved listening to this guy, however, I think he missed his niche. He stuck too closely to Latin crossover, but he was an excellent straight Jazz pianist and could have really gone somewhere in that genre. Thanks for the info. We will be able to attend the Wedding. Jenny and I can also come to dinner...but Greg may have to go to bed depending on when it is. Love Sis [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Several years ago we had just received a Silicon Graphics machine and were learning it by creating a stop frame animation of a Captain Kirk doll attack a Fred Flinstone Pez dispenser - It was cute, but didn't really get the office response we wanted. I went and scored it with an excerpt from Esquivel's version of " Sentimental Journey" and the same group was rolling on the floor laughing once the music was added. " Viva La Esquivel"
Woof!

Archived