Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Event TR8 RF Interference

So, I love my TR8's.  However, I'm getting a lot of noise on the right monitor.  Sounds a bit like computer noise.  My computer is about 3-4 feet away.  I've tried swapping monitors, audio cables (both XLR and 1/4" balanced, and RCA unbalanced, static is still there even with no audio connected), power cables, even plugging power into a separate circuit from my computer, as well as a power conditioner.  Can't get rid of the static at all.  Shielding issue, perhaps?

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Probably a dumb question but where was your cell phone during all this fun?

Sounds like you've done extensive testing. 

Have you tried the speakers in another location?

I live in a multi-unit condo and I used to have the studio set up near a shared wall. There was substantial "mystery noise".

I moved the studio away from that wall and it's much quieter. Probably an entertainment center on the other side, I've been in that condo before and it's the perfect spot to put a gigantic TV.  Maybe something is radiating through your wall?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Phone was in the bedroom being charged.

I've tried two different locations.  My apartment, and my church, which are in the same building.  I want to leave them set up in the church, at the soundboard (a Behringer X32.)  In my apartment, it'd be whatever monitor is on the left side that would have the interferance.  In this case, it's whatever monitor is on the right side.  Either one will get very stactic-y.

Hang on...  I just had to answer a text, and the static got way worse.  So I'm betting it's either my phone, or quite possibly, my computer.  But the weird thing about it is, it's only happening on whatever monitor is on the right side.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

3 hours ago, justin_havu said:

Phone was in the bedroom being charged.

I've tried two different locations.  My apartment, and my church, which are in the same building.  I want to leave them set up in the church, at the soundboard (a Behringer X32.)  In my apartment, it'd be whatever monitor is on the left side that would have the interferance.  In this case, it's whatever monitor is on the right side.  Either one will get very stactic-y.

Hang on...  I just had to answer a text, and the static got way worse.  So I'm betting it's either my phone, or quite possibly, my computer.  But the weird thing about it is, it's only happening on whatever monitor is on the right side.

Depending on your layout, could that be the side that the power supply for the computer is located? Check where the power cord comes out. 

If the power supply isn't properly shielded it could toss out all sorts of "hum".  Consider finding a different place for your computer and see what happens.

I've also read elsewhere, after some googling, that other TR8 owners were getting RF interferance issues, mainly sounding like a faint radio station.  Probably tells me that the TR8's themselves aren't well shielded.

Anyhoo, I moved my computer about 6 feet away from the desk, and it's still happening.  Might be time for some new monitors, as soon as the budget allows for them.

Hardware

Software

3 hours ago, justin_havu said:

I've also read elsewhere, after some googling, that other TR8 owners were getting RF interferance issues, mainly sounding like a faint radio station.  Probably tells me that the TR8's themselves aren't well shielded.

Anyhoo, I moved my computer about 6 feet away from the desk, and it's still happening.  Might be time for some new monitors, as soon as the budget allows for them.

I have a pair of Yamaha MSP5 and a pair of Mackie HR824, neither of them like cell phones. I don't think they like video monitor screens either, try turning yours off or putting it farther away from the monitors and see if that changes things. 

Currently I'm using headphones only, just tracking right now. When it's time to mix, the monitors come back. 

I wish I had better answers, I suspect this is a common problem and not just for Event monitors. 

If you come up with something, please share it!!! Cheers, Kuru

• Like 1