Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Plugin Hoarders Anonymous

Hi I'm bill and I'm a plugin hoarder.

("Hi Bill!")

sigh. Anyone else? When I first discovered the wild wonderful world of plugins...and how many were free!...I was in trouble. I'm getting better but at my peak I was even starting to deal them on the streets. I would rather download new plugins than eat. It was only through intervention and circle time that I have regrouped. Yet the innerwebs beckon......

LOL!!!

Guilty as charged. I have WAY too many plugins and I've got lots of them that I've never used once.

I did get rid of a bunch of them a while back and I don't miss them. I've been working on other projects and haven't been at my recordings so much lately. 

You are right about free plugins, they can be tempting even if you don't use them for much. 

I might be getting over it, at least for mixing and mastering -  some plugins can do so many things that you don't really need a lot of them. Eventide's Physion 2 covers a LOT of ground, it's becoming a go-to for me since you can cleanly separate (and re-join) transients and tones and you can put different effects on either or both of them. The effects are good too, typical Eventide quality sounds. I think I could get by with just that, IK Stealth Limiter, the Apple High and Low pass filters and Eventide Micro Pitch + Split EQ.

That's 6 plugins, not too bad. Better than the well over 100 I have now!!!!! 

But then, there are all the various synth and sample plugins, like Sample Tank and Kontakt Player. I've got MODO Drum, Studio Drummer, West Africa, Drum Lab and that's just drums. Miroslav Philharmonik is nice, I like Fishman Triple Play since it allows me to use my guitar as a MIDI controller and I can blend up to 4 synth plugins at once with it. 

I'm just a "preset surfer" with the synths but mixing them together can create new sounds. If the ADSR envelopes are different then sustained notes will have lots of variation over time, that's fun and it's easy to choose a set of presets that allows that. I guess I'd probably want at least 20-30 of my sound generator plugins. 

Yikes!!!! Great thread topic, by the way. Maybe we can get something going here... 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't hoard as much as gradually see them pile up. I honestly don't want for much, but now I want to refine a few things, so here comes Cherry Audio's CS-80, shortly. Its easier to manage because just browsing my folders of LABS goodies or Elka-X patches often yields the goods, as opposed to trying to buy my way out of a creative knot. It also helps immensely that I'm not into modular. There's too much guesswork to that, even if it is great fun for a lot of players.

Most importantly, I know ME now, so I can easily draw a line between "Ooo, SHINY!" and "This tool will genuinely up my game." 

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

About two years ago I decided to go for the Slate All Access Pass thinking I wouldn't need to keep buying as many plug-ins. Hmmm... Not sure how well that worked! Cubase at least allows you to create custom plug-in views. I like introducing constraints. Perhaps my stable is full, or I too am getting better at recognizing things that will actually improve my work. I think.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

On 11/12/2022 at 1:55 AM, KuruPrionz said:

That's 6 plugins, not too bad. Better than the well over 100 I have now!!!!! 

That's it? You call yourself a hoarder??  :classic_wink:

Again the freebie appeal was strong not just because they were free, but I was still learning the diff kinds of effects and synths and what they do and how I could use, and there is the occasional plugin that I won't use much or think is so great, but there's one thing I like how it does it or a particular preset of a synth...

I have about 500 plugins or so. I'm not actively recording now so not using many except to tinker a little here and there or try out presets I haven't yet etc. When I get serious about it I will use a fair share though, as what I'll be recording will vary - some will be heavy synth songs, some more analog ish (like rock with some brass or sax or strings) and so on. Yeah lots I will probably never go back to, but it can't hurt to have and you never know, I might be looking for a new sound or whatever and revisit something to find it. Or find one I like and want to bump up against my current front-runners. 

25 minutes ago, bill5 said:

That's it? You call yourself a hoarder??  :classic_wink:

Again the freebie appeal was strong not just because they were free, but I was still learning the diff kinds of effects and synths and what they do and how I could use, and there is the occasional plugin that I won't use much or think is so great, but there's one thing I like how it does it or a particular preset of a synth...

I have about 500 plugins or so. I'm not actively recording now so not using many except to tinker a little here and there or try out presets I haven't yet etc. When I get serious about it I will use a fair share though, as what I'll be recording will vary - some will be heavy synth songs, some more analog ish (like rock with some brass or sax or strings) and so on. Yeah lots I will probably never go back to, but it can't hurt to have and you never know, I might be looking for a new sound or whatever and revisit something to find it. Or find one I like and want to bump up against my current front-runners. 

I had more but tossed a pile of them. 

When my condo is finally fixed and I can move back home I plan on deleting another pile. 

Bear in mind that some plugins are "compilers" and contain lots of plugins. SampleTank comes to mind, add in TracKs and NI Kontakt Player, and you have all sorts of stuff stored but I counted them as 3 total. This is to say nothing of Amplitube and GuitarRig, each amp in those is a plugin and they both are packed with stuff I will never even open, let alone use. 

It's a gigantic, confusing mess that I don't need or use for the most part. 

I *was* a hoarder...and I guess by virtue of the fact that I still have most of the ones I bought still installed, I still am.

What I'm not anymore is a binge buyer.  I'm not really tempted anymore just because something is a great deal...finally it sunk in that I really should *need* and *will use* something for it to be a purchase.

I'm not completely out of the woods though.  The Soniccouture bundle sale was too much to resist though I don't think I'm going to regret that one.   Mainly I need to start using the stuff I have before really thinking about buying more.   You know its bad when you see some "intimate strings" library on a super sale and you have to think "was that the one I bought last year?  Or a different one?" and the reason you aren't sure is that you've barely fired up the one you bought!  I hope to hell I haven't actually bought a plugin twice, I think I got close a couple times.

As far as freeware and magware--I've realized that I use a VERY small percentage of any of these.  Valhalla Supermassive might be the only one still standing (and it is great.)    

Another practical reason to avoid buying a ton of plugins--besides nickel and diming yourself into the poor house--is that if you ever need to do a serious upgrade it's that much more of a hassle.  I had this happen when going to Os Monterey on Mac, and if I ever get a newer silicon cpu might have to go through it again.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:55 PM, KuruPrionz said:

LOL!!!

Guilty as charged. I have WAY too many plugins and I've got lots of them that I've never used once.

I WAY resemble that remark. 😁

I have a few hundred as well...and I don't use more than 10-15% of them, honestly. :hider:

Most of my go-to ones are either in my Universal Audio or Plug-in Alliance folder.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I am almost as boggled by the idea of hundreds of plug-ins as I am by the hardware stacks some people possess. The best defense I have is listing the better patches that come with things as a text file. That makes it a lot more grab-&-go. Its also exactly why I'll apparently never take the Omnisphere leap. There's no debate about its superiority, but damn, its has what, 14,000 presets plus now? I've almost clicked Buy Now three times, but I felt as if I'd have to abandon the rest of my stack to halfway justify it.  

With effects plug-ins, I'm even more amazed. Many of them rival synths for internal complexity. I take up a new one only once I've begun to squirm for the lack of what it will do best.

Anyway, my Thanksgrabbing present to myself will be Cherry Audio's new CS-80. You won't see me for a week while I tweedle that. :drool:

20 hours ago, David Emm said:

I'll apparently never take the Omnisphere leap. There's no debate about its superiority, but damn, its has what, 14,000 presets plus now?

That (and the high cost) are why I never will. IMO offering such a ridiculous number of presets is a stroke against it, not a plus. What's the point of giving so many presets, most of which I'll never hear...and I suspect most which won't do anything for me anyway? I don't need more time-wasters. IMO no synth should come with more than about 100 presets if that. 

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

That (and the high cost) are why I never will. IMO offering such a ridiculous number of presets is a stroke against it, not a plus. What's the point of giving so many presets, most of which I'll never hear...and I suspect most which won't do anything for me anyway? I don't need more time-wasters. IMO no synth should come with more than about 100 presets if that. 

Yeah, you have to wonder who programmed all those presets?

Did they just get bots to make small adjustments and save stuff until there was an overwhelming and absurd quantity of "different" sounds?

14,000 presets divided by 60 (the number of minutes in an hour) is 233.33333. If you listened to every preset for one minute it would take you 9.72 days, without sleeping or eating or pretty much anything else. Realistically, if you were diligent and determined it would be a solid, exhausting 2-3 weeks of cranking out presets.

And, you would forget most of them instantly as new ones barraged your tiny brain! 😃

I wouldn't want it if it was free. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Paul Vnuk Jr. said:

Hello my name is Paul and I have a plugin addiction.

But like many of you, I ultimately end up reaching for the same 5-7 in most mixes...yet I am the first one to grab new ones when they are released and stuff my plugin folder full.

I find myself slowly transitioning to some newer plugins that have features I find useful or improved sound quality. Eventide Physion 2 and Split EQ both allow separate treatment for transients and tones and they do it while sounding fantastic. 

Some of the newer guitar amp sims sound better to me than the older ones, I like that. 

The reality is that more and more I use less and less. I need to go on a rampage and clear out some lovely bits that just sit there. 

Instead, today I bought Eventide Crystals, which looks interesting but I haven't used it yet. I've had good experiences with Eventide and their partner New Fangled Audio, they both make good sounding plugins. 

3 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Eventide Physion 2 and Split EQ both allow separate treatment for transients and tones and they do it while sounding fantastic. 

I have to admit - the Spilt EQ looks way too cool and useful to live without.  I’ve managed to avoid it so far, but I know I’ll own it sometime soon.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

3 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

I have to admit - the Spilt EQ looks way too cool and useful to live without.  I’ve managed to avoid it so far, but I know I’ll own it sometime soon.

dB

Download the trial version and put it on a couple of things. You will want it!!! 

Snare drums (real or software) and acoustic guitars (real) can be transformed or simply tweaked until they have the perfect blend. 

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

I sat through a demo of it during a Tech Breakfast meeting a few months back.  I already want it. :rocker:

dB

I'll put it this way, if I had to toss out all my plugins except 5, Split EQ would stay. 

It might stay if I could only keep one, but I'd have to do some comparisons first.

• Wow! 1

Since I can have ALL the plugins and ultimately am on a journey to finding the ones that can be multi-purpose as a way of reducing clutter in the DAW and clutter in my plugin folder, yesterday I bought Eventide Chrystals on sale for $29. Between that and Eventide Physion it looks like I have multi-effects covered with just 2 plugs. 

I'll know more soon but I'm hoping that a buttload of reverbs, delays, pitch shifters and to a certain extent EQs (keeping Split EQ!) can just go away. 

I'm proud of myself. I resisted downloading Full Bucket's Korg Trident surrogate, Tricent. Tempting, but with Alchemy, Memorymode, Polymode, GX-80, a double handful of E-mu Soundfonts and samples from 3 Korg workstations, I finally said "NAH" pretty firmly. :keys:

I try to use as many plug-ins as possible from the selection bundled with a DAW, so that any file is collaboration-friendly. Then I'll pick and choose from other, more specialized plug-ins. If collaborating, I'll render those as audio in case the other person doesn't have them.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 5:53 PM, Paul Vnuk Jr. said:

Hello my name is Paul and I have a plugin addiction.

HI PAUL! Pull up a chair and grab a beer, this aint AA.  :)  

After being a kid in a candy store initially esp with freebies, I've finally (mostly) stopped downloading/buying and started winnowing the herd. And since I'm mostly "in the box" I don't need nearly as much as many others with effects...I'm more about VIs. 

And my "new plugins to check out" folder only has about 75 in there now (mostly effects which I could probably toss)! Time was it was double that or more.

The question I always ask myself is "Would someone listening to this notice any difference if I replaced this plug-in with a different one?" Although many times the answer is "no," there are some unique plug-ins that I rely to produce specific sounds that other plug-ins can't do.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Anderton said:

The question I always ask myself is "Would someone listening to this notice any difference if I replaced this plug-in with a different one?" Although many times the answer is "no," there are some unique plug-ins that I rely to produce specific sounds that other plug-ins can't do.

True!

For me, Eventide Split EQ and Physion 2 both do things that a probably only very few other plugins can do but I have theirs and I like them.

Being able to cleanly separate transients and tones, modify them and rejoin them seamlessly is a good trick.