Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your single most incredible musical experience

Originally posted by Lee Tyler:

Playing 1st French Horn at the age of 14 on the stage at Carnegie Hall, in the annual NYC Borough-Wide Music program concert. That was an incredible experience. ---Lee

I was thrilled to see that my local high school orchestra just played Carnegie Hall! Man, that would be something. Really would be something!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by stranger:

Originally posted by where02190:

It was the summer of 85...

This does help. One of the coolest stories I ever heard. :thu:
the 4+yrs I spent working with Miles, which I was fortunate to ahve happen very early in my career, were indeed the most influential and educational of my life. Nothing has topped working for the Prince of Cool, and I doubt anything ever will.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

It was the summer of 85, and I was on yet another adventurous tour with Miles Davis, the Prince of Cool. (I spent 4 1/2 yrs as his production manager and monitor engineer)

The stop was Seville, Spain, on a hot, dry dusty day, where you could hold your hand infront of your face and blow as hard as you can, and not feel the breeze.

The venue, as many are in Spain in the summer, was a bullring. and the smell of life and death hung heavy in the air as we sweat our way through the day, setting up the massive rig for the sold out show..

as is typical with summer festivals in latin countries, we didn't go on unitl well into the everning. the moon was full, and whispy clouds would from time to time obscure it, creating the errie feeling of a b rated horor flick.

Miles dressing room was the chapel where the matadors went to pray before they went into battle. the sense of another pressense was heavy in there, as if you could almost hear the voices of the dead calling....

Into the evening, there was little relief from the heat. During the Ballad "Jeanne Pierre", about 2 hours into our typical 3 1/2 hour show, I'm confering with our stage manager, when we notice these little whimsical whisps of air swirling around Miles in the low lights of his silloette, as if dancing with him in some crazed waltz. as we wtched, his muted trumpet enveloping inot the depths of that place only Miles could go, these mcro twisters continued to dance around him, as if posessed by his calling. the local promoter approaches us, and whispers over our shoulders, ("Miles congers up the spirits fo those who have been sacrificed here, they dance for him".

It was one of those moments where every hair on your body stands on end, and time stops. As Miles continued his musical congering, the audience and the band became aware fo the spiritual moment we were experiencing as well. this went on for several minutes, until, in one mighty blow, Miles removes the mute, signaling the end of the tune. the sounds shatters the stillness, and the ghosts are summoned back to their afterworld, gone as quickly as they appeared.

Just writing about this brings back that chill up my spine of Miles dance with the spirits. It ws indeed, magical.

Thats a beautiful story. The best thing I have ever read on any forum. Thanks for sharing that.

Peace,

Ernest

Originally posted by Programgirl:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Which? The alia before the Torah or the Sh'ma? And is that really a bad thing, Programgirl? :D

All of the above with an Ayn Kelohanu thrown in. And no it's not bad, it's nice to remember my Evrit every so often :)
Care to say how long ago you first read your Evrit? Mine was sufficiently long ago I don't remember the proper melody. :freak:

Ayn Kelohanu.. :) Love that one!

Lee - That's amazing! The closest I've come to playing on such a venerated stage was at The Grand Ole Opry and the Ryman Auditorium. (Former home of the Grand Ole Opry.) But it wasn't a performance, alas... Just me taking a moment while setting up for onstage parties when no one else was around. I can't imagine how special playing at Carnegie must have been for you. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Programgirl - Check your private messages. (If you're unfamiliar, just click "my profile" and it will display your private messages. With a name like Programgirl, I highly doubt you didn't already know this, but I hate sending private messages only to have a relative newbie say, "I didn't even realize I had a private message!" ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived