Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The chip shortage. What has it effected most, your brand loyalty or your dealer loyalty?

Started thinking about this today as I waited for a package from Vintage King Audio, a store I had never purchased from before. My regular dealer is out of the item I purchased and I was not willing to buy an alternative from another brand, or wait who knows how long. My first thought is that I am getting stubborn in my old age and not willing to buy anything but the one item I want. Upon further thought I think what has happened for me is that over the past two years I have purchased the items that I am willing to substitute. Now I am left with items that are very specifically what I want, no substitutions. I'll look anywhere. Buy from anyone with a good rating.

So in short, at first it affected my brand loyalty. Now it affects my dealer loyalty.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm the wrong guy to ask...when I want something specific, I want something specific. Then again, I don't buy much hardware. Software is my main thing these days. I'm just happy I got my computer before all hell broke loose in ChipWorld.

• Like 1

Neither.

I've been buying used for a long time. Either local craigslist or thrift store, where I can try the item in question out, or from somebody with a ton of great feedback on eBay. 

One exception, quite a while ago I bought a Mac Mini M1 with 16gb ram and a 512gb hard drive from Apple Refurbished. It came with a solid warranty from a solid seller and I've had zero problems with it. 

I have no brand loyalty or dealer loyalty. I know a great foot surgeon who I trust but I only have 2 feet and only one of them needed surgery. So it goes...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Much the same as the posts immediately above - I buy a lot of used gear, and my FLMS carries pretty much any new product I might be looking for.

The only hold-up on my very short GAS list is the Behringer Proton. (Yeah, I know . . .) I already have the Neutron, and thought it would be fun to pair them for an affordable, if not stellar, Modular rig.

IDK if there's any kind of "hierarchy of need" for chip distribution: does a manufacturer of medical equipment get first pick, over a company making music gear or gaming systems, if they both need the same kind of chips? If so, I can wait . . .

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

9 hours ago, analogika said:

I don't blame manufacturers for circumstances beyond their control

Does anyone? I don't blame Intellijel for not getting the chips needed to manufacture their Rainmaker Eurorack delay, but after two years of waiting I have to decide between buying something different, or seeking another source.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

On 11/8/2022 at 1:59 PM, Winston Psmith said:

The only hold-up on my very short GAS list is the Behringer Proton. (Yeah, I know . . .) I already have the Neutron, and thought it would be fun to pair them for an affordable, if not stellar, Modular rig.

First time I’m hearing of this very cool product. Thank you! 😎 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tusker said:

First time I’m hearing of this very cool product. Thank you! 😎 

I've long been interested in Modular, but the cost of assembling a Modular rig always held me back. The Neutron was more than affordable, by comparison, and the Proton, if it ever materializes, seems like it would be an excellent companion piece. Not complaining, but not holding my breath, either . . .

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Chips are holding up the replacement of my CPAP machine.  I was eligible for a new one over a year ago.  I want a specific model and they are gone just about as soon as the suppliers receive them.  🙁

I'm sure the investment is stout, but I keep waiting to hear that a domestic company has taken up chip manufacturing. The whole thing has been overseas for too long, so here we are. It'll be interesting to see such a place start prioritizing. I'm sure CPAPs and various cars will come first, but eventually, they'll come to a point where a few thousand of chip X will get a run and the music end of it will start creaking back to life. The Raspberry Pi may become more of a player, since its a proven platform. Its far cheaper to teach that to be your synth than it is to run a proprietary, synth-specific batch of custom CPUs.

Hey, look, I almost said Science stuff. :puff: 

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

A bandmate went to turn in his leased Cadillac SUV for a new one and they couldn't get it because of a chip shortage. He switched to a Lincoln Aviator which he likes much better.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

On 11/11/2022 at 2:46 AM, David Emm said:

I'm sure the investment is stout, but I keep waiting to hear that a domestic company has taken up chip manufacturing. The whole thing has been overseas for too long, so here we are. It'll be interesting to see such a place start prioritizing. I'm sure CPAPs and various cars will come first, but eventually, they'll come to a point where a few thousand of chip X will get a run and the music end of it will start creaking back to life. The Raspberry Pi may become more of a player, since its a proven platform. Its far cheaper to teach that to be your synth than it is to run a proprietary, synth-specific batch of custom CPUs.

Hey, look, I almost said Science stuff. :puff: 

How many synths actually run synth-specific custom CPUs? 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

It hasn't affected my brand or dealer loyalty. I have my go-to places/brands if it's certain things. If they don't have it or it's not available, then I start shopping around elsewhere.