Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: So...where are you?

bill5

For the last 28 years I've lived in Port Charlotte, FL (only had direct hits from 2 Cat4 hurricanes so far; other than that it's been just peachy keen :laugh:).

Born, and my 1st 12 years in Kirkwood MO. After that Puerto Rico, Salt Lake City Utah, Northfield Minnesota, Spain, Italy, Elba, Minneapolis, Malibu, Door County Wisconsin, Boston and various Naval bases. Traveled to at least 30 countries and 48 states.

Places I keep returning to:

Santa Fe, NM

New Orleans, LA

San Diego, Ca

Florence, IT

Places I plan to return to:

Salamanca,ES

Aukland, Wellington & Christchurch, NZ

Sydney & Melbourne, AUS

Hamilton, Bermuda

I'm in Carpi (Modena). Emilia-Romagna / Bologna region. Italy.

Just to help you locate my small (70000 people) town: we are in the Italian "motor valley": within 25km we have Ferrari factory, Lamborghini, Maserati.

Here in Modena born, raised and lived the tenor Luciano Pavarotti.

• Like 2

My band: www.tupamaros.it
Our music:

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro | Roland VR-09 

Chicago suburbs for the last 21 years.

In the past, I've lived in Cleveland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York.

Next move will likely be to Tucson, for family reasons.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Have lived in Sao Paulo and neighboring cities for the past 18 years. 

Born and raised until my teens in Rio. 

Lived in Spain, Germany and US in between.  

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Upstate NY, Rochester area.   Western NY has a good music scene despite what people say.  I’m lucky that I play all over the state except the Metro NYC area but generally I get good work.  The issue between Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse and Rochester is there isn’t as many clubs or festivals to play.  Buffalo edges out the rest as there is more to do.  It’s basically because It’s a larger city. Rochester has the Lilac, Jazz, and a few other festivals which makes it a good place to play.  The Finger Lakes have breweries and wineries but not all of them have a budget for music. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

America's junk, central area.

My youngest kid is out of high school in less than two years and I've got my eye on a couple spots up North.  I don't really want to live as a snowbird, I like settling in.

Honestly my band would be the main thing I'd miss here (I've lived here almost my whole life) and it's a big factor in wanting to move or not.  We own a few properties here and my wife has a business here so that's also a challenge.

I will NOT miss the weather.  It's November and the AC is still on set in the mid 70s.  Screw this, and it's only going to get worse.  That, and insurance prices are going through the roof (no pun intended).

Caveat:  as long as I can work at home, as I am now, I can deal with ice and snow.  If I had to scrape off the car and commute every day, well now that's another story :)  I have no intention of ever working regularly in an office again, I've had two years WFH and won't give it up willingly!

42 minutes ago, Stokely said:

America's junk, central area.

My youngest kid is out of high school in less than two years and I've got my eye on a couple spots up North.  I don't really want to live as a snowbird, I like settling in.

Honestly my band would be the main thing I'd miss here (I've lived here almost my whole life) and it's a big factor in wanting to move or not.  We own a few properties here and my wife has a business here so that's also a challenge.

I will NOT miss the weather.  It's November and the AC is still on set in the mid 70s.  Screw this, and it's only going to get worse.  That, and insurance prices are going through the roof (no pun intended).

Caveat:  as long as I can work at home, as I am now, I can deal with ice and snow.  If I had to scrape off the car and commute every day, well now that's another story :)  I have no intention of ever working regularly in an office again, I've had two years WFH and won't give it up willingly!

Where up North.  Winters aren't quite as bad as they used to be,

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Haven't decided yet.  I'm just tired of Florida for various reasons, say no more.  The weather is the safe topic :) 

I love Maine from my visits, same with New Hampshire.  My wife is more of a big city person and would love to live near Boston.  Heck she'd like to live in NYC, I'm too much of a Suburban person to thrive there (though I've loved my visits).

No doubt, weather is going to continue to change in the years ahead.  That said, even less cold could mean more severe storms.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stokely said:

Haven't decided yet.  I'm just tired of Florida for various reasons, say no more.  The weather is the safe topic :) 

I love Maine from my visits, same with New Hampshire.  My wife is more of a big city person and would love to live near Boston.  Heck she'd like to live in NYC, I'm too much of a Suburban person to thrive there (though I've loved my visits).

No doubt, weather is going to continue to change in the years ahead.  That said, even less cold could mean more severe storms.

New England is nice. It's about 6 hours from me but it's beautiful country up there.   I am sure you would like to where there is a good music scene.

noblevibes.com

Lifelong Jersey guy. The first 60 years in Clifton, ever since in Rockaway Township, about 2 miles west of Vintage Vibe.

• Like 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

11 hours ago, Cliffk said:

West London, UK - been here for over 25 years. Always dreamt of retiring in a small beach town on the Californian coast (like Avila Beach), but my wife looks like dragging me the opposite way (central Europe) in the next few years. 😄

Retiring to California? Now that's ambitious. Most folks leave California to retire. 

• Like 1

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I'm bucking the trend also, (wanting to) leave Florida to retire :)  My friend's parents did the same, moved to Maine--no state tax there either iirc, which might be why it's #1 or 2 on retiree percentage of population last I checked.  

5 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I'm bucking the trend also, (wanting to) leave Florida to retire :)  My friend's parents did the same, moved to Maine--no state tax there either iirc, which might be why it's #1 or 2 on retiree percentage of population last I checked.  

Washington State has no state income tax, and Oregon has no sales tax. Some folks choose Vancouver WA, which is supported by the public transit system in Portland OR. 

Live in WA and buy in OR. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'm a lifelong San Francisco Bay Area native, and plan to remain here for the rest of my life. 

My family is all here, my roots are here, my career is here. Having traveled a bit over the years (business and pleasure), I am more grateful for the good parts of Cali and the Bay Area than I ever have been. And mindful we have lots of reasons for concern as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Washington State has no state income tax, and Oregon has no sales tax. Some folks choose Vancouver WA, which is supported by the public transit system in Portland OR. 

Live in WA and buy in OR. 

Those used to be top of my wishlist.   Had a brother who lived in Seattle and a friend currently near Portland, and my enthusiasm was tempered somewhat after getting their feedback.  I'd still pick either over most states, but right now I'm targeting the NE area.  We'll see :)  Personally, income tax isn't that big of a factor.  I think it's very possible you get what you pay for to some degree.  And there are other costs--Fl has the highest homeowners insurance rates, and that's if you can even still get it.  I know people on the coast who simply don't have it anymore.

What really makes people look at me like I'm bananas is mentioning that Minnesota is a possible destination.  :D   I'm telling you I really hate the heat here despite 50+ years of supposedly getting used to it!  My dad grew up in MN so there's some attachment "in the blood" I guess.  And a lifelong suffering Vikings fan, thanks dad....

I currently live in Las Vegas, NV.

I'm originally from the Ozarks near Rolla Mo., a couple of hours SW of St. Louis .  After college in Rolla, I moved to New Orleans from 1982 - 1989.  I then moved to Houston TX for 2 years until 1991, and then on to The Hague, Netherlands until 1997.   I then moved back to Houston until 2010 when I bought a cheap foreclosure home in Vegas and moved there where I still reside.   

I'm now a retired oil industry geologist and crappy weekend warrior musician.   When I'm not trying to generate musical noises, I enjoy my family and play with rocks around the southern NV region.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

3 hours ago, Stokely said:

Those used to be top of my wishlist.   Had a brother who lived in Seattle and a friend currently near Portland, and my enthusiasm was tempered somewhat after getting their feedback.  I'd still pick either over most states, but right now I'm targeting the NE area.  We'll see :)  Personally, income tax isn't that big of a factor.  I think it's very possible you get what you pay for to some degree.  And there are other costs--Fl has the highest homeowners insurance rates, and that's if you can even still get it.  I know people on the coast who simply don't have it anymore.

What really makes people look at me like I'm bananas is mentioning that Minnesota is a possible destination.  :D   I'm telling you I really hate the heat here despite 50+ years of supposedly getting used to it!  My dad grew up in MN so there's some attachment "in the blood" I guess.  And a lifelong suffering Vikings fan, thanks dad....

It gets dark and wet here in the winter and the summers have gotten a bit warmer but living on the coast has it's perks. That would be true in Maine as well but it gets much colder there in the winter. But... seafood... mmmm...

I have family on Dad's side in Minnesota. Humid summers, mosquitoes the size of sparrows, sub-sub-zero temps in winter. Fall is gorgeous and "Ho Golly, the people are nice eh?" 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 11/1/2022 at 4:22 PM, Stokely said:

If I ever decide to move from Connecticut, the coast of Maine would be my choice, probably Camden or Rockport.  I also love Acadia and Bar Harbor, but better just to vacation there.

Yeah the coast is amazing, but as you can imagine the real estate gets more pricey.  I live vicariously by browsing Zillow and Realtor.com for places in various parts of the country, and if I find a cool house I get on google maps and cruise the area in street view to kind of see what it would be like to live there :)  Hey, beats tv and almost anything on Netflix :D 

I have a notion to take a working vacation up there to some random town in the wintertime to get a "worst case" feel for it.  As long as I have internet I can work.  I could take an actual family vacation but then you get the pressure of packing in sights and experiences every minute, and you have to give the young'uns something to do.  I'm sure I'll freeze my ass off but I'm boiling my ****s off 10 months of the year here.