Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: So...where are you?

bill5

Born in a state that I hate.   Thankfully grew up in Los Angeles around the music business.    Then lived all over California North, Central, and SoCal.   In between those jumps to different parts of California I lived in Boston.   Now back in SoCal, I would like to move but age and the INSANE rents in the place I would like I'm content with staying where I am. 

Corvallis, OR, 80 miles south of Portland, 40 miles north of Eugene, in the middle of the Willamette Valley. Home of Oregon State University, of which I am a graduate, and had a surprisingly creative music program for a tech/business/farm-oriented University. It's a great community, close to the major cities (Salem is about 30 miles N.), an hour from the beach, forests mountains a short drive away. Great craft beer and coffee, some good restaurants, etc.

• Like 2

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

McCall, Idaho, moved here in June 1998.  We are home of the McCall Winter Carnival, Manchester Ice Arena, Payette National Forest, Payette Lake and our legendary monster, Sharlie (cousin to Nessie).  We are 100 miles north of Boise in the West Central Mountains.  Not unusual to have ten feet of snow accumulation over the winter.  Husband passed in January 2021 and even though the old house on our acreage is falling apart, I plan to stay here as long as possible though at 65 years old, there is going to come that time when I will need to live where I can get assistance since I do not drive and depend on the one taxi that covers the entire county or two neighbors to drive me or pick up stuff for me.  I am a happy hermit and my entire social life is on line.

First of all, where I've been. Born at Ft. Lewis, Washington. Grew up in Salem, Oregon for twenty years. Lived in Orange County and Lake Arrowhead, California for twenty years. Moved to New Jersey in 1992 when the California live music scene took a downturn. Lived in Stony Point, New York for several months and then moved back to New Jersey. Now approaching 71 I am on the verge of moving to Hilton Head, South Carolina in December. Have several NJ/NY friends who have moved there and more people I know are looking to relocate there.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

23 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

McCall, Idaho, moved here in June 1998. 

I love McCall! I grew up in far-eastern OR, and my parents had friends in McCall, we would visit several times a year. The Winter festival with the snow/ice sculptures were amazing. Also, I remember playing a Jam Band festival there several years in a row around 2005-2010. Treefort maybe?

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Lots of representation from North and South Carolina here.  I'm in Charlotte!

(after 20 years in Pittsburgh, I moved here in 2015)

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

37 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

We came very close to this place, close to the trails, but concerns about fires made us both a bit paranoid.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1126-Wildwood-Ave-Thousand-Oaks-CA-91360/16429343_zpid/?

Been in this area for over 20 years.  Fires were only an issue once for us, luckily (Nov 2018).  We had to evacuate for a few days, but nothing in our neighborhood was harmed.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I'm a hillbilly from southeast Kentucky. Back in the 80's when I moved to the city (Louisville) to be a full time working musician I was a real enigma. The naive hillbilly with the heavy accent driving a pickup truck. And also the hillbilly with the biggest synthesizer setup in the state who was classically trained on piano and later went to Speed Scientific for engineering. At the time Speed was considered to be one of the top 10 engineering schools in the nation.

Now I am back to living within 30 miles of my birthplace, around 70 miles south of Lexington, KY.

• Like 2

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I’m in Broomfield, Colorado now. It’s about 20 minutes north of Denver and 20 minutes south of Boulder. My daughter had a baby boy two weeks ago and my wife and I are happy that we can be here for a month. Mom, dad, and baby are all doing well. 

For most of the year I live in Center Moriches, NY which is on Long Island. During the winter we live in Cocoa Beach, Florida for a few months doing the snowbird thing. 

I'm in Iowa.  But anyone who'd be interested in the details:

Early Years, Raised and Educated in Eastern to Central Iowa (0-31): 

- Pop bands (HS-College)

- PhD in EE 

- Satisfying Blues and Jazz Fusion scene.

- Post Doc ending turns into reality (i.e. "Get a Job")

Ward Cleaver Years (31-49)  San Jose:

- Corporate research job in SF Bay Area leading to management/ director.

- Hiatus from music (not possible with 70 hr weeks and travel)

- Heart attack scare, causes re-prioritization

Transition years (49- current):

- Relocate back to Central Iowa.  Still have corporate gig in research. WFH.

- Transitioned back into music.   Church, Gospel,  Accompanist.

- Focusing on reharm projects for possible recording and local performance outlets.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

3 hours ago, NewImprov said:

I love McCall! I grew up in far-eastern OR, and my parents had friends in McCall, we would visit several times a year. The Winter festival with the snow/ice sculptures were amazing. Also, I remember playing a Jam Band festival there several years in a row around 2005-2010. Treefort maybe?

Yes, Treefort.  KTVB Channel 7 in Boise does news coverage of the Treefort festival.  They promote indie bands which is a great help to them to get a kick start to their success.

Let me know if you ever plan to visit again.  I am located off of Highway 55 just north of Lake Fork.

• Like 1

Born and raised in The Netherlands. Lived in Indonesia for a year, Kenya for five years, and now already eleven years in SoCal.

• Like 1

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

With only two 6-month exceptions, lived my entire 63 years within a 15-mile radius of where I was born -- in San Bernardino, Southern California.  Bottom of Route 66.

Currently, in Highland, CA.  Comfortable home; bedroom community; no mortgage; church family.  Yah, HOT in the summer months, but that's what pools are for. :thu:  And we, uh, won't discuss the lamentable state of the political and social State.  But this is home; I'll be here until I (or my wife) are called up yonder.

Kurzweil PC4-7, Studiologic Numa X 73

You all know my sig says I'm in Victoria BC, on Vancouver Island (not to be confused with the city of Vancouver which is on the mainland). Originally I'm from Saskatoon, a small prairie city that's grown to about 270,000. I moved to Vancouver in 2007 to catch the last few years of the music boom that began in the '80s. Relocated to Victoria (metro area about 400,000) in 2016 and love the quiter island life compared to the lower mainland but although Vancouver Island is a massive piece of land, the population on the southern part, where we are, is exploding, so we're seriously considering another move to a smaller city north of here. We've been able to buy low and sell high for the last 15 years but in this economy, we'll need to wait a bit. And I turned 70 this year, so we'll see.

Here for the gear.

5 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

First of all, where I've been. Born at Ft. Lewis, Washington. Grew up in Salem, Oregon for twenty years. Lived in Orange County and Lake Arrowhead, California for twenty years. Moved to New Jersey in 1992 when the California live music scene took a downturn. Lived in Stony Point, New York for several months and then moved back to New Jersey. Now approaching 71 I am on the verge of moving to Hilton Head, South Carolina in December. Have several NJ/NY friends who have moved there and more people I know are looking to relocate there.

Oh, I grew up in Garnerville, NY right next to Stony Point.  For the last 25+ years been in Tuxedo and now Suffern, NY right next to the NJ border.  A lot of people heading down south to retire.  I have friends who've left for Hilton Head area, Charleston and of course Florida.  Probably looking at Florida when its time to hang it up or maybe Southeast Asia or maybe a bit of both.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack