Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New in Photoshop: Photo restoration made easy

New in Photoshop: Photo restoration made easy

Photoshop has a new Photo Restoration function that is easy to use. You may use their AI-trained filter to help restore old or damaged photographs.

#photofocus #photoshop #photorestoration #restoration #prints 

https://photofocus.com/software/adobe/new-in-photoshop-photo-restoration-made-easy/

spacer.png

I find this AI evolution interesting. 

Restoring damaged photo prints and slides could be an income stream for those who are so inclined. 

This could also extend the life of a digital camera that has some dead pixels in the sensor. 

It will improve as time goes on, this much is certain. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't know where it's gonna go with this. It used to take someone with some pretty good Photoshop skills to do photo restoration like this. And while that is still gonna be better than AI taking a "guess" at what it should be like, for a lot of people, that's going to be "good enough". 

I think there's a lot of applications here since, as you point out, it can correct for some JPG artifact damage and other digital damage. 

And remember, as good as this works...this is Photoshop BETA. Cannot wait to see what comes down the pipe!!

5 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

I don't know where it's gonna go with this. It used to take someone with some pretty good Photoshop skills to do photo restoration like this. And while that is still gonna be better than AI taking a "guess" at what it should be like, for a lot of people, that's going to be "good enough". 

I think there's a lot of applications here since, as you point out, it can correct for some JPG artifact damage and other digital damage. 

And remember, as good as this works...this is Photoshop BETA. Cannot wait to see what comes down the pipe!!

It's another selling point for Adobe, that much is certain. 

I've done some photo touchup work, both pre and post Photoshop. It's painting either way but Photoshop offers an easy reversal of any mistakes. 

We never touched up the original in the old days, at least not where I worked. We made a print and touched that up. Then if you hosed it you could just start over. 

I hated it, either way. If I could click a button with the mouse and "Bam" it's pretty much done, I'd at least try it first every time. 

Yeah. You would click the button and probably get decent results initially. Then toggle the sliders a bit or tweak a couple of things if something is too much, too little, or whatever. You'd most likely have something pretty good in very little time. 

Photoshop unfortunately has that subscription fee now. I wrestled with using that for a while, ultimately deciding that it would be foolish to jump to something else when I had built such a rapport with it. I don't have a subscription to Pro Tools, however, opting instead to use an ancient computer to run Pro Tools 10.3. It works beautifully, so I am rather happy with the whole arrangement.

10 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Yeah. You would click the button and probably get decent results initially. Then toggle the sliders a bit or tweak a couple of things if something is too much, too little, or whatever. You'd most likely have something pretty good in very little time. 

Photoshop unfortunately has that subscription fee now. I wrestled with using that for a while, ultimately deciding that it would be foolish to jump to something else when I had built such a rapport with it. I don't have a subscription to Pro Tools, however, opting instead to use an ancient computer to run Pro Tools 10.3. It works beautifully, so I am rather happy with the whole arrangement.

I used Photoshop for decades but switched to Elements since I am now a hobbyist photographer with maybe 4 to 6 sessions a year and Elements can easily do the things I need done, including composites like the one I attached. That is the same model peeping through the window and sitting in the chair (I also made her into a ghost for this image). Tripods, I like them!!!! 😇

Ghost Peeper.jpeg

Ha! That's great!!

Elements is very capable, so there's often no reason to have the subscription.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Ha! That's great!!

Elements is very capable, so there's often no reason to have the subscription.

Thanks for the kudos. 

The "Select Subject" command in the Select menu in Elements is staggeringly good. I clicked once on the model in the chair and I had to add or subtract to the selection in a couple of places but not much and it went quickly. Then I just pasted her into the image with the same model peeping in the window and reduced the opacity. 

Elements made it simple, the last version of Photoshop I owned was CS2 and things have come a LONG ways since then!!!! 

Makes it more FUN!

I've been experimenting with the Object Selection tool, discovering that even if it doesn't initially grab the whole object, you can effectively use it to identify things such as archways (via subtraction or addition) or part of objects and so forth. This is rather useful, and I have been using this more as of late if a subject selection doesn't work right away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

I've been experimenting with the Object Selection tool, discovering that even if it doesn't initially grab the whole object, you can effectively use it to identify things such as archways (via subtraction or addition) or part of objects and so forth. This is rather useful, and I have been using this more as of late if a subject selection doesn't work right away.

Nice, Elements only has Subject Select as far as I know and it chooses who the subject is. 

With Object Selection do you get to choose the object? That would be a major difference and a huge benefit!

With Object Selection, what you do is color in the approximate outline of the shape or object that you want, and then Photoshop does its best to determine what that is exactly and more precisely nail it. Most of the time, if it's very obvious, you can be very sloppy and loosely color in or draw the line around or whatever and it'll get it. If it's complex, it still seems to struggle and guess the wrong parts or only get part of it correct. But it's still a time-saver.

10 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

With Object Selection, what you do is color in the approximate outline of the shape or object that you want, and then Photoshop does its best to determine what that is exactly and more precisely nail it. Most of the time, if it's very obvious, you can be very sloppy and loosely color in or draw the line around or whatever and it'll get it. If it's complex, it still seems to struggle and guess the wrong parts or only get part of it correct. But it's still a time-saver.

I get the concept of providing some definition for AI to grasp Object Selection. Yes, any time we can get something to turn out well with a few clicks, that is time saved to do more important things (like post here!!! 😃).

I was amazed that the one time I used Select Subject, it just went to the model right off the bat and there were only a few spots that I needed to tweak to get the job done to my satisfaction. Hair is always impossible to select perfectly so I don't worry about it so much. 

I think what it does with hair, though, is that it feathers the mask. While it's not a perfect fit by any stretch, it works surprisingly well.

What does NOT work very well are when it attempts to mask Joshua Trees. 

You can sort of get around this by using the Subtract Mode and select Color so that it eliminates the color that is in the sky from the mask. This becomes harder if it is partially cloudy, of course, since there's great variance in the color of the sky.

• Like 1