Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Multiple levels of insanity (aka music social media)

I hope that at least the ORIGINAL original poster was joking, but I can’t be sure. What is some of the most ridiculous things you’ve read in groups that are presented seriously as expert advice?

60F1794A-E1BC-44A7-9810-3B83DE23CAE8.jpeg

• Haha 3

"For instance" is not proof.

5 hours ago, RABid said:

The stupidest comment I ever read was on KVR years ago. In a thread about lessons and music theory.

"I don't study music theory or dead people's music because I don't want it to taint my own creativity."

And yet tain't his creativity anyway, unless he invented a musical instrument that is different from everything else and invented a new kind of music that nobody has ever played before. If you are a musician and you've heard "dead people's music", you've studied it. And, what about genre's? Can you play something that is not a genre of one sort or another and if you did would anybody call that music or just think it's a hot mess? 😃

That's a good one for sure!!!!

The HDD vs SSD blatherspew is hilarious. 1's and 0's are just that and nothing else. If every single thing in the signal path other than the computers was completely identical then it could be that one time he got the "good weed" and the other time it was "stems and seeds". Or something. A circuit in one chip on one computer going south? In any case, the only way to establish his "facts" would be to use waveform analysis of dozens (if not hundreds) of samples from both HDD and SDD mounted in the same carefully vetted computer and running through all the same carefully vetted gear, then compare those waveforms. Otherwise it's just the opinion of an idiot. 😇

I still hear people go on and on about how a certain type of guitar string sounds amazing compared to all other strings. There are not that many manufacturers of the wire used for the core or the wraps for any one brand of string to be much different than the other. So it's not the materials. I could see the wraps being done differently but I doubt the difference is that noticeable. In the end, once you've played them for a bit they all sound more or less the same to me. I was a guitar tech for decades, I've changed a LOT of strings and tried just about every different one myself. Flatwounds, groundwounds, roundwounds, nickel wraps vs stainless steel? Yes there are differences, flat wound with nickel does sound different than round wound with stainless. Big whoop, get one or the other and play your guitar. Nobody else will care anyway. 

Or, as was once said in a review of a Moby Grape tribute album that a project band I was in got a piece we submitted onto the album (Mo Grape)... "And Las Vegas On Mars must have taken the brown acid."

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

If I watch YouTube for five minutes, I'll be able to report back with a whole bunch of immensely dumb stuff. As to HDD vs. SSD...maybe the sound of an HD spinning in the background is kind of like the soothing white noise you get at the dentist's office. The music just doesn't sound "right" without that background noise. It's like how beta testers dissed some Waves plug-ins as not authentic emulations, until Waves added an option to introduce hiss and hum. To the people familiar with the original gear, that sound had been burned into their brain as part of "the sound." 

One fun YouTube pastime is watching something I said get misinterpreted over time - it's like that telephone game. For example, I've written about briefly introducing pink noise into a mix as a test, to simulate the "listening in a car" experience. Over time that became just "mixing with noise" and what a stupid idea that is. Which it is, if you leave it on all the time.

Or, writing that you can often improve the sound of amp sims by adding a notch at the "fizzy" resonant frequency many sims generate. That evolved into adding more notches in amp sims, then looking for resonances everywhere and notching them out, which was considered a stupid idea. Which it is.

Now, this may have been coincidence, but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure the genesis of these comments was articles I wrote, because a) they've been in my books, the original magazine articles, my web site, and referenced by other sites, and b) I can't find any references to these two techniques prior to my writing about them.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

maybe the sound of an HD spinning in the background is kind of like the soothing white noise

Hhmp. It is obvious that the vibration of the spinning HD causes an ever so slight variance in the departure and arrival time of the electrons carrying the digital information, giving the normally locked solid audio of digital a bit of analog feel.

• Haha 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

If I watch YouTube for five minutes, I'll be able to report back with a whole bunch of immensely dumb stuff. 

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity but I am not certain about the Universe." ~ Albert Einstein

Yeah, I know he might not have said that but it's true either way... 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:37 PM, RABid said:

The stupidest comment I ever read was on KVR years ago. In a thread about lessons and music theory.

"I don't study music theory or dead people's music because I don't want it to taint my own creativity."

It may dismay you to know that I hear this all the time. All. The. Time. And it makes zero sense. What's funny is that mostly, the most creative, innovative, weird, or different sounding music I've ever heard comes from someone who has really put in the time studying and learning music. 

Since far more music than not was created by the Now-Dead, it seems extremely limiting to discard a crowd of that size. Step 2 discards all of the mechanics, which I believe reduces you to free-form soloing on oatmeal box bongos.

• Haha 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"