Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Frank Baxter sells Piano World

ElmerJFudd

Via an email blast, 

“Piano World Has Been Sold!

To all Piano World Forums Members & Guests

The time has come.

After twenty five years as the founder/creator/host of Piano World and the world famous Piano Forums I've decided it's time to move on.
I turned seventy last November and have been lucky enough to have a wonderful woman enter my life.

I'm going to try on semi-retirement for a change.

I'll still keep an eye on the forums, participating from time to time, and I'll continue to tune pianos and play gigs. I'm looking forward to more time to practice the piano and compose, catch up on my reading,
get into woodworking, host and attend piano parties, and of course spend time with Lorraine.
My heartfelt thanks to all who have participated in the forums over the years especially those who have been kind enough to support Piano World and the Forums financially. And a special thank you to our moderators who have worked tirelessly over the years to try to maintain some semblance of sanity in the millions of posts you all have created.

For the rest of the details, please visit https://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/topics/3255005.html

All the Best,
Frank Baxter
(formerly Mr. PianoWorld, now MainePianoMan, new website under construction - - MainePianoMan.com )
P.S.
This will likely be my last newsletter”

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I turned seventy last November and have been lucky enough to have a wonderful woman enter my life.

I guess it's never too late to find love but d8mn...I wouldn't throw piano world out with the old laptop so soon.🤣😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

I guess it's never too late to find love but d8mn...I wouldn't throw piano world out with the old laptop so soon.🤣😎

I was thinking the same thing.  A lot of guys after a few years of marriage find a nice hobby.  Here’s a fellow who already has his side hustle up and running and he’s sold it to pay for the nuptials. ;)  

That’s a joke. All in good fun, darling. You know I gig to pay for our vacations.  :) 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hmm….. no indication yet of what is to come. I sure hope they come up with a different format- it’s so chok full of ads on both sides of the posts that it borders on unpleasant, definitely crowded.  Have to admit though they really attracted a huge audience, they are perhaps the biggest AP and DP forum on the interwebs?  For some boards like Kawai, which don’t have dedicated forums like Yamaha has managed to do, it’s as close to a user forum as most of us get.  

I’ve appreciated Piano World forums, but there’s no beating Keyboard Corner!  You guys are the best!

• Like 1

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

5 minutes ago, RandyFF said:

Hmm….. no indication yet of what is to come. I sure hope they come up with a different format- it’s so chok full of ads on both sides of the posts that it borders on unpleasant, definitely crowded.  Have to admit though they really attracted a huge audience, they are perhaps the biggest AP and DP forum on the interwebs?  For some boards like Kawai, which don’t have dedicated forums like Yamaha has managed to do, it’s as close to a user forum as most of us get.  

I’ve appreciated Piano World forums, but there’s no beating Keyboard Corner!  You guys are the best!

I'd say when I site like that gets sold it's to people that think they can sell a lot of advertising so I'd say get ready for more ad's.   My guess is they will probably try to expand the demographics and bring in others interested in other genres of piano.    

• Like 1

Perhaps, but at the same time I have found so many truly qualified piano experts/technicians posting or replying there that it is still a great resource when you're looking for some information. I don't frequent there on a daily/weekly basis like I do here, but I, for one, would hate to see it disappear.

My 2cents sharp...

Jerry

12 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

The place leads the internet in OT posts along with the same anonymous angry trolls always derailing threads.  I've found it generally to be a toxic community. I wouldn't be at all sad to see it vanish into the abyss.

I don't wish it into the abyss, but as Dave says, there's a whole lot of chaff to sort through for just a little bit of wheat. And it seems to welcome posturing and pedantry as the status quo.

I've wanted to make that place a regular destination (on paper, it should be for me), but it just feels like everything is a low-level argument all of the time. Not pleasant or worth it.

I'mma gonna leave some money in the MPN tip jar now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been there in awhile.  I don't much about the culture over there.  The Hammond / Leslie page on Facebook is brutal.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I'd love to see the good aspects of PW (techs, people focused on piano playing) become part of MPN and as well-moderated as KC. A bot can dream, can't he? :freak:

• Like 4

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

14 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

A bot can dream, can't he?

bot? jeez, I hate when these typos get by me. I hope bots don't dream.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On 10/4/2022 at 3:22 PM, Morrissey said:

Wait this one is better:  Nat backed by Oscar Peterson trio feat. Coleman Hawkins!

Is it just me or is Oscar overplaying over the vocal? I can't quite believe I said that since he is probably my favorite all time musician, but still...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Not just you, I get what you're pointing out. He's playing lines the whole time behind Nat... he doesn't actually comp any chords until Coleman Hawkins' solo. It's distracting to me as well.

Jerry

P.S. Of course, they're all great lines!

1 hour ago, Threadslayer said:

Is it just me or is Oscar overplaying over the vocal? I can't quite believe I said that since he is probably my favorite all time musician, but still...

9 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

Selling Piano World because you're getting married is like selling a life preserver because you bought a boat.

He married a young woman so probably doesn't have the time, energy or interest in the bunch of classical piano dweebs now.