Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me find a case that fits Hammond SK-2

Lou_NC

I recently acquired a pristine Hammond SK-2 and would like to keep it that way.  I just ordered and received a Hammond-brand SK-2 gig bag from Sweetwater (after months of waiting for it to be back in stock), and unbelievably, it is 7" too deep, and 5" too wide!  I can live with an inch or so of "slop", but this is absurd.  I'm in the process of returning it to Sweetwater.  I'm wondering what alternate solutions folks might be using out there for an SK-2, SK-X, or SK-X pro?  I'm not married to the Hammond brand, and apparently they're not too concerned about good fit, so if I can find an alternative that works and won't totally destroy the bank, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Lou

PXL_20220925_191713426.jpg

PXL_20220925_191722703.jpg

• Wow! 1

The Gator GTSA-KEY61 fits the SK2 if you remove the bottom feet on the organ. 

Unfortunately it doesn't fit the new SKX Pro. That's the organ I'm trying to find a case for. I bet you that "SK2" case is actually for the SKX Pro because the PRO is slightly bigger.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

The Gator GTSA-KEY61 fits the SK2 if you remove the bottom feet on the organ. 

Unfortunately it doesn't fit the new SKX Pro. That's the organ I'm trying to find a case for. I bet you that "SK2" case is actually for the SKX Pro because the PRO is slightly bigger.

I’d second this as I used to have the SK2 and the branded bag and it fitted like a glove. Looks like they may have given you the wrong case?

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I used an SKB iSeries 4719 when I had an SK2. It just fit the case. Served me well. I too am looking for a hard case option for the SKX Pro. Hammond increased the front-to-back width on the SKX Pro that made it too big to fit the SKB case. Probably going to have to go with a custom hard case option if I can keep case weight/size to a minimum.

Why wouldn't foam inserts work?  Rather than rack your brain over buying another expensive case, purchase some foam (it wont scratch your keyboard), center the keyboard and cut two 2 1/2" pieces and double face tape each one to an end of the keyboard case.  Do something similar for the 7" gap depth wise.  For $2 you'd get a case that now internally fits your SK2 rather than spending $300 for another case.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I agree with Dockeys... looks like they sent you the wrong case.  But still...there's really only a couple inches difference between an SKX Pro, and an SK2.

Stupid question - sorry - but with 7 inches difference in depth... are you sure you have an SK2 ? Double manual?

2 hours ago, skipeb3 said:

I agree with Dockeys... looks like they sent you the wrong case.  But still...there's really only a couple inches difference between an SKX Pro, and an SK2.

Stupid question - sorry - but with 7 inches difference in depth... are you sure you have an SK2 ? Double manual?

No question is stupid!  Yes, I'm certain it's an SK-2. 

PXL_20220925_191728382.jpg

4 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

Why wouldn't foam inserts work?  Rather than rack your brain over buying another expensive case, purchase some foam (it wont scratch your keyboard), center the keyboard and cut two 2 1/2" pieces and double face tape each one to an end of the keyboard case.  Do something similar for the 7" gap depth wise.  For $2 you'd get a case that now internally fits your SK2 rather than spending $300 for another case.

I'm weird that way.......it would bother me forever to have to shelp around 7" extra in one dimension and 5" in another because Hammond increased the size of their case.  I have a friend who owns an SK-2 and Hammond case (purchased a few years ago) and sure enough, it fits as you would expect......no slop. 

In fact, SO weird that I'll probably spend $100 on materials and just build my own lightweight "hard case" for the SK-2 from lightweight plywood, rather than keep the absurdly oversize Hammond bag.  Having a fully equipped woodworking shop and 40+ years of woodworking hobby experience, (while being stubborn to boot), will drive me to do that, I'm sure!  🙂

Lou

Another vote for "you got the wrong bag"

I have an SK2 and a Hammond-branded SK2 gig bag... I believe it is a previous version of the Hammond  SK2 bag.  Mine does not have straps inside the bag to secure the board but it does have backpack straps on the exterior of the bag which I believe the newer version does not.

My bag has an extra few inches of width beyond dimensions of the SK2.  Perfect size for an expression pedal and power supply.  Otherwise, the bag provides an appropriately snug fit for the board.  Your SK2 appears to be swimming in that case!

I used this for years for my SK2 and it turned out that despite the dimensions listed by Gator it fits the SKpro snug as a bug in a rug with room for extra padding and protection as shown

https://gatorco.com/shop/keyboard/bags-keyboard/61-note-keyboard-gig-bag-gkb-61/

F582D8F5-31C8-4AD3-B6F8-CE6D35044F7A.thumb.jpeg.e6d532fda8190b2f62d405b8d290ca3a.jpegD6341DC8-4D6C-481F-8555-C47E90CF93B0.thumb.jpeg.271c9e46d33a37f922542c49c2c1b199.jpeg161B156E-3B7D-43F0-B168-4DFDF6BE3EEA.thumb.jpeg.0cffa745bd9a9ad18bab3a9dc0fbf080.jpegCD54AB02-8F88-438F-9798-B8F8DBB5AD3B.thumb.jpeg.f8a90db4e94df42584e52be13da11245.jpegF2B56E0A-1456-4847-B468-A1FD47D2938C.thumb.jpeg.2cf0dfab9463e0c664245fe9309000c4.jpeg

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

9 hours ago, niacin said:

I used this for years for my SK2 and it turned out that despite the dimensions listed by Gator it fits the SKpro snug as a bug in a rug with room for extra padding and protection as shown

https://gatorco.com/shop/keyboard/bags-keyboard/61-note-keyboard-gig-bag-gkb-61/

Hey thanks, that looks like a great option!  Gator lists the interior height of the GKB-61 as 5", but if your SKX-Pro fits (height 7.2") then the SK-2 should definitely fit (height 6.7"). 

Lou

On 9/28/2022 at 1:57 PM, Lou_NC said:

Hey thanks, that looks like a great option!  Gator lists the interior height of the GKB-61 as 5", but if your SKX-Pro fits (height 7.2") then the SK-2 should definitely fit (height 6.7"). 

Lou

Just received my Gator GKB-61 case from Amazon, fits the SK-2 perfectly!  Can't believe Hammond's own case is now so badly sized........must be a recent manufacturing error, as a friend owns an older Hammond case that fits his SK-2 perfectly.  Didn't grab a photo of my SK-2 in the Gator case, but it looks just like niacin's photos above.  Best of all the Gator was $120 on Amazon, essentially the same price as the Hammond.  I'm happy with the quality. 

Here's a photo of the tag. If you order this case be careful, you DON'T want the "slim" version of the GKB-61 case, that's for a single-manual 61-key board.  Check the UPC from the tag against what you're ordering to be sure you order the right one for a dual-manual keyboard.

Gator GKB-61 case tag.jpg

• 9 months later...

I was recently looking for a case for a Nautilus 73. Tried a Gator case but it was too big and loose. Came across a case on Sweetwater that was supposedly for the XKPro but the dimensions looked way too big. However it fit the Nautilus like the proverbial glove so I’m wondering if it’s actually for the SK-2 or SKXPro. You might want to check that out although I see this thread is pretty old so it may be too much after the fact. And I did put the SKPro in it and it was way too big and loose. 

• Like 1