Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does anyone have the lightweight K & M Keyboard Stand 18880?

i have 18820 that stays under a vpc1 at home and 18953 w/ stackers that is heavy/bulky & takes awhile to setup, tho is solid as a rock, built like a tank etc. Thinking about gettting one of these + stacker, to make things faster/lighter on the road.

Think it will be wobbly with a YC88 + sk pro 61? 

Does it fold up (just as easily) with crossbar still on it?

Cool that stackers can stay on, when folded up, afaict.

I like the setup design and the low weight but the folded profile is still too large. Is it not?

Sure if going from an X stand its not that much different carrying either  but I got sick of the size of a folded X stand.

After years of love for my top quality vintage X stand which replaced my Apex tower its folded profile and weight cheesed me off. Ive choosen a more portable packed up solution. But always looking at different designs like all of us.

So with this stand in review they addressed the weight but not the folded profile.

My question :   are the owners here happy with the folded profile for transporting. The other attributes speak for themselves but withot seeing one folded in front of me for scale I am assuming its gigantic folded up.

1 hour ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

I like the setup design and the low weight but the folded profile is still too large. Is it not?

I find it light enough to lay on top of other gear with no worries about damage.  I leave all the tiers set up, and just fold it.  The ease of use, and lack of weight are well worth any size issues. 

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

11 minutes ago, Michael Wright said:

I find it light enough to lay on top of other gear with no worries about damage.  I leave all the tiers set up, and just fold it.  The ease of use, and lack of weight are well worth any size issues. 

Thanks Michael

Ahhh yes the light weight does mean it can sit on top. Had not thought of that.

I found my quality x stand too heavy to want to lie it on a bagged keyboard. Usually sideways along windows in my wagon or underneath

The only time i did put it on top was in the back of the guitarists ute. I was panicking all the way to the gig. Especially in one of those 4 wheel drive hilux type of utes. 

Yes i can see that helping put up with its bulk.

• Like 1

This stand is the opposite of bulky. The fact that it folds up into an incredibly small package and weighs seven pounds allows for ultra-portable rigs that you could never pull off with an X stand (or an Apex, Invisible, etc.) For example, last night I played a gig downtown that required solo load-in and out of a Lyft. I bungee-corded the 18880 to the backpack case for my Numa X Piano 73 - an easy haul. And because (unlike X stands) the 18880 can adjust to any width, I could bring my four-pound, 20-inch-wide Reface YC, which sounded completely legit through the cheap Lester K I packed with it. All the gear shown here I carried in and out myself in one trip - that’s the real reason I swear by these stands. 

A33F1B90-1D0C-4889-BE8D-73FF0F35DCF0.jpeg

• Like 2

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this thread as I just bought the 18880 and 18881 extension in my aim to get the lightest rig possible. With a VR09 and YC61 and the stands it comes in at under 16kg! Great stands by the way and I did plenty of research before dropping for them.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I have them. Bone stock. No mods. 

A lot of miles. Typical load is bottom - Kronos 2-88. Middle- Hammond XK3C  and top - 61 key synth of choice. Shown is a FA06. Could just as easily be a Prophet. 

As all things be prepared. Carry a few extra bolts and nuts and a 10mm wrench just in case.  More weight you put on it the more stable it feels. 

A3A60AA8-EBB0-47B2-99EA-359A0EED8024.jpeg

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I don’t know. I’m 5’10”. Used to be 5’11”. LOL.  But I have short legs, 28”inseams.  The stands will go a lot lower and a lot higher.   The space between the tiers are quite a bit but guys have modded them to make that distance adjustable.  My arms are 33” sleeves. This. setup works okay.  Scott may have been the one who added more adjustments to the tiers. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

42 minutes ago, CEB said:

I don’t know. I’m 5’10”. Used to be 5’11”. LOL.  But I have short legs, 28”inseams.  The stands will go a lot lower and a lot higher.   The space between the tiers are quite a bit but guys have modded them to make that distance adjustable.  My arms are 33” sleeves. This. setup works okay.  Scott may have been the one who added more adjustments to the tiers. 

Taller than me than @CEB. Didn’t realise they went so high, impressive.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I have one, i bought it used many years ago with the 2 additional tiers.

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I gotta admit, I’m just not crazy about how it looks. I’m sure it’s a great stand, inventive design, but the accordion center thing just looks awkward to me. I’m sure I play with worse, but this just isn’t me.

I also worry it’s too short. I kinda wish all my single-tier stands went about 3in taller. I play standing, and am 5ft10in, but I tend to like my keys a bit on the high side and everything feels a smidge low than when I sit at a piano.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, was waiting for the extensions to ship. Great stand, weighs nothing, sets up in no time. Very happy with this.

20230503_125951_Original.jpeg

20230503_130002_Original.jpeg

20230503_200356_Original.jpeg

• Like 4

Sorry to add to this long running thread, but I needed an iPad holder and asked K&M if the 19791 would work with the 18881 extensions. They said it wouldn’t, but I’m a stubborn bugger so I ordered anyway.

I get that it’s not ‘compatible’ as per their range of products, but it works well enough for me. Only thing is, the tablet sits ‘upside’ down in the holder to be able to tilt it up, but there is a nut to remove the front plate so, if I reverse it 180 degrees, it should fix that problem. Either way, it works just fine. Clamp jaw is just over 30mm so if you have that on your stands, this is a nicely made and configurable tablet holder that will accept up to the 12.9” pro. @Chummy might be interesting for you when you get an iPad in your setup.

20230505_194021_Original.jpeg

20230505_194050_Original.jpeg

20230505_194300_Original.jpeg

20230505_194353_Original.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting Paul, looks like a sleek iPad setup and keyboard rig.

Looks like this iPad stand can clamp into whatever , doesn't have to be a K&M product. 

I have my K and M stand for home while I gig with a Roland Z stand (an older gen) I think it should still work nicely^

so far though I'm holding out on a purchase since I might be moving soon..

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

3 hours ago, Chummy said:

Very interesting Paul, looks like a sleek iPad setup and keyboard rig.

Looks like this iPad stand can clamp into whatever , doesn't have to be a K&M product. 

I have my K and M stand for home while I gig with a Roland Z stand (an older gen) I think it should still work nicely^

so far though I'm holding out on a purchase since I might be moving soon..

As long as it’s no bigger than 30mm diameter, you would be fine.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 10:47 PM, Paul Woodward said:

Resurrecting this thread as I just bought the 18880 and 18881 extension in my aim to get the lightest rig possible. With a VR09 and YC61 and the stands it comes in at under 16kg! Great stands by the way and I did plenty of research before dropping for them.

This is CRAZY good

Just my 1 keyboard weights around 20 kilos excluding the case and stand but including the pedal and cables. It's heavy and long.. (ES920 Kawai)

Imagine I had your setup but one keyboard.. 73.. I would be in heaven for band gigs.

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

1 hour ago, Chummy said:

This is CRAZY good

Just my 1 keyboard weights around 20 kilos excluding the case and stand but including the pedal and cables. It's heavy and long.. (ES920 Kawai)

Imagine I had your setup but one keyboard.. 73.. I would be in heaven for band gigs.

My Korg Grandstage 73 is almost 18kg alone and neatly embedded in my little studio, which is what prompted me to seek out the current set up which is around 25kg with iPad, stands and stool. That’s better for me, and the SL is narrow enough to go across the back set of the car. Too many boards have wheels to the left of the keybed making it too wide. Might be the placebo effect, and the full 88 keys) but (dare I say it) I’m enjoying the fatar board more than the RH3 in terms of gigging sounds. Korg still wins for solo sounds and some BIG strings and synths.

They do the SL in 73 keys as well, and that’s just 11kg…

Oh, I unscrewed the nylock nut that holds the arms to the main mount, twisted it 180 degrees, tightened it back up and it worked perfectly. Still rotates through 90 degrees if necessary. Good old K&M engineering, I now have it exactly as I needed it with 2mins of tweaking.

IMG_0311.jpeg

• Like 1

For anyone considering ordering the 18881 tier, consider getting the 18882 instead.  The main difference is that it has a hole at the back where you can attach the next tier, or whatever.

The 18880 is the best stand ever, for reasons already stated above, plus ease of minor mods to accommodate minor variations like getting tiers closer together (which I did on my first one.)

When I lost my first one, I got another.  But this time, rather than getting the 18881 tier, I got the 18882 tier, which is intended as a middle tier.  Instead, I made some wooden speaker tables that I use with small monitors (which I've used both at home and on stage).  You could also easily fudge up a mic stand to fit in it.

18882 with speaker stand.jpg

18882 without speaker stand.jpg

Hey, I just checked, and a cheap US Stands tripod boom stand shaft fits in the bracket, so all you'd need to do is cannibalize one (hack the bottom off so it slides out of the tripod) and attach (glue?) a couple blocks on the sides (so it fits more snugly in the bracket) and then use anything to keep it from falling through (which could be the top part of the blocks, just make them an upside-down L shape.)  Bingo: mic stand for the keyboard stand, always in the same spot.  Admittedly not in the perfect spot, but it'd  probably work, and wouldn't ever fall over.

• Like 1

There is also an advantage to the 18881 over the 18882... you can flip it to face backwards, to support the rear of a board when you want to have the front of that board resting on the rear of the bottom board.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)