Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sampleson Meta Piano - acoustic piano library using SCM-type modeling

ElmerJFudd

https://sampleson.com/metapiano.html

They say using 60mb install equivalent to a 30gb sampled “Japanese Concert Grand”.  

I know now some folks here like the CP1/5/50 CP4 era SCM acoustic and electric pianos.  Some SCM sounds also found on the reface CP.  

Give a listen and share what you think about sampleson’s efforts to do the same.   Youtube's below, soundcloud links on their site. 

They are using the same technique on their “Markus 88”.

https://sampleson.com/markus-electric-piano-vst.html

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Nice find Elmer - still awaiting the Pianoteq offering, but this is a step in the right direction. Very nice!

The acoustic piano did sound like it had a rather short sustain time (in an ADSR context) might have just been the playing technique but, after the initial attack that "after attack" sound seemed to fade swiftly.

EP sounded a trifle "muddy", but a good first up effort!

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

The examples on sound cloud are better on both instruments.  You have to click through them, I’m not sure how to share a SoundCloud playlist here.  

But I agree, there continues to be a “thin-ness” to modeled acoustic piano, maybe less so on electric.  Not to say it isn’t perhaps very playable and potentially useful - especially in ensemble context where we get compressed and eq’d either way.  

If there is a demo, I’m going to give it a spin.  $59 is a little hot just to try it.  Especially when they have to compete with Pianoteq.   

• Like 2

Yeah, there's something slightly off about it. Sounds close-miked and then some treble EQ rolled off. And the decay sounds rapid to me. I didn't get the impression of a wide-open sound in a nice concert hall. But I wish the developers luck in improving it.

Cheers, Mike.

Definitely sounds a bit clean and too "straight"--like the notes ring too precisely over time at the same exact pitch if that makes sense.   It immediately sounded better with reverb, not because everything does, but because it became more cohesive.

I could see a sound like that maybe working for a live rock band, especially if it can easily be set to be in mono.

I'm glad there are efforts to do pianos with modeling, it can only be good to push things from multiple directions.

• Like 2

Very close mic'd sounding. (But that can be an OK thing depending on what you're shooting for.)

The note envelope itself doesn't sound right to me in that demo...or at least I don't like it. The decay is too rapid and the sustain is too quiet for my tastes. I guess you could slap a compressor on it to try and compensate for that. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Simons said:

Yeah, I'm just not hearing it. Too bad, I wanna love it.

Well, we know from VPiano, Physis Piano and seven generations of Pianoteq that modeling acoustic pianos is very difficult. I’m also intrigued by the work and want to see it continue to improve.  👍