Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

e-instruments Upright Pianos for iOS

ElmerJFudd

THIS is what I’ve been waiting for…beautiful, long, decays with the overtones bouncing about. Enough character to keep it interesting, but not so much to be annoying…well for first couple of days dinking around with it. We’ll see if it starts to bend my ear in a week or two. Adjustable hammer and pedal noise is a welcome addition. Runs great on reasonably older iPads and iPhones…yay! I have a 5th gen iPad and an iPhone 6s. Currently using 256 buffer size; might try 128 later today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

You'll need Pure Synth Platinum first but try the upright in it, leaves this one for dead imo...I've been using it on iOS live

There are bout 16 presets in the pack (only costs about $4?? IAP) cost me $7 iirc in Oz dollars.

To me, it sounds more authentic Upright, The E-Pianos one, again to me, sounds more like a slightly tweaked standard piano.

• Like 2

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

8 hours ago, brenner13 said:

I’ve had issues with Pure Synth Platinum’s UI in the past, but I’ll give it another whirl. The demo sounds very nice.

If you get stuck, give us a shout...I'm no expert but I've figured a few "speedbumps" haha!

What I will say re PSP, is I was shocked to see the pricing for this same module for the PC version will cost well over $100 AUD :eek:

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

btw here is an excellent comparo video - as you will note Ravenscroft is the only one with some semblance of resonance...just posting out of interest :)

It's $47 Oz, but I might buy it and try it :D

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:56 AM, miden said:

You'll need Pure Synth Platinum first but try the upright in it, leaves this one for dead imo...I've been using it on iOS live

There are bout 16 presets in the pack (only costs about $4?? IAP) cost me $7 iirc in Oz dollars.

To me, it sounds more authentic Upright, The E-Pianos one, again to me, sounds more like a slightly tweaked standard piano.

I've been getting into iOS VI apps recently, as I transition over from my Nord Electro.

I really wanted to like the Pure Synth upright, but I'm not 100% loving it yet... It might just be that I'm so used to my "go-to" Black Upright sound in the Nord, that things will take time to adjust to.   I like the audio demos though - presumably they're from the desktop version?

This e-instruments upright sounds pretty good from the above demo video, and the filesize is much larger (1.3gb compared to something like 200mb for the Pure Synth one...not that filesize necessarily means it'll sound good - the Nord sounds are tiny in comparison).

Thanks for the heads-up Elmer!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

^^ Well James, I just bought the Pure Piano one, tried it for about half an hour and have now requested Apple for a refund.

I, like you , have played many uprights in my time, some decidedly dodgy!

The PSP just feels more authentic, particularly the Dark Jazz and Practicing In My Basement  presets

On 8/8/2022 at 11:01 AM, miden said:

^^ Well James, I just bought the Pure Piano one, tried it for about half an hour and have now requested Apple for a refund.

I, like you , have played many uprights in my time, some decidedly dodgy!

The PSP just feels more authentic, particularly the Dark Jazz and Practicing In My Basement  presets

Thanks for sharing your experience miden!

I sent the developer an email to confirm some queries I had. I got a good vibe from the person I was corresponding with, so decided to purchase the app after work.

Unfortunately, I couldn't really connect with any of the sounds.  The "morphpad" concept is a pretty cool idea, but I prefer distinct, individual, usable sounds rather than the ability to mix different characters.  The app installs to 1.3GB with 9 different sounds, however only one or two (the default and vintage) were useful for me - I don't need the cinematic, pad, damped, or reverse pianos. I couldn't find any info regarding the technical specs (no. of keys sampled, no. of samples/velocity levels per key, etc.) for each sound, but I was somehow expecting more for the 1.3GB download.

I thought it might have simply been a case of needing to tweak the velocity curve for my Nord, but even after some fiddling, and then trying to play the app using my old MP8II, still couldn't connect.

I went back to try the Pure Synth Upright.  The sample quality is not so good (some of the samples take me back to 8-bit audio creating tunes on the Amiga!), however its presets definitely have more character and are generally more fun to play, albeit lacking technical precision.

However, I'm still not sure I ultimately prefer the Pure Synth Upright to the Black Upright sound in my Nord.  At this point, I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to just re-sample that sound and compile it into a soundfont.  However, I'm sure there are other soundfont options that I should look into first.  I'm gradually realising that using an iPad as the primary sound generator is not the land of milk and honey that I was expecting!

Cheers,

James

x

12 minutes ago, Kawai James said:

Thanks for sharing your experience miden!

I sent the developer an email to confirm some queries I had. I got a good vibe from the person I was corresponding with, so decided to purchase the app after work.

Unfortunately, I couldn't really connect with any of the sounds.  The "morphpad" concept is a pretty cool idea, but I prefer distinct, individual, usable sounds rather than the ability to mix different characters.  The app installs to 1.3GB with 9 different sounds, however only one or two (the default and vintage) were useful for me - I don't need the cinematic, pad, damped, or reverse pianos. I couldn't find any info regarding the technical specs (no. of keys sampled, no. of samples/velocity levels per key, etc.) for each sound, but I was somehow expecting more for the 1.3GB download.

I thought it might have simply been a case of needing to tweak the velocity curve for my Nord, but even after some fiddling, and then trying to play the app using my old MP8II, still couldn't connect.

I went back to try the Pure Synth Upright.  The sample quality is not so good, however its presets definitely have more character and are generally more fun to play, albeit lacking technical precision.

However, I'm still not sure I prefer Pure Synth Upright to the Black Upright sound in my Nord.  At this point, I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to just re-sample that sound and compile it into a soundfont.  However, I'm sure there are other soundfont options that I should look into first.

Cheers,

James

x

Hey, James. What sound font player are you using on iOS?  

SF Pro?  
bs-16i?

SoundFont AUv3?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Hey, James. What sound font player are you using on iOS?  

SF Pro?  
bs-16i?

SoundFont AUv3?

I haven't tried any yet, but will likely go for bs-16i.

Do you have any recommendations Elmer?

8 minutes ago, Kawai James said:

I haven't tried any yet, but will likely go for bs-16i.

Do you have any recommendations Elmer?

I briefly was on iOS very early on with the first or second gen iPad.  the small developers came up with so many inexpensive fun synths, but the hardware was still under powered at the time, so I ditched it.  I haven’t used an iPad as sound source recently.   There’s definitely some others here that are deep into it, I’d be curious to see what feedback they have on sound font player of choice. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Be careful, looks like this seller does not approve refunds...just been knocked back twice by Apple.

Last time this happened I took it further with Apple and they told me it is not Apple who decide it is the developer...they have the option to NOT allow refunds for apps.

That's what I was told.

So be careful before buying!

On 8/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, miden said:

Yeah, I kinda like this one. Thanks!

On 8/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, miden said:

I looked in the iOS App Store at Pure Synth Platinum.  I didn’t see the upright piano anywhere.

1 hour ago, Radagast said:

I looked in the iOS App Store at Pure Synth Platinum.  I didn’t see the upright piano anywhere.

It's an IAP (in app purchase)