Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The most tweakable preset-machine

CyberGene

Sorry for the lame title. Reading another thread where Moog One is being mentioned as a synth with a lot of meh presets that needs people to program it from scratch, I remembered about my MODX which was an excellent preset-machine: all presets were wonderful, however to me it was difficult to tweak them in any way due to convoluted concepts and inhumane user interface.

So, what keyboard/synth/workstation do you think has the best of both worlds: tons of excellent presets that are ready to play but is also easy and intuitive enough to tweak these presets the way you want without having to obtain a PHD in its sound architecture and UI? 😀

I found the sound editing on the Roland Fantom-0 to be very accessible, for a board of its type. I've quickly done more sound tweaking on that than I've done on Yamahas, Korgs, Kurzweils.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You might think I'm crazy, and maybe I am, but my vote is the Jupiter X or Xm. Once I connected the USB wireless device that lets you audition, tweek and load the cloud presets it really opened up my Xm. There are a lot of really good patches on the cloud.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

16 hours ago, marino said:

I think Sequential would be near the top of that list for me, with most of their instruments.

My beloved Korg 01Wfd was bursting with excellent sounds before I ever got to outside patch sets, but I'm with Marino about Sequential. The Prophet-600 was my first poly synth and it was a jaw dropper, especially once I wised up and started running it through a reverb pedal. The presets weren't all that far afield from those of my friend's P-5, so I got a lot of mileage from it.

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

On 7/30/2022 at 4:21 AM, CyberGene said:

Sorry for the lame title. Reading another thread where Moog One is being mentioned as a synth with a lot of meh presets that needs people to program it from scratch, I remembered about my MODX which was an excellent preset-machine: all presets were wonderful, however to me it was difficult to tweak them in any way due to convoluted concepts and inhumane user interface.

So, what keyboard/synth/workstation do you think has the best of both worlds: tons of excellent presets that are ready to play but is also easy and intuitive enough to tweak these presets the way you want without having to obtain a PHD in its sound architecture and UI? 😀

When I'm in a mood to explore dozens and dozens of cool synth patches, I start twirling through all the iOS soft synths I own but rarely play.  Not great for bread and butter sounds (AP, EP, etc.) but a fun way to explore a lot of sonic territory for not much $$$.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The Big 3 all do (did) a good job with their romplers.

Roland's JV/Super-JV_XP/JD/XV/Fantom families, Korg's M1/01/Trinity/Triton families, Yamaha's EX/Motif families... they all offer lots of great patches and don't take a master's degree in sound design to tweak to your desire.