Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Reface CP - very high used prices??

ChazKeys

Well I owned one of these back in 2018. Bought it new with a bag for about £300 but sold after about 6 months. Just been thinking about picking up one up again and got a shock when I saw the used prices. In the UK they are going on eBay for up to £400. Japanese sellers are asking even more. Still listed at £330 at Thomann etc but not in stock. What is going on? Has it become "vintage" already? The auction below had 85 watchers last time I checked. Didn't include the original box either.

1690959798_Screenshot2022-07-29at22_21_15.png.5d3cdda589a7ddb31a78bf934475c7f4.png

9 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Prices are just up I think.   And some people like the SCM sound engine they use on some of the patches in addition to the AWM2 stuff.  

Yes it’s the sound of the SCM that made me revisit the Reface. In particular the sound of the Wurly, which is so fickle at being sampled. The mix of modelling and sampling gives it something  more than AWM2 alone. Wurly samples on the CP73 were OK but I couldn’t find a sweet spot that I was happy with. 

The chip shortage may be affecting the production of SCM chips. So might be a while before the Reface CP is back in stores - if ever?

I'm not that enthusiastic about the reface CP. The Rhodes sounds are audibly stretched, especially in the bass region where it is apparent how a single sample is shared by multiple keys. While I can hear this with my CP88 too, it's only for certain patches and is not that audible.

You can check the music stores again. I had gotten a Reface CP from Sweetwater a few weeks ago. I had been on a waiting list though so I don't know if they have any regular instocks or not. I ended up returning it. I don't know if was the Reface itself or the velocity curves on the Hammond SK PRO but it would bark too quickly and certain notes would play much louder than the others. You could give them a call & see if mine is still there as an open box deal. Yeah, prior to getting it I was doing a national search on Craigslist every day & they were selling there for either retail or over. I think one guy was asking $500 for his.

Prices in Thomann Music store are the same as before but there's none in stock and you'll have to wait many weeks for delivery 

BTW the lack of storing presets on the analog model makes it impossible for me to use on stage, therefore I'll pass ..

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

The Reface CP is a pretty good sounding little notepad for me. I mostly use it for input to Dorico for charts, and quickly checking chord progressions on tunes I’m learning. The sounds are good - the clav is better than the one in my CP4. I got a good deal with the soft case and guitar strap attachment (haven’t used it of course!). From the sounds of things I should definitely hang in to it.

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I will continue looking for a used one - the form factor is perfect and it was handy for trips. Hopefully, they will come back into stock in Europe later this year and the secondhand prices will go back down. As Doefler said you can get those sounds and tech in the CP4 - they pop up regularly on eBay for sensible money.