Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does anyone use wireless headphones in the studio (not to mix)

I've been doing some live streaming from my little studio, and one of the hilarious things that's happened more than once is that my headphone cord gets snagged in some of the lighting stands (streaming makes things really complicated) and causes pure mayhem. So I had the genius idea of using wireless headphones, but I wanted to do it cheap as a proof of concept.

First of all, Bluetooth was out. I'm sure I don't need to tell visitors of this forum why.

I bought some higher-end but no-name ear buds and a relatively inexpensive stereo wireless transmitter/receiver. It worked fine, but is there an industry standard, professional solution to go wireless with monitoring when tracking? Is this uncommon in big studios?

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose you could just use a standard wireless beltpack system as used on stage for in-ear monitoring. 

I'm not sure I'd consider it worth the $1000 or so to go down that route, but now that you've mentioned it, I'm intrigued. 

Perhaps you could borrow somebody's system to give it a try?

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Seems like a good idea to me.

As long as the wireless system does not introduce significant latency you could even track with them.

I agree that you might not want to mix with them, at the same time it might not hurt to listen to your mix on them as another reference.

A friend recently told me one of the things he liked about a recording I sent him of a song I wrote was that he could tell what the bass was doing when he played the song on the speaker in his cell phone. That was an intention of mine and it did turn out pretty cool but I doubt a cell phone speaker can reproduce anything below about 300hz or so. So you can't have too many reference speakers or systems, somebody is going be using one.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.