Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Software subscriptions revisited. What has worked out for you, and what has not?

The only subscription based music software I ever dropped a dime on was Sonar. That was back when Craig was really active at HC, and I hung on every word he wrote and every review he and Phil posted too.

Not long after, Cakewalk got bought by the Bandcamp bunch and it was free. My timing is always impeccable.

1 hour ago, AlamoJoe said:

The only subscription based music software I ever dropped a dime on was Sonar. That was back when Craig was really active at HC, and I hung on every word he wrote and every review he and Phil posted too.

Not long after, Cakewalk got bought by the Bandcamp bunch and it was free. My timing is always impeccable.

But look on the bright side...you have all the plug-ins, instruments, and accessories (like the 30th anniversary presets) that don't ship with the current version. And the BandLab people have increased the stability dramatically. I know people are still upset at how it went down...but if it's any consolation, imagine how I felt watching something go down the tubes that I still think didn't have to.

• Like 1

Now here's my nominee for the Ultimate Useless Subscription: Weather Channel Pro. They tout 192-hour advance forecasts, which doesn't mean much given that the 24-hour ones are wrong most of the time, and often they're not right in the morning about what's going to happen in the afternoon.

Here's my 100% guaranteed accurate 192-hour advance forecast: It might rain. Then again, it might not :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anderton said:

Now here's my nominee for the Ultimate Useless Subscription: Weather Channel Pro. They tout 192-hour advance forecasts, which doesn't mean much given that the 24-hour ones are wrong most of the time, and often they're not right in the morning about what's going to happen in the afternoon.

Here's my 100% guaranteed accurate 192-hour advance forecast: It might rain. Then again, it might not :)

When the sun comes up, it is daytime. When it goes down, it is night. 

Bellingham can have insane weather days, when I moved up here a friend told me that the only people who predict the weather are fools and newbies. 

Might be sunny and calm in the morning, then mid morning windy and rainy ad then snow that evening. 

Has been clear and hot the last few days, I wish it would go away but I'd never predict it!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 3 months later...
On 7/11/2022 at 6:32 PM, RABid said:

I finally subscribed to Plugin Alliance, the middle plan. Reasoning, it was going to be a headache to get my UA plugins going on my M1 Air. I bought a couple plugs during the 4th of July sale. ($17.76 was a really good price for many of those VST's.) Finally decided to join the $15 a month level. After 12 months I get a $199 voucher that can be used on sale items.

Well, that was July. Now it is November and the subscription service at Plugin Alliance has already changed. I have to say they did make sure to take care of their current subscribers. They grandfathered my subscription but changed the rewards. I'm still at $15 a month for my subscription but my new rewards are equivalent to their $25 a month plan. Instead of getting $199 to spend on plugins I get to choose 6 plugins within my group. Looking things over I'm coming out pretty good.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page