Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got a conga/perc gig in Mexico this summer.

I have been in the Vera Cruz region of Mexico the last few weeks playing congas with my uncle's band. His conga player got pretty badly injured in a soccer game, so I'm filling in for him for the next month. Now is the very busy seasons with end of the Mexican school year celebrations and graduations. Also the band has done several 27 and 52 year wedding anniversary that we're postponed due to COVID.

People love to celebrate down here. and the bands work their back sides off! The parties often go until dawn. The band does a 3 hour set, takes about an hour break and then another 1-3 hour set, hardly ever stops between songs. If they do stop, it's part of the act, with some funny jokes or audience participation type stuff.

Here's a cell phone video of yours truly on congas, playing a elementary school end of the year party. Interesting to note that in this day and age people still actually get dressed up, and kids, teens, adults (even elderly ones) all have fun together and get down to the same music.

On 7/11/2022 at 2:54 PM, Montunoman 2 said:

I have been in the Vera Cruz region of Mexico the last few weeks playing congas with my uncle's band. His conga player got pretty badly injured in a soccer game, so I'm filling in for him for the next month. Now is the very busy seasons with end of the Mexican school year celebrations and graduations. Also the band has done several 27 and 52 year wedding anniversary that we're postponed due to COVID.

People love to celebrate down here. and the bands work their back sides off! The parties often go until dawn. The band does a 3 hour set, takes about an hour break and then another 1-3 hour set, hardly ever stops between songs. If they do stop, it's part of the act, with some funny jokes or audience participation type stuff.

Here's a cell phone video of yours truly on congas, playing a elementary school end of the year party. Interesting to note that in this day and age people still actually get dressed up, and kids, teens, adults (even elderly ones) all have fun together and get down to the same music.

Oh Man!!!!

Hats off to everyone but you and the bassist were KILLING IT!

That's gotta be too much fun!! 🤩

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

6 hours ago, dixonge said:

hey, at least it wasn't banda!

Actually this is a full on variety band that does a bunch of  Latin styles, including banda , norteña, salsa, cumbia, bachata, merengue, pop/rock en español, plus a lot American classics and current hits. 

• Like 1