Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neo Micro Vent?

Chris Link

I’ve always used just the onboard Leslie sim (NE 2 and NE5D) but might try a Neo Ventilator. 

I run both the NE and a Yamaha P105 in mono (don’t judge me!) to two channel Radial DI to the board and my aux mix back to a headphone amp and IEMs. 

I’m thinking a Neo Micro Vent would be a good option as I don’t need stereo. I gather the stomp button both bypasses the effect (I don’t want it for anything but the Hammond sound) and controls the rotor speed. 

I guess I’m asking if this is a big enough improvement to justify the cost and having one more thing to bring with me.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not familiar with the Micro Vent (didn’t even know it existed). While many feel the “Vents” have been the gold standard in Leslie sims (myself included), the disparity between the Vent and on-board sims has generally become smaller. As you indicated, any incremental improvement with the Vent must be weighed against the cost, schelppage, set-up, etc., which will vary from keyboard to keyboard. Perhaps some folks who have used it with your particular axe will chime in.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Nord sims are towards the bottom of my preference list. I used a MiniVent with all my organs - Nord Stage, Hammond XK-1C, Mojo and Mojo 61.

There are 2 stomp buttons one for speed and one for bypass. I have the Bruce Wahler control board in mine which gives me great access to STOP as well as bypass.

I'm sure Nord sims are better now than when I last used them. It's a personal preference decision.

Moe

---

1 hour ago, Chris Link said:

I gather the stomp button both bypasses the effect (I don’t want it for anything but the Hammond sound) and controls the rotor speed.

If that was uncertainty, on the Micro the button is for bypass and when held it triggers between rotary speeds.

1 hour ago, Chris Link said:

I guess I’m asking if this is a big enough improvement to justify the cost and having one more thing to bring with me.

Short answer, IMO, is no.

In mono mode, there will not be any noticible upgrade than what your keyboard already has internally.  The Micro vent was designed for guitar players who want to use a leslie sim sound sometimes, maybe can be used for older keyboards. 

:nopity:

Question.  Does the microvent run on the same processor and deliver the same DSP quality, run at the same sample rate and bit depth as a ventilator?  

Where have they cut corners to offer it at $150 less the ventilator?  

i believe this is Neosystems copy, “We did it! We squeezed our highly acclaimed Ventilator technology into a standard size stompbox enclosure. But while we cut corners in size we didn't cut corners in sound quality. The micro Vents feature an equally powerful DSP as its bigger brothers, Ventilator II and mini Vent II. We even added a new circuit - an analog blend - which allows latency free mixing in of the dry signal.

Why two? 
The micro Vent comes in two versions, the black micro Vent 122 and the white micro Vent 16. But what's the difference besides color? You guessed it – the micro Vent 122 simulates a Leslie 122, deriving its algorithm from the famous Ventilator II, while the micro Vent 16 offers a newly designed simulation of a Vibratone guitar Leslie. micro VENT raises the bar for compact rotary effects pedals and delivers the best sounding, best in class rotary emulation.
micro Vent 122
Just like its brothers Ventilator II and mini Vent II, micro Vent 122 is modeled after the Leslie 122 rotary speaker. The algorithm simulates the classic micing technique with one mic for the horn and one mic for the drum rotor. The distance of both mics can be varied with the Distance pot. Just like the monstrous original, micro Vent 122 sounds rich and complex with deep movement and modulation. Perfect for rotary sounds that shall stand out. 

micro Vent 16 
micro Vent 16 simulates the classic guitar leslie with a 10 inch speaker into a single drum rotor. Yes, we are talking of the vertically suspended magic of the Fender Vibratone. The algorithm simulates capturing the Vibratone with one mic and the distance from the cabinet is variable. Compared to the micro Vent 122, micro Vent 16 sounds less complex and dominant. It is perfect for rhythm work and for giving lead tones the final touch.”

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hearing is your best judge ....  Cant speak for the E5, but listen to the E2, My buddy's band ....

E2 internal sim:. Notice how harsh the organ sounds...   

Same song two years later, same venue with the Vent. Note how much smoother the organ sounds as compared to the first video:

https://youtu.be/HTYsJ92l7Ag&t=98

20 years ago, E2 with speakeasy preamp and a 145 tube leslie....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

More broadly, I think you should look at either the Mini Vent or the regular Vent or Vent II. That Micro Vent is not optimal for keyboard players.

As someone who has been using a Vent or Vent II or Mini Vent now for well over a decade, it does make a big difference and is always with me, whether it be gigs, rehearsal space, at home, you name it. It is really a great improvement to internal Leslie sims.

As some have said, the internal Leslie sims have gotten pretty darn good, so it's up to you to decide if it's worth the investment in money and gear complexity. For me, I just mount the Vent in an offstage rack (I have one for gigs and also for rehearsals) and it's basically "set it and forget it" for killer, consistent Leslie goodness. I did this exact thing for over a decade in an earlier era with the Dynacord CLS-222, the equivalent of the Vent in the late '80s into '00s. I wish Neo would make the Vent in a true rack mount form factor.

I've got an Electro Harmonix Lester K, bought to upgrade the Forte's organs if I gig it by itself, and it sounds good to me in both mono and stereo.  Overdrive is great.   Probably not ventilator good, but it was only 160 bucks at Thomann (though I had to buy a different power supply--the one that came with it won't work with 'Murica's power outlets)...if you are in the states and buy from there, might be worth asking about.  Also, while shipping is high if you buy multiple items it doesn't tend to increase much at all, so it's a better deal per item to get multiple things in one order.

2 hours ago, eric said:

More broadly, I think you should look at either the Mini Vent or the regular Vent or Vent II. That Micro Vent is not optimal for keyboard players.

As someone who has been using a Vent or Vent II or Mini Vent now for well over a decade, it does make a big difference and is always with me, whether it be gigs, rehearsal space, at home, you name it. It is really a great improvement to internal Leslie sims.

As some have said, the internal Leslie sims have gotten pretty darn good, so it's up to you to decide if it's worth the investment in money and gear complexity. For me, I just mount the Vent in an offstage rack (I have one for gigs and also for rehearsals) and it's basically "set it and forget it" for killer, consistent Leslie goodness. I did this exact thing for over a decade in an earlier era with the Dynacord CLS-222, the equivalent of the Vent in the late '80s into '00s. I wish Neo would make the Vent in a true rack mount form factor.

The Neo website touts the Mini use with both KBs and guitars. 

But, one online retailer has them for the same price. 

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

32 minutes ago, Chris Link said:

Of course, no one has any in stock. 

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

17 hours ago, Chris Link said:

Yes, that’s what I said about the Mini. At one point I think they had a Mini for organ and one for guitar. The Micro is intended for guitar, which was the main question from the original poster. 

On 7/10/2022 at 11:45 AM, eric said:

That Micro Vent is not optimal for keyboard players.

Just because it's mono? Many keyboard players always run in mono live so it doesn't matter. According to the website, the 122 version is the same sound as the mini/full vent, just that it's mono. And the website states it is for guitar and keys:

Key Features

For guitar, bass and keys

Leslie 122 emulation (micro Vent 122), Vibratone emulation (micro Vent 16)

10 minutes ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

There's no mention of overdrive on any knobs or in the manual. OD is one of the highlights of the vent. It would be incomplete if missing. 

That's a good point. The mini doesn't have a drive knob but it's in the extended parameters. So the micro vent is totally clean regardless of input level?

(Assuming you're not clipping it of course.)

5 hours ago, funkyhammond said:

Just because it's mono? Many keyboard players always run in mono live so it doesn't matter. According to the website, the 122 version is the same sound as the mini/full vent, just that it's mono. And the website states it is for guitar and keys:

Key Features

For guitar, bass and keys

Leslie 122 emulation (micro Vent 122), Vibratone emulation (micro Vent 16)

I’m getting old and am wrong more often than not. Based on this info, sounds like it’s a winner. 

16 hours ago, eric said:

I’m getting old and am wrong more often than not. Based on this info, sounds like it’s a winner. 

Actually, it looks like you were right. As Jr. Deluxe pointed out, the micro doesn't appear to have OD. Unless it kicks in at certain levels and they haven't mentioned it anywhere, but that seems unlikely. The documentation seems to suggest that it is meant to be chained with things like OD pedals and reverb pedals. 

20 hours ago, DrEsophagus said:

I ended up breaking into a music shop and stole a few pedals, had to grab them quick cuz I tripped the alarm. Got   2 vents, really great 

This is as random as your other post about beating up your bandmates. A fan of dark humour?