Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Monkey audio compression safe?

Ok, get your jokes out of the way.... if you don't already know, it's a 2:1 .wav *lossless* compression codec. Has anyone had any bad experiences with it? As in a compressed file not coming back out? I've got a backup 40 gig drive full of some of my music .wavs, it'd be nice to have another 20 gigs....

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chip, do you have alink to where we can read more? [quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]Ok, get your jokes out of the way.... if you don't already know, it's a 2:1 .wav *lossless* compression codec. Has anyone had any bad experiences with it? As in a compressed file not coming back out? I've got a backup 40 gig drive full of some of my music .wavs, it'd be nice to have another 20 gigs....[/b][/quote]
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

[quote]Originally posted by AudioMaverick: [b]Binary files, like WAVE, don't compress. Maybe 5% on a good day...[/b][/quote] That is wholly untrue...many binary files can be lossless-compressed up to 98%, and digital audio files such as .wav can be consistently compressed from 40-60% by an optimized lossless compressor like Emaguc ZAP.
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

It it claims it's lossless then I'd give it a shot. [url=http://www.rarsoft.com/]WinRar[/url] actually does a pretty damn good job at compressing audio data as well, and it's shareware. If you can find it, Wavezip from Gadget Labs is also another good audio compression program.

Archived