Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Main Stage like software for an iPad?

cassdad

Help please for this old timer (me):  Kind of embarrassing, but here goes:  I know there are numerous mentions of virtual sound/voice software mentioned here in this forum.  But most of the time, acronyms or short words are used, and for me, not very familiar with all these software products (or how to actually use them), that offers little help.  Most of the time, I need the full name (ie. company + full software product name) in order to even research it.  I’m looking for something like Apple Main Stage that I can run on my iPad.  I’m at this pointed committed to the Apple / Mac world, as I use my MacBook Pro for Apple Logic Pro (which I’ve used for years) and a current iPad Pro (which I use for “forScore”).

How do I get high grade sounds from an iPad (what specific software)?  My understanding is that Apple Main Stage only works on a Macbook or the like.  (I understand there is a “remote controller” that works on an iPad, but my understanding is that Main Stage itself still has to be on a full-fledged computer.)  I’ve read here about some very good Hammond B3 software that I think runs on an iPad, but I don’t know what the formal software name is, etc.  Can I get Main Stage type sounds & library from something on an iPad?  (I have a MacBook Pro, but want to use only my iPad because I use the iPad for “forScore”, which I absolutely love and cannot do without.  Also, I therefore am using my one keyboard USB connection for the iPad / forScore and all the valuable things (IMHO) it does for me, like display all my music, lead sheets, Set Lists, writing with the Apple Pencil, and also instantly changes my keyboard settings needed for each piece of music.)

I’m further assuming (but not sure), that the way it works is to use the USB out on my keyboard (in my case, a Yamaha MOXF8), into the iPad, set the MIDI channel, and then the iPad would produce the virtually-created sounds, which go back “out” thru the USB to be mixed in my keyboard (Yamaha MOXF8 or the like) to be mixed with the internally-created keyboard voices.  Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help, greatly appreciated.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

Mainstage is two things... a way to manage sounds in a live environment AND a library of actual sounds to manage.

For the most part, on an iPad, these two functions are separated. There are Mainstage-like apps for managing your access to sounds, like Camelot Pro and Keystage. And then there are the apps you buy for the actual sounds. There are a number of apps that have a wide selection of sounds, though you can often get better sounds when buying different apps for the different sounds. Either way, whether or not these are of Mainstage-calibre is subjective and depends on your needs. Mainstage comes with 70 GB of sounds. The iPad apparently cannot stream large samples they way a Mac can... I don't know what the limitations are, but few apps have the ability to play samples that are larger than the amount of available RAM. AFAIK, there's only one piano app with that ability, Colossus. Even then, whether or not their piano is the best available on iOS (or whether their largest one is the best they have to offer) is also open to debate.

So the short answer, is there a single app for iPad that is reasonably close to Mainstage, the answer is no. But can you use a combination of apps to achieve much of the same functionality? Yes, allowing for the subjectivity that comes when evaluating the sounds themselves.

The most well-regarded Hammond B3 emulation apps for iOS are VB3m and B-3X.

You don't need the company names to look up apps, just type the names into the app store, they should come up.

• Like 3

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Suggest you look at Camelot Pro. 

I have never used MainStage, but from my understanding of it, Camelot Pro covers a lot of the same ground. 

CP organizes set lists, songs and scenes. It automates control over plug-ins and hardware synths. You control CP from almost any MIDI device. CP can display and page your score. 

The product has been out for a number of years and has gone through many revisions. The developers are actively updating CP to add features and to fix bugs. They are responsive to questions and feature requests. 

I am a heavy user of forScore on an iPad. Fantastic app!

That said, CP is a much more efficient way to manage keyboard settings and will host and control VST’s within scenes, songs and setlists, which forScore can’t do. You could combine the two, but you may find a single tool like CP is simpler. 

One of the nicest features of CP is it’s long list of predefined hardware SmartMaps, including for the MOXF8. CP knows how to control your keyboard out of the box. 

I hope this is helpful!

• Like 2

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

As always, AnotherScott gives a great explanation!

I would clarify that the way to get the sounds that Scott refers to is to download Auv3 plug-in VST’s from the App Store, and to load them into Camelot Pro. 

In theory, Camelot Pro will host all the B3 emulation apps Scott mentioned. I say in theory, because until you try a given combination of software in your environment, I wouldn’t trust it (long time in the computer industry = skepticism about untested hardware and software).

There are many great-sounding Auv3 synth apps that should work quite well in Camelot Pro. 

• Like 3

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

Thank you both very much - some great suggestions, very helpful!  The Office Thank You GIF

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

5 hours ago, DovJ said:

As always, AnotherScott gives a great explanation!

I would clarify that the way to get the sounds that Scott refers to is to download Auv3 plug-in VST’s from the App Store, and to load them into Camelot Pro. 

In theory, Camelot Pro will host all the B3 emulation apps Scott mentioned. I say in theory, because until you try a given combination of software in your environment, I wouldn’t trust it (long time in the computer industry = skepticism about untested hardware and software).

There are many great-sounding Auv3 synth apps that should work quite well in Camelot Pro. 

DovJ, if I may hijack cassdad's thread briefly...

I recently purchased a 9th gen iPad (should arrive by the end of the month) with a view to using it primarily as a tone generator, and eventually replacing my Nord.  I already own B-3X and am eyeing Camelot Pro to manage set-lists and sound settings.

My question is: how are sound settings managed in Camelot Pro?  Do I first create the organ sound I need in B-3X, then save it as a new preset in that software, or are all these presets stored and controlled from within Camelot Pro?

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

James, as it is an AUv3 - whatever "state" you have set in B-3X, is saved "as is" in Camelot. You don't even have to save the edit in B3...it will load next time you use that setup in Camleot.

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Sounds great, thanks miden!

I have a bunch of other questions on a similar theme, but will probably save them up and make a new thread after playing with the new iPad for a little while.

Cheers,

James

x

@Kawai Jamesit depends on the way the plug-in publisher implemented the Auv3 standard. I just tried a few of the VST’s I have on this iPad and saw 2 different results:

B3X - Doesn’t expose presets in Camelot Pro (see what @midenstated)

iSem - Exposes presets in Camelot Pro

Kong Module Pro - Exposes presets in Camelot Pro

With B3X, CP displays a “control” icon that opens the VST itself, so you could vary drawbar settings while playing, as the attached screenshot attests.F99623BA-73D3-4102-8FB8-EACC429F4478.thumb.jpeg.1fc92898a39d5420c6add532acd33909.jpeg

Here’s a screenshot showing how iSem exposes the presets in Camelot Pro:

CBAB1B9A-B4F2-4694-8D4C-7D56B14E3DB0.thumb.png.74fab931c6e9020886a2aa1efb3da0ec.png

You may have to inquire a bit with VST publishers to see what they expose to the “Host” - this isn’t a Camelot Pro issue, so much as the VST itself not making the presets available to the Host. You’ll likely see the same behavior with AUM, Cubasis or any other app that can host Auv3’s on IOS.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

DovJ, thanks for your reply.

Okay, I see.  Interesting that the behaviour can vary depending on the developer.

I don't have the new iPad yet, so will no doubt have to spend a little time experiment with everything (including getting to grips with Camelot Pro) once it arrives.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

James

x

I had a kind of related issue... Camelot Pro was not seeing my user presets in VB3m. I emailed Guido about it. He then got in touch with Camelot's developers, and then fixed it in version 1.21. 

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/gsi-updates-vb3m-to-v1-2-1-for-ios-and-android-54800

If only IK Multimedia was half as responsive as Guido is. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)