Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good busking keyboard amp?

Thinking about doing some busking around this summer. Does anyone recommend a battery powered amplifier that plays well with keyboards? 

Some of these types of amps I see online look like they might do okay (some cheaper ones between 10w and 30w) but I'm wondering to myself how they might perform with a KB, as they seem geared towards vocal and ac. guitarists.

• Like 1

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

just happened upon your thread . . . that really looks perfect.  If Volume is not an issue, if ensemble or solo, a few considerations came to mind  ..... always best to play through one 1st though to make sure you and your gear likes the sound... nowadays though not such and easy task ..

others more knowledge than I on the topic will eventually chime in .. but I thought it looked like a cool lil amp rig by the specs. and look of it for busking...perfect for the subways of Manhattan. I don't busk but have seen many players in the city's lil rigs ... 

• Like 1

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Check the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/176562-bose-s1-pro-vs-jbl-compact/#comment-2806903 - which deals not just with the two possibilities in the subject line, but some other alternatives as well

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I briefly had a pair of Yorkville EXM Mobile 8s. They have better specs than the others, lots of power, decent sound. But I barely took them outside, meaning they were plugged in all the time anyway. So in my case, the extra dough spent for battery powered speakers would have been better spent on better quality traditional ones. 

That said, for busking, how do you intend to run your keyboard without power? Is it a controller powered by USB to an untethered laptop? Is a battery-powered portable keyboard?

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

There are also boards that can run on batteries, like Roland Juno DS and a number of Casios... CT-S1, PX-5S, numerous others

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I played a few times with an acoustic guitar player that used the Bose S1 Pro; plenty loud with a five piece, easy going classic rock band at garage rehearsal. He used it at the show too, lined out to the mains.

It might be a tad bulky for busking at about one cubic foot and about 16 pounds but does sound good.

Maybe strapped to a small dolly would help.

I’ve got a small truck like this for my gig rig:

224AD74E-C9E5-4FCA-903A-38155A1854E7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drawback said:

I briefly had a pair of Yorkville EXM Mobile 8s. They have better specs than the others, lots of power, decent sound. But I barely took them outside, meaning they were plugged in all the time anyway. So in my case, the extra dough spent for battery powered speakers would have been better spent on better quality traditional ones. 

That said, for busking, how do you intend to run your keyboard without power? Is it a controller powered by USB to an untethered laptop? Is a battery-powered portable keyboard?

Battery powered keyboard!

12 minutes ago, brenner13 said:

I played a few times with an acoustic guitar player that used the Bose S1 Pro; plenty loud with a five piece, easy going classic rock band at garage rehearsal. He used it at the show too, lined out to the mains.

It might be a tad bulky for busking at about one cubic foot and about 16 pounds but does sound good.

Maybe strapped to a small dolly would help.

I’ve got a small truck like this for my gig rig:

224AD74E-C9E5-4FCA-903A-38155A1854E7.jpeg

Oh yes, these little handtrucks are great. I picked one up sometime ago.

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

Like anything else, how far down the rabbit hole would you like to go?  I borrowed the aforementioned Bose S1 Pro for a pickup gig in the park and it was more than adequate at background volumes.  I also did a nice trio thing at a beach wedding with a Bose L1 Model 1S using an external battery pack that lasted a good three hours at more substantial volume.  When I was looking at self-contained options, there were unwanted tradeoffs that led me to an external approach, albeit with more schlep.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Even a decent quality inverter could work.  I know petrol/gas isn't exactly cheap right now but many of them have good efficiency and can power more than just an amp.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

For busking, I'd say a battery powered keyboard and battery powered amp is the way to go. Adding a power unit is another (likely somewhat heavy) piece to have to transport, and more cables to run. (Depending on the kind you're talking about, noise can be an issue as well.)

10 hours ago, El Lobo said:

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used that Roland BA 330. 

I posed a question about BA 330 awhile ago in another thread but never got an answer.  I was wondering if the two 6.5" speakers on each side (L/R,) are used together to get a better base response? (like 4 10" speakers bass players like to use.)

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I started a thread to ask about experience with a Roland BA 330. Then I read reviews, which answered my questions -- not enough power/volume, distortion at any more than half volume, tinny sound, not enough bass. Pass. I'll stay with my QSC K8's and my JBL Eon One Compact.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I have a Roland KC 220 which is sort of my go-to for low volume rehearsals/jams.  Nice stereo sound as long as you don't try to push it.  Only 16 lbs as opposed to 30 lbs for the BA 330.  Typical underwhelming Roland keyboard amp but give Roland credit for at least trying to fill this niche for stereo/lightweight/battery.

I'm no expert at busking, but my concept of it is be light and nimble, maybe even public-transport compatible.  A KC 220 and something lap-ready like a Casio CT-S1 would fit the bill nicely.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

7 hours ago, KeyboardEric said:

It's an interesting idea, but no clue where to begin.

Here's a place to begin -- a "portable power station" here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095Y6ZTR1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

These are slick little units.  I did the math for my trio and gear at a beach wedding, and figured we could run 4+ hours, so fine for 3 hours of music.   They are also great when the power is out, camping trips, etc. so handy things in general.  It is not light.  

While there is an argument to be made for self-contained amp+battery units (e.g. convenience), using separate speakers and (battery) power means you can scale your rig up or down as needed: more watts, longer duration, play louder, etc.  

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

11 minutes ago, cphollis said:

Here's a place to begin -- a "portable power station" here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095Y6ZTR1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

These are slick little units.  I did the math for my trio and gear at a beach wedding, and figured we could run 4+ hours, so fine for 3 hours of music.   They are also great when the power is out, camping trips, etc. so handy things in general.  It is not light.  

While there is an argument to be made for self-contained amp+battery units (e.g. convenience), using separate speakers and (battery) power means you can scale your rig up or down as needed: more watts, longer duration, play louder, etc.  

When it comes to emergencies, mine is crucial for running my CPAP machine during a power outage, and my portable solar panels will recharge it if necessary. I'd like another one for my chest freezers.

FWIW, I bought an Ion 8” woofer/ 2”tweeter battery backup amp from BJ’s a year ago just to cover outdoor cocktail hours and occasional sets. Cost around $130.00 USD, sounds decent. I plug it in every other month just to keep the battery positively charged. It covers my needs.

Ion Pathfinder

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

• 3 weeks later...