Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing .wav files on iPhone as backing tracks.

This seems like a pretty dumb question in 2022 but what would you say is the best way to play a list of .wav files in a row, in order to perform to, on the iPhone? preferably w/out compression from a commercial music player. Also, using Dropbox (or similar) could be a problem since I'm relying on a wireless connection for my audio that could drop out at any moment. A friend of mine suggested Voice memos but not sure how to get audio inside that platform.

I have a vision of just bringing a keyboard and iPhone to a gig and performing to my own tracks running through the sound system. At some point I want to try and sequence stems but not there yet.

Thanks for reading.

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Documents or GoodReader apps will play wavs.  You can store WAVs in your Files app and save locally or in iCloud.  

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/documents-file-reader-browser/id364901807

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/goodreader-pdf-editor-viewer/id777310222

https://howtosguru.com/how-to-play-wav-files-on-iphone/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

6 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Documents or GoodReader apps will play wavs.  You can store WAVs in your Files app and save locally or in iCloud.  

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/documents-file-reader-browser/id364901807

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/goodreader-pdf-editor-viewer/id777310222

https://howtosguru.com/how-to-play-wav-files-on-iphone/

interesting! thanks for the ideas.

I just got a Ipod Touch 256GB and it plays back WAV files from the standard music library. Was really hard to find the info on that too. Excellent product.

I like having separate ipods rather than having my phone do everything. Sometimes need the phone for navigation in car and I don't want to have 20 million things on it draining the battery.

17 minutes ago, JohnH said:

I just got a Ipod Touch 256GB and it plays back WAV files from the standard music library. Was really hard to find the info on that too. Excellent product.

I like having separate ipods rather than having my phone do everything. Sometimes need the phone for navigation in car and I don't want to have 20 million things on it draining the battery.

Unfortunately I cannot afford separate devices for all of my various activities. Ideally it'd be nice though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I used to use iTunes to import WAVs on my Mac.  Brought the files over when syncing the phone.  

Is it still possible to do it this way with the Music App from Desktop/Laptop to iPhone? 

I guess I'm concerned about iTunes using internal compression on the .wav files. But maybe it's not a valid one.

I downloaded Documents and it seems to work nicely - even arranging the .wav files into a playlist.

10 minutes ago, KeyboardEric said:

I guess I'm concerned about iTunes using internal compression on the .wav files. But maybe it's not a valid one.

I downloaded Documents and it seems to work nicely - even arranging the .wav files into a playlist.

You can choose what format your imports will be in - AAC, MP3, etc. but you can, or at least used to be able to set it to not convert your wavs in the importing preferences. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

7 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

You can choose what format your imports will be in - AAC, MP3, etc. but you can, or at least used to be able to set it to not convert your wavs in the importing preferences. 

good to know.

You could even simply create a "Playlist" in iPhone Music. Just number the songs in the order you wish to play them and that's the order they will appear in.

I use my chart reader app to play my files (each chart has its matching audio file linked).

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

55 minutes ago, miden said:

You could even simply create a "Playlist" in iPhone Music. Just number the songs in the order you wish to play them and that's the order they will appear in.

I use my chart reader app to play my files (each chart has its matching audio file linked).

thanks, I will look into it!

57 minutes ago, miden said:

It doesn't seem like you can just make a playlist for generic .wav files in that app. They must be assimilated to the Apple Music app. Which involves downloading iTunes for my PC, and going through the whole rigamarole... Unless I'm mistaken.

16 minutes ago, KeyboardEric said:

It doesn't seem like you can just make a playlist for generic .wav files in that app. They must be assimilated to the Apple Music app. Which involves downloading iTunes for my PC, and going through the whole rigamarole... Unless I'm mistaken.

You can do it all without iTunes...getting the songs into your iPhone is pretty easy - you can use any online storage service. I think most are compatible with iPhone - even just use iCloud (it's what I use although I have a 200gig plan), IIRC you get 2 gig free - and that IS 100% compatible....you can even stream from iCloud if you really wanted to. You can create a playlist on your phone using files you d/l into it from , say, iCloud.

Just open the music app, go to Library>Playlists>New Playlist press the plus sign and add what you want :D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Just make sure you get no calls and audible notifications during the gig.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

20 hours ago, miden said:

You can do it all without iTunes...getting the songs into your iPhone is pretty easy - you can use any online storage service. I think most are compatible with iPhone - even just use iCloud (it's what I use although I have a 200gig plan), IIRC you get 2 gig free - and that IS 100% compatible....you can even stream from iCloud if you really wanted to. You can create a playlist on your phone using files you d/l into it from , say, iCloud.

Just open the music app, go to Library>Playlists>New Playlist press the plus sign and add what you want :D

Hey thanks again for being helpful. Unfortunately though - my songs are in my phone but the music app does not recognize them for whatever reason. So I think I'm good with the Documents app, for now at least...

Also it had occurred to me that running tracks from the cloud could become problematic, if my internet connection were to become compromised mid-performance.