Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jethro Tull Living In The Past--John Glascock playing a Gibson Thunderbird Bass

This live performance from 1976 shows John Glascock playing a sunburst Gibson Thunderbird Bass.

watch?v=m__wmsIn99E

I find this a little interesting, because Glenn Cornick actually played a Thunderbird (if I remember correctly) on the original 1969 release of Living In The Past. But the way John Glascock plays it here--it is so similar to Cornick's playing, you can't tell the difference!!

Now, John Glascock usually played a Fender Precision Bass amped with an Ampeg SVT amp during much of his tenure in Jethro Tull, but around the time Stormwatch came out, John was playing a red Wal bass and a Gibson Thunderbird bass. My guess is that either John Glascock did own one (which seems likely), or it was rented or borrowed from Ian Anderson, who owned a Gibson Thunderbird and used it on Jack In The Green from Songs From The Wood, as well as the Stormwatch album. (Ian played on all but 3 tracks off Stormwatch, as John became to ill from a congenital heart defect during the albums recording and died shortly after.)

I hope you enjoy this Tull video.

Yeah, and I regretted my Thunderbird gold-painted 50th anniversary edition that cost so much but sold for so little when I got rid of it months later. Couldn't stand the feel or the sound; it seemed more like a guitar than a bass. All the Tull bassists primarily used Gibson models. I've never figured out how they got them to sound so good!

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager