Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Student recital

Tomorrow I'm hosting a recital with some of my piano students that range in age from 8 to adult. I wanted to give them something for all of their hard work. I plan on giving each of my female students a single rose after their performance, but have no idea on what to give the guys. Any suggestions?

Thx

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I would try to give all a similar gift... Something related to the piano and / or music, as a key ring or a piano pin. I know you don't have too much time, but perhaps you can find something in your area.

All in all, have a great time in your recital!

2 hours ago, RABid said:

Hard to think of something equivalent to the rose, but I can tell you what I wish. I wish someone had taken photos. 45-49 years later I would love to have a photo of me at recital. 

I like this idea.   A printed photo with a handwritten note would be a thoughtful gift.   

Kind of reminds me a professor in college.  She was a bit of hard ass, but when the class was done I got in my mailbox some photos of an external event (this was 1992, so a real photo); I thought it was really cool.   I hope I still have them and can scan them when I do get around to finishing my project.  

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I usually make a framed certificate for them and composer busts. The kids like them, but this year I had adults and just gave out composer busts. 

I hope your adult(s) can deal with the nerves. One had a really bad case of the shakes trying to get thru some Bach. 

Do you guys start off the recital and play a piece? I know some don't, but I do to give them an opportunity to hear different music. Not flashy, something calming. 

Very normal to give girls flowers at the end of a drama or dance performance. Take if from the dad of a 19 year old drama kid.

Don't really know about recitals! Love the picture idea though.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Give everyone a sincere bicep pat and “well done” while you look them in the eyes and fill yourself with the feeling they are the most important being in the world at that moment. Crying like Stevie Nicks all the better. Go easy on the guitarist if he rolls his eyes.

• Haha 1

See all this about the the composer statuettes reminds me back in the day our piano players mom owned the local music store.   To help the neighborhood kids and try and get them interested in music she held an annual Art Contest and kids had to decorate composer statuettes.  Being kids and the 60's there were some really interesting looking composers.   From tons of glitter to wild paint jobs the Insane Clown Posse or Kiss would admire.    Cool thing it get some kids interested in music and definitely something kids and parents had a lot of fun with. 

On 6/26/2022 at 5:35 PM, Anderton said:

Photos are great, because they last. People can frame them and enjoy them forever.

Flowers die and start to smell after a while. Just sayin.' 

Hah, I was just thinking flowers were great because they're temporary.  I worry about clutter....

I also think as a boy a flower might have had some novelty value for me exactly because it's not the kind of thing boys typically get.  Maybe a florist could suggest something?

Anyway, hope the recital went well.

48 minutes ago, Outkaster said:

I wouldn't give them anything.

Tell them they we're doing it for exposure and they can come back next as long as they don't owe for any lessons.    

The local music store the all the student have to pay to play at the recital.   To cover cost of renting a room, setup, gear, and rhythm section for horns players.  Parents a seems to like it. 

We had all our recitals in the church where my piano teacher played on Sundays. Free, nice grand piano, and plenty of seating. I used to have nightmares about recitals. My senior year of high school I had 36 pages to play. I remember pressing the sustain pedal with my right foot. My leg was shaking so hard that I had to put my left foot on my right foot to keep it from shaking off of the pedal. I remember starting the first piece, and ending the last piece. I don't remember anyting in between.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

On 6/26/2022 at 2:35 PM, Anderton said:

Photos are great, because they last. People can frame them and enjoy them forever.

Flowers die and start to smell after a while. Just sayin.' 

So do the composers. Eventually they all became de-composers.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

BTW, if you want to go with roses, just give them to everyone. They don't mean anything different to the males than the females, unless you're sincerely expressing romantic love for all the females, which could make that a very uncomfortable day for you, what with all of them in the same place and the same time.

My ex (a violinist/teacher) makes cookies for the students and gives them all little bags of them, plus some other little things from the party store. 

It could be fun to bring an inkjet printer and hand everyone a picture of their performance in real time. I never thought of that until the idea above, and it could be cool. Make little templates with the date and stick the photo on that. It's cheap and easy, and meaningful too.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Something two of the local teaching stores do for their recitals.   The one piano only store prints up some certificates to each student and then take individual pictures of student and their certificates.  Then she post the pictures up on the store FB pages so everyone can see the kids.     Another teaching store that has instrument and rock band students they video the recital and posts clips of the students.    Parents can send the link to relatives and friends to see their kids.