Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT? "Slow Burn" songs

Not sure if that's the right term or not, but what are your favorite songs that start slow and quiet and build over the duration of the song?

My favorite has got to be this particular live version of "I'm So Afraid" by Fleetwood Mac in 1980. Never fails to give me goosebumps and damn near brings me to another plane, so to speak.

• Love 2
Stuff and things.

In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins definitely has this feeling, especially live versions of the song.

• Like 2

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Earth Song or Man In The Mirror by Michael Jackson.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

The title of this thread made me think of this song. Sorta fits, I guess.

• Like 1

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

1 hour ago, Skinny said:

Not sure if that's the right term or not, but what are your favorite songs that start slow and quiet and build over the duration of the song?

My favorite has got to be this particular live version of "I'm So Afraid" by Fleetwood Mac in 1980. Never fails to give me goosebumps and damn near brings me to another plane, so to speak.

I love this tune!  One of my fave Fleetwood Mac songs.  Thanks for posting this version. :2thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones

And, another Stones song that starts out burning, simmers down and fires it back up - Midnight Rambler - the live version off Get Your Ya Yas Out.

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On the Fleetwood Mac song, for a "pop" band, you have to have a lot of discipline to write/perform something like that, might be considered ponderous.  Thinking back to that time, FM was huge, they had some of the biggest selling records, huge stadium tours, I guess they could take chances like this.  I actually think I saw them on this tour, and saw them perform this.

Your post reminded me of this song

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

This is one of my favorites that starts from almost nothing and slowly evolves for over 6 minutes.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

The End.  If this were a baseball game, it would be a 17-inning marathon with a couple of rain delays, but those fans who stayed until the end would never forget it.

• Love 1

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

Al Green’s Let’s Stay Together. 

Who was it who said “Let’s Stay Together” is the basically same song as “Try A Little Tenderness” - they both represent an orgasm via the medium of music. The difference is that Al Green buys her dinner first…

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

Under Pressure - Queen

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760