Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A new alternative to Kronos and Nautilus

22 hours ago, Still VanDerGraaf said:

UK £1699. That's better than I was hoping for.

It seems a hell of a lot of keyboard for the money. Is there something I’m missing? What’s the catch? 

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

On 6/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, stoken6 said:

Yeah, if I wanted a keyboard that didn't have drawbars but desperately needed them, I'd probably put the Nautilus ahead. 

Cheers, Mike.

Unless, of course, you have to have aftertouch.  Then, the Akai is the obvious choice.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:55 PM, conundrum said:

The catch is It’s almost in Nautilus territory. Of the two, I’d rather pay a bit more for the Nautilus.

I wouldn’t, because Nautilus doesn’t have aftertouch.

In my humble but professional opinion, I don't feel that the MPC key is anywhere near a suitable replacement/alternative to the Kronos or Nautilus. 

I don't even really see it as a competitive option.  I think the MPC would be a better match head to head with the Fantom.  And if you want to get very technical, the Fantom 0.  

I plan to do a video very soon about this very topic on my YouTube channel.  Look out for it. 

• Like 1

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

On 6/20/2022 at 12:32 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

Different target audience of course from how maybe we use the Kronos in this community...

Absolutely. 👍🏿

Most of the KC community would not use the MPC Key 61 any more than they would cop an MPC One, MPC Live or MPC X.😁

IMO, if your gig requires a variety of bread and butter KB and synth sounds with splits and layers, a DP or ROMpler or KB workstation is still the better option.

However, for KB players like myself whose primary sound is an EP or AP or organ and only use a handful of sounds and samples, the MPC Key 61 as an secondary KB is a suitable alternative/replacement.

The bottom line is that it really depends on the sonic requirements of your style of music production and/or performance.  😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

49 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Most of the KC community would not use the MPC Key 61 any more than they would cop an MPC One, MPC Live or MPC X.

For a Kronos comparison, but in reverse... Lots of people have wished for a rack/desktop Kronos, a Kronos with no keys. Here they did the reverse... added keys to something originally designed as a desktop module!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)