Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A new alternative to Kronos and Nautilus

That’s very interesting. Workstations are hard to do well. I am curious to see the reaction once it’s out. 

Prominent pads on the left (and lack of any sliders) illustrate the perspective they are coming from with this (MPC boxes).

I find it supremely weird to have this described as an alternative to Kronos. Does the built in plugins feature a B3 emulation, 3 different VA synths, a physical modeler and 16 part multitimbrality using whatever virtual instruments of your liking?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

AKAI has tried this concept on "VST in a controller" and abandoned it before.  I understand this is different as it adapted the MPC workflow to a key controller, we'll see.  

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

1 hour ago, marczellm said:

I find it supremely weird to have this described as an alternative to Kronos. Does the built in plugins feature a B3 emulation, 3 different VA synths, a physical modeler and 16 part multitimbrality using whatever virtual instruments of your liking?

Why do you find it weird?  Don’t you get it?  Just because it may not have the exact same engines as the Kronos, it CAN have them and MORE, if it supports plug-ins.  You think that the only way something can be called an alternative is if it only clones the exact same features?

• Like 1

Different target audience of course from how maybe we use the Kronos in this community, but certainly cross over in capabilities.  A shame they didn’t include after touch as a way to grab some synthy people’s attention.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

3 hours ago, marczellm said:

The built-in B3 VST would be the AIR DB-33   https://www.airmusictech.com/virtual-instruments/DB-33.html

I would imagine you can probably load up any other B3 VST if the DB-33 doesn't suit your needs.

8 minutes ago, Konnector said:

The built-in B3 VST would be the AIR DB-33   https://www.airmusictech.com/virtual-instruments/DB-33.html

I would imagine you can probably load up any other B3 VST if the DB-33 doesn't suit your needs.

From what I understand, none of the current Akai MPC Live products will load a VST in standalone mode.   They will only run the plugins listed on this page:

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-plugin-instruments-insert-effects

They can be used with VSTs, when set to controller mode, but if you only use it in controller mode, you might as well just get a controller and save yourself some money.

I would not advise putting your money down on this MPC Keys until you're 100% sure that it will run the plugins that you want in standalone mode.

9 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

From what I understand, none of the current Akai MPC Live products will load a VST in standalone mode.   They will only run the plugins listed on this page:

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-plugin-instruments-insert-effects

They can be used with VSTs, when set to controller mode, but if you only use it in controller mode, you might as well just get a controller and save yourself some money.

I would not advise putting your money down on this MPC Keys until you're 100% sure that it will run the plugins that you want in standalone mode.

What do they use as a base OS? Some stripped down Linux? 

Akai tried this once before and didn’t hang in the market space very long.   Maybe if it supported universal stand alone VSTs.   Like a Receptor keyboard with real support.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

23 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

What do they use as a base OS? Some stripped down Linux? 

I don't know.  All the talk I've seen on the OS being Linux seems to be based on speculation rather than official confirmation from Akai.

Some people have tried to connect their Linux machines to the highest-end MPC (MPCX) but said they were unable to see the MPCX from their Linux machine.   I don't know what the level of expertise with Linux was for any of those individuals:

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Different target audience of course from how maybe we use the Kronos in this community, but certainly cross over in capabilities.  A shame they didn’t include after touch as a way to grab some synthy people’s attention.  

???  It has aftertouch.

25 minutes ago, CEB said:

Akai tried this once before and didn’t hang in the market space very long.   Maybe if it supported universal stand alone VSTs.   Like a Receptor keyboard with real support.  

How is that different from “support for 3rd party AU/VST plugins”?

30 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Some people have tried to connect their Linux machines to the highest-end MPC (MPCX) but said they were unable to see the MPCX from their Linux machine. 

Do you mean the MPCX was not MIDI- or USB-audio visible?

5 minutes ago, Mr -G- said:

Do you mean the MPCX was not MIDI- or USB-audio visible?

I don't know.  Only one person on that thread offered any detail on what they were trying to do:

"I have used the cheap chinese 6 dollar usb midi adaptor but that just sent weird garbled midi messages. When i lsusb in shell nothing about the mpclive came up, and same for aconnect -i -o -l command."

I just found that post via my old friend Google.

The commands they mention

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/lsusb-command-in-linux-with-examples/

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/aconnect-command-in-linux-with-examples/

6 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

No it apparently does not. 

The press release has it on the list:

25 Instrument Plugins

61-key semi-weighted keybed with aftertouch

4GB Ram / Quad Core ARM Processor – no need for a computer

16 RGB Velocity-Sensitive MPC Drum Pads with Note Repeat

Assignable Touch Strip Controller

2 Mic/Line Inputs with high-end preamps

7” Color Touch Screen with Multi Touch & Gestures

Audio Interface with high-quality AD/DA converters

Accepts Class Compliant Audio Interfaces and MIDI devices

Sounds Button for Fast Browsing

128 Track Midi Sequencer

Onboard Wi-Fi/Bluetooth

4 Assignable Q Link Controller knobs

Pitch Bend/Modulation Wheels

Dedicated Transport Section

4 Discrete Line Outputs

8 Audio Tracks

8 CV/Gate Output Jacks for modular integration

18 minutes ago, Radagast said:

The press release has it on the list:

25 Instrument Plugins

61-key semi-weighted keybed with aftertouch

4GB Ram / Quad Core ARM Processor – no need for a computer

16 RGB Velocity-Sensitive MPC Drum Pads with Note Repeat

Assignable Touch Strip Controller

2 Mic/Line Inputs with high-end preamps

7” Color Touch Screen with Multi Touch & Gestures

Audio Interface with high-quality AD/DA converters

Accepts Class Compliant Audio Interfaces and MIDI devices

Sounds Button for Fast Browsing

128 Track Midi Sequencer

Onboard Wi-Fi/Bluetooth

4 Assignable Q Link Controller knobs

Pitch Bend/Modulation Wheels

Dedicated Transport Section

4 Discrete Line Outputs

8 Audio Tracks

8 CV/Gate Output Jacks for modular integration

Ah then I read that wrong… ok then.  So maybe their market research will payoff with the laptop crowd.  

5 hours ago, Radagast said:

Why do you find it weird?  Don’t you get it?  Just because it may not have the exact same engines as the Kronos, it CAN have them and MORE, if it supports plug-ins.  You think that the only way something can be called an alternative is if it only clones the exact same features?

Just curious if you’ve used a Kronos before? A cohesive workstation is rather different than cramming 25 VSTs in a box. How are they integrated? How does patch management work? What is the CPU horsepower available to drive all this stuff? Polyphony? Sample libraries? Direct disk streaming or have to preload to RAM? Effects- In each VST? Global? 

Many folks use hardware workstations expressly because they aren’t MainStage in a box. The OpenLabs Neko had this problem - essentially a nice PC in an enclosure with a keyboard on it. Integration of its parts was less than perfect.

I’m sure this board does at least a reasonable job at many of these things, but how well it does was not clear to me from that pre-release notice.

• Like 1

This is still the MPC OS. You can't run any VST. And even if they opened the platform, I can't imagine there's enough of a market to make it worth a third-party dev's time to develop for it.

Also, what Akai did before (along with other inMusic brands M-Audio and Alesis) was create a controller (Advance) that integrated with VST hosting software, called VIP. THAT product had a ton of potential. Oh well.

-John

• Like 2
I make software noises.

On 6/21/2022 at 12:03 PM, ABECK said:

Are the MPC plugins any good?  I can't recall hearing much about them.

IMO, the AIR sound library in Akai MPCs is good enough for gigging musicians too.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"